Any good SNMP tutorial?

Brian Hilmers
Hello, I am looking for good instructions on how to configure apcupsd to receive SNMP Trap signals and how to shutdown a server. My setup is:

apcupsd: version 3.14.10-2build1, from package
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
UPS: Tripp Lite SMART3000RM2U

In my apcupsd.conf I have:

UPSNAME tripplite-pa3
UPSCABLE ether
UPSTYPE snmp
DEVICE tripplite-pa3.domain.com:161:RFC:

Running apctest results in:

root@dell1850:/etc/apcupsd# apctest
2016-08-17 14:37:59 apctest 3.14.10 (13 September 2011) debian
Checking configuration ...
Attached to driver: snmplite
sharenet.type = Network & ShareUPS Disabled
cable.type = Ethernet Link
mode.type = SNMP UPS Driver
Setting up the port ...
SEQUENCE
  INTEGER
  OCTETSTRING
  SEQUENCE
    INTEGER
Testing not yet implemented for this UPSTYPE.

At this point I don't know if I am receiving Trap signals or not. The manufacturer is supposed to be compliant with RFC-1628, but also supplies their own MIB. Is there a tutorial on how to set up apcupsd with SNMP for devices like this? I didn't see a way to include the manufacturer's MIB in the configuration.

Thanks,
Brian H