APC NS 650M1

Mike Tancsa
Hi Guys,
        Has anyone got this new model to work with apcupsd ? I tried with the
latest version from the FreeBSD ports, but no luck for the status

# apcaccess
APC      : 001,032,0725
DATE     : 2017-01-17 11:42:10 -0500
HOSTNAME : offsite2.sentex.ca
VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) freebsd
UPSNAME  : offsite2.sentex.ca
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2017-01-17 11:39:32 -0500
MODEL    :
STATUS   :
LINEV    : 0.0 Volts
LOADPCT  : 0.0 Percent
BCHARGE  : 88.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 94.1 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
SENSE    : Unknown
LOTRANS  : -1.0 Volts
HITRANS  : -1.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV    : 0.0 Volts
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x05000000
SERIALNO :
BATTDATE :
NOMINV   : 0 Volts
NOMBATTV : 0.0 Volts
END APC  : 2017-01-17 11:42:30 -0500

ugen0.4: <American Power Conversion Back-UPS NS 650M1 FW929.a5 .D USB
FWa5> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (2mA)

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000  <Probed by interface class>
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x051d
  idProduct = 0x0002
  bcdDevice = 0x0090
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <retrieving string failed>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <retrieving string failed>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <retrieving string failed>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

--
-------------------
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400

Re: APC NS 650M1

Mike Tancsa
On 1/17/2017 11:45 AM, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> Has anyone got this new model to work with apcupsd ? I tried with the
> latest version from the FreeBSD ports, but no luck for the status

Some debug output attached.

        ---Mike

--
-------------------
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, [hidden email]
Providing Internet services since 1994 www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada   http://www.tancsa.com/

apc.txt.gz (5K) Download Attachment

Re: APC NS 650M1

Can you confirm that this is the device you have, please:

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-650VA-120V-1-USB-charging-port-Retail/P-BN650M1

Ted

On 1/18/2017 6:02 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you confirm that this is the device you have, please:
>
> http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-650VA-120V-1-USB-charging-port-Retail/P-BN650M1

Yes, thats the one. Its going to be replacing the ES line it seems.

        ---Mike

--
-------------------
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, [hidden email]
Providing Internet services since 1994 www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada   http://www.tancsa.com/

Re: APC NS 650M1

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
The description says it has a USB charging port not a USB management port.

If it does not ship with a copy of PowerChute then it is almost
certainly not monitor-able by apcupsd.

bestbuy.com has the backups 750 es for sale I think that is the only
monitorable one in the "ups-that-looks-like-a-power-strip" line.

Some of the smaller VA backups have USB ports on them but those ports
are not monitoring ports.

Ted

On 1/18/2017 6:17 AM, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> On 1/18/2017 6:02 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you confirm that this is the device you have, please:
>>
>> http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-650VA-120V-1-USB-charging-port-Retail/P-BN650M1
>
> Yes, thats the one. Its going to be replacing the ES line it seems.
>
> ---Mike

Re: APC NS 650M1

Mike Tancsa
On 1/19/2017 1:05 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> The description says it has a USB charging port not a USB management port.

Actually, it has both. It comes with the dataport USB cable and the
manual says to download PowerChute personal edition from the website.

> If it does not ship with a copy of PowerChute then it is almost
> certainly not monitor-able by apcupsd.
>
> bestbuy.com has the backups 750 es for sale I think that is the only
> monitorable one in the "ups-that-looks-like-a-power-strip" line.

We were told these are EOL :(

        ---Mike

--
-------------------
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, [hidden email]
Providing Internet services since 1994 www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada   http://www.tancsa.com/

Re: APC NS 650M1

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
Mike,

Please download powerchute and put it on a windows box and plug it
into this UPS and see if it works.

Ted

On 1/19/2017 6:15 AM, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> On 1/19/2017 1:05 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> The description says it has a USB charging port not a USB management port.
>
> Actually, it has both. It comes with the dataport USB cable and the
> manual says to download PowerChute personal edition from the website.
>

>> If it does not ship with a copy of PowerChute then it is almost
>> certainly not monitor-able by apcupsd.
>>
>> bestbuy.com has the backups 750 es for sale I think that is the only
>> monitorable one in the "ups-that-looks-like-a-power-strip" line.
>
> We were told these are EOL :(
>

> ---Mike

Re: APC NS 650M1

Mike Tancsa
On 1/19/2017 10:56 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Please download powerchute and put it on a windows box and plug it
> into this UPS and see if it works.

Hi,
        It does work. Tested it with the version here

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/PowerChute-Personal-Edition-V3-0-2-for-Windows-10-8-7-Vista-XP-Home-Server-Multi-Language-/P-SFPCPE302

on a windows 10 desktop.

        ---Mike

--
-------------------
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, [hidden email]
Providing Internet services since 1994 www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada   http://www.tancsa.com/

power-chute.JPG (118K) Download Attachment

Re: APC NS 650M1

Ted Mittelstaedt-5

I suspect if you want it supported you are going to have to email Adam
Kropelin directly and ask if you can send it to him until he can
get time to add support for it.

I have a couple of the older ES-style units around here that should work
- if you will pay to ship your new unit to him so he can add support,
I'll give you one of my units and I'll pay shipping.

Ted

On 1/20/2017 7:36 AM, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> On 1/19/2017 10:56 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> Please download powerchute and put it on a windows box and plug it
>> into this UPS and see if it works.
>
> Hi,
> It does work. Tested it with the version here
>
> http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/PowerChute-Personal-Edition-V3-0-2-for-Windows-10-8-7-Vista-XP-Home-Server-Multi-Language-/P-SFPCPE302
>
> on a windows 10 desktop.
>
> ---Mike

Re: APC NS 650M1

Mike Tancsa
I would be happy to donate a UPS or two to Adam if he can add support.
Thanks for the swap offer, no need :)

        ---Mike

-------------------
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, [hidden email]
Providing Internet services since 1994 www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada   http://www.tancsa.com/

Re: APC NS 650M1

Adam Kropelin-2

On Jan 23, 2017 2:59 PM, "Mike Tancsa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would be happy to donate a UPS or two to Adam if he can add support.
Thanks for the swap offer, no need :)

        ---Mike

Hi, Mike,

Let's see if we can figure out what's going on remotely first, not because I don't appreciate the offer of some hardware but because my new place doesn't have much room for more UPSes...

By the looks of things, apcupsd will work fine with this UPS as soon as it can reliably communicate with it. From your initial email it looks as if most readouts are working. You're missing STATUS of course which is rather critical :-) as well as the model and serial strings. Tellingly, even the OS couldn't read those strings (see those "retrieving string failed" messages).

So I think what you're dealing with is an issue of your OS having issues talking to the UPS. I would recommend trying a Linux machine if you can get hold of one or even test apcupsd on Windows to to prove that apcupsd can actually manage this UPS. Then look at why FreeBSD might be having USB issues on your setup.

--Adam

Re: APC NS 650M1

Mike Tancsa
On 1/23/2017 9:27 PM, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> So I think what you're dealing with is an issue of your OS having issues
> talking to the UPS. I would recommend trying a Linux machine if you can
> get hold of one or even test apcupsd on Windows to to prove that apcupsd
> can actually manage this UPS. Then look at why FreeBSD might be having
> USB issues on your setup.

Hi Adam,
        You are right! It works just fine on LINUX.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x051d American Power Conversion
  idProduct          0x0002 Uninterruptible Power Supply
  bcdDevice            0.90
  iManufacturer           1 American Power Conversion
  iProduct                2 Back-UPS NS 650M1 FW:929.a5 .D USB F
  iSerial                 3 4B1630P12329
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xe0
      Self Powered
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.00
          bCountryCode           33 US
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength    1049
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval             100
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered
# apcaccess
APC      : 001,037,0922
DATE     : 2017-01-24 09:29:10 -0500
HOSTNAME : loadb06
VERSION  : 3.14.12 (29 March 2014) debian
UPSNAME  : loadb06
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2017-01-24 09:25:13 -0500
MODEL    : Back-UPS NS 650M1
STATUS   : ONLINE
LINEV    : 118.0 Volts
LOADPCT  : 0.0 Percent
BCHARGE  : 96.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 429.9 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
SENSE    : Medium
LOTRANS  : 92.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 139.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : 30 Seconds
BATTV    : 13.5 Volts
LASTXFER : Low line voltage
NUMXFERS : 1
XONBATT  : 2017-01-24 09:27:37 -0500
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 33 Seconds
XOFFBATT : 2017-01-24 09:28:10 -0500
SELFTEST : OK
STATFLAG : 0x05000008
SERIALNO : 4B1630P12329
BATTDATE : 2016-07-27
NOMINV   : 120 Volts
NOMBATTV : 12.0 Volts
NOMPOWER : 360 Watts
FIRMWARE : 929.a5 .D USB FW:a5
END APC  : 2017-01-24 09:29:44 -0500

On FreeBSD

ugen0.8: <American Power Conversion Back-UPS NS 650M1 FW929.a5 .D USB
FWa5> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (2mA)

 Configuration index 0

    bLength = 0x0009
    bDescriptorType = 0x0002
    wTotalLength = 0x0022
    bNumInterfaces = 0x0001
    bConfigurationValue = 0x0001
    iConfiguration = 0x0000  <no string>
    bmAttributes = 0x00e0
    bMaxPower = 0x0001

    Interface 0
      bLength = 0x0009
      bDescriptorType = 0x0004
      bInterfaceNumber = 0x0000
      bAlternateSetting = 0x0000
      bNumEndpoints = 0x0001
      bInterfaceClass = 0x0003  <HID device>
      bInterfaceSubClass = 0x0000
      bInterfaceProtocol = 0x0000
      iInterface = 0x0000  <no string>

      Additional Descriptor

      bLength = 0x09
      bDescriptorType = 0x21
      bDescriptorSubType = 0x00
       RAW dump:
       0x00 | 0x09, 0x21, 0x00, 0x01, 0x21, 0x01, 0x22, 0x19,
       0x08 | 0x04

     Endpoint 0
        bLength = 0x0007
        bDescriptorType = 0x0005
        bEndpointAddress = 0x0081  <IN>
        bmAttributes = 0x0003  <INTERRUPT>
        wMaxPacketSize = 0x0008
        bInterval = 0x0064
        bRefresh = 0x0000
        bSynchAddress = 0x0000

[...]

Hi Mike,

Follow the steps here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/USB

and file a PR with FreeBSD's bug tracking database, upload the
output to the bug, and then post a request for assistance in
the FreeBSD general mailing list

Ted

On 1/24/2017 6:57 AM, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> [...]
> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
> SENSE    : Medium
> LOTRANS  : 92.0 Volts
> HITRANS  : 139.0 Volts
> ALARMDEL : 30 Seconds
> BATTV    : 13.5 Volts
> LASTXFER : Low line voltage
> NUMXFERS : 1
> XONBATT  : 2017-01-24 09:27:37 -0500
> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
> CUMONBATT: 33 Seconds
> XOFFBATT : 2017-01-24 09:28:10 -0500
> SELFTEST : OK
> STATFLAG : 0x05000008
> SERIALNO : 4B1630P12329
> BATTDATE : 2016-07-27
> NOMINV   : 120 Volts
> NOMBATTV : 12.0 Volts
> NOMPOWER : 360 Watts
> FIRMWARE : 929.a5 .D USB FW:a5
> END APC  : 2017-01-24 09:29:44 -0500
>

> On FreeBSD
>
> ugen0.8: <American Power Conversion Back-UPS NS 650M1 FW929.a5 .D USB
> FWa5> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (2mA)
>

>  Configuration index 0
>
>     bLength = 0x0009
>     bDescriptorType = 0x0002
>     wTotalLength = 0x0022
>     bNumInterfaces = 0x0001
>     bConfigurationValue = 0x0001
>     iConfiguration = 0x0000  <no string>
>     bmAttributes = 0x00e0
>     bMaxPower = 0x0001
>
>     Interface 0
>       bLength = 0x0009
>       bDescriptorType = 0x0004
>       bInterfaceNumber = 0x0000
>       bAlternateSetting = 0x0000
>       bNumEndpoints = 0x0001
>       bInterfaceClass = 0x0003  <HID device>
>       bInterfaceSubClass = 0x0000
>       bInterfaceProtocol = 0x0000
>       iInterface = 0x0000  <no string>
>
>       Additional Descriptor
>
>       bLength = 0x09
>       bDescriptorType = 0x21
>       bDescriptorSubType = 0x00
>        RAW dump:
>        0x00 | 0x09, 0x21, 0x00, 0x01, 0x21, 0x01, 0x22, 0x19,
>        0x08 | 0x04
>
>      Endpoint 0
>         bLength = 0x0007
>         bDescriptorType = 0x0005
>         bEndpointAddress = 0x0081  <IN>
>         bmAttributes = 0x0003  <INTERRUPT>
>         wMaxPacketSize = 0x0008
>         bInterval = 0x0064
>         bRefresh = 0x0000
>         bSynchAddress = 0x0000
>

> ugen0.8: <American Power Conversion Back-UPS NS 650M1 FW929.a5 .D USB
> FWa5> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (2mA)
>
>   bLength = 0x0012
>   bDescriptorType = 0x0001
>   bcdUSB = 0x0200
>   bDeviceClass = 0x0000  <Probed by interface class>
>   bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
>   bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
>   bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
>   idVendor = 0x051d
>   idProduct = 0x0002
>   bcdDevice = 0x0090
>   iManufacturer = 0x0001  <retrieving string failed>
>   iProduct = 0x0002  <retrieving string failed>
>   iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <retrieving string failed>

Re: APC NS 650M1

Mike Tancsa
On 1/24/2017 2:41 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/USB
>
> and file a PR with FreeBSD's bug tracking database, upload the
> output to the bug, and then post a request for assistance in
> the FreeBSD general mailing list

Thanks,
        I will hook up the UPS to the linux box again tomorrow and grab that
output. I already posted on the freebsd-usb list and got a little
farther. Adding the quirk UQ_NO_STRINGS allows usb_device_desc to work

# usbconfig -d ugen0.4 add_quirk UQ_NO_STRINGS
# usbconfig -d 0.4  dump_device_desc
ugen0.4: <American Power Conversion Back-UPS NS 650M1 FW929.a5 .D USB
FWa5> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (2mA)

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000  <Probed by interface class>
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x051d
  idProduct = 0x0002
  bcdDevice = 0x0090
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <American Power Conversion>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <Back-UPS NS 650M1 FW:929.a5 .D USB FW:a5 >
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <4B1630P12329  >