APC Back-UPS Pro 650IPNP half dumb?

Pavel Boček

Hi all,

I got few of these line-interactive APC "Back-UPS Pro 650IPNP" units, this is exactly the label on the usual white sticker. Not sure if it actually is "BP650IPNP" or some different version or what than, because I can not get any usefull information from them even though they should support it. They talk to me in Smart mode, that works. They however do not work with Powerchute business in Smart mode, not at all with Personal. The ancient Powerchute Plus works pretty much the same as apcupsd, meaning I get nothing about battery, runtime, load. I use win version but that does not matter here.

I've of course connected directly to them via terminal using the usual "custom smart cable" (the 940-0024x). The units pretty much tell me the same as they tell apcupsd, that means just their model name, firmware, serial number and few of these not that important things. They return nothing at all to pretty much most of the other commands, including the important ones - battery/line voltage, load, runtime, frequency, nothing.

What is strange is that I can still run into old forum posts (old=5-15 years) where people got all the information from these units, including runtime guesstimate. Not me. The firmware though looks strange, it is 51.1.L which would, according to "Interpretation of the New Firmware Revision", suggest some strange configuration with "Simple Signal, if detectable". Not to mention the weird 51 ID.

According to component markings I guesstimate they have been assembled in 1997 or so. So is it possible I got some early strange versions which support Smart protocol, but are totaly dumb and tell me nothing more than "on-line" and "on-battery"? Information about these units are scarce today, what is interesting is that the electronics is about 98% same as in later APC Smart-UPS SC family units. So APC somewhat just threw the Back-UPS Pro family overboard but later made new series on mostly the same electronics (just with full set of Smart features) and it is still being sold. Even stranger is I have already run into a Back-UPS Pro 1000 VA with sine-wave output (!) while AFAIK these should never have had sine-wave. This is total mess…

--
S uctivým pozdravem/best regards,

Pavel Boček
Jabber: [hidden email]
+420 739 190 151
http://www.hwworld.cz (kondenzátory, akumulátory, baterie aj./capacitors and more)
http://www.hardwareinsights.com (power supply reviews and more)

Re: APC Back-UPS Pro 650IPNP half dumb?

Trevor Roydhouse
Pavel Boček wrote on 15/03/2017 07:49:

> I got few of these line-interactive APC "Back-UPS Pro 650IPNP" units,
> this is exactly the label on the usual white sticker. Not sure if it
> actually is "BP650IPNP" or some different version or what than,
> because I can not get any usefull information from them even though
> they should
> support it. They talk to me in Smart mode, that works. They however do
> not work with Powerchute business in Smart mode, not at all with
> Personal. The ancient Powerchute Plus works pretty much the same as
> apcupsd, meaning I get nothing about battery, runtime, load. I use win
> version but that does not matter here.
I've managed to get them to work with apcupsd in the past by putting
them into "program mode" and not exiting that mode. See the apcupsd
manual for details of program mode.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: APC Back-UPS Pro 650IPNP half dumb?

Pavel Boček

And did they tell you more information in that state? It's not that they don't work with apcupsd at all, they do. Just that they report some static data, and than only on-line/on-battery, so like any other dumb UPS (e. g. old Back-UPS).

So we have to guesstimate the time to run before shutdown, which initially will not utilise the battery fully, and after few years it may be too long for it to handle (so the time will have to be lowered). Would be nice if the UPS told these informations itself ;-)

Pavel Boček wrote on 15/03/2017 17:59:
 > And did they tell you more information in that state?

Yes, that's the result I obtained.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment