APCUPSD - Linux (CENTOS) Now Windows 2003?

APCUPSD - Linux (CENTOS) Now Windows 2003?

Lists-26

I have three boxes.  (1) Centos Linux install with APCUPSD installed and working great, thank-you!  I have a Windows 2003 Server Box and a Windows XP workstation that I would like to do a shutdown when the Centos Linux Box sees a power outage and the Backup XS 1500 gets low on power and shutsdown the Linux box, is it possible to send a signal through my local network to my server and workstation box to have them shutdown at the same time?

I am new to UPS.  I was able to download and get APCUPSD installed in CENTOS 4.1.  It works great.  In trying to understand this package, am I in correct in saying that I could further set up the conf file on the Linux Installation to control shutdowns on a Windows 2003 Server (with apcupsd win32 installed) and also on a XP work station?

One last question, once the commercial power is restored is it possible or good practice to have the linux box come back on line as well as the server and workstation?

I tried to figure this out with the package I downloaded and I think it’s possible but not sure if it is and if many have done it?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RE: APCUPSD - Linux (CENTOS) Now Windows 2003?

Arjen Korevaar
Sending a signal over the network to other machines is not a problem at all. Just setup the linux box to
be the netserver and configure your win32 instances to point to <ipadres>:<port> as their 'device' instead
of the local serial or usb port.

Status information will then be transferred from the linux system to all other systems that are pointed
to it and that causes the other systems to shut down as well once power is lost and batterries nearly
discharged.

If it's good practice to let your servers bootup again, once power is restored, I don't know, but most
BIOS'ses allow you to determine system state upon power restore (stay off, return to last state, always
power on). I guess that should do the trick and this way you won't have to send WOL signals or anything
once power has been restored.

Your UPS will automatically carry through power to your servers, once the power is restored and the
batteries are at a certain percentage charged.

A. Korevaar
____________________________________
Website:   http://www.mephix.com
E-Mail:   [hidden email]

RE: APCUPSD - Linux (CENTOS) Now Windows 2003?

Lists-26
Thanks very much.  I just downloaded the Win32 and starting to go through
the manual to determine how to do what you have stated below, thanks very
much for your response.

This is great.  This way all 3 of my boxes will be shutdown vs. just the one
that the actual UPS is hooked too.  Thanks a lot.

Re: APCUPSD - Linux (CENTOS) Now Windows 2003?

Adam Kropelin
On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 07:12:41PM -0400, Lists wrote:
> Thanks very much.  I just downloaded the Win32 and starting to go through
> the manual to determine how to do what you have stated below, thanks very
> much for your response.
>
> This is great.  This way all 3 of my boxes will be shutdown vs. just the one
> that the actual UPS is hooked too.  Thanks a lot.

Just a quick note to make sure you don't choose an old feature... There
are two ways to set up networking. One is master/slave and the other is
NIS client/server. You want to use the NIS client/server method as it is
much simpler to set up and the master/slave code will be removed soon.

--Adam

RE: APCUPSD - Linux (CENTOS) Now Windows 2003?

Lists-26
Thank you Adam, I would have gone with the Master/Slave, thanks so much, I
appreciate it very much.

Steve