Apcupsd-3.14.14 broke a 15" 2008 MBP with its Mac OS X v10.5.8/Mt. Lion?

Apcupsd-3.14.14 broke a 15" 2008 MBP with its Mac OS X v10.5.8/Mt. Lion?

Ant Dude
Hi!

Earlier, I downloaded and installed
https://sourceforge.net/projects/apcupsd/files/osx-binaries%20-%20Stable/3.14.14/'s
Apcupsd-3.14.14.dmg file into an old 15" MacBook Pro (2008) with its
updated Leopard v10.5.8 since
http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#id37 says apcupsd supports Mac
OS X v10.4.x and higher. However, I was unable to save auto-opened
apcupsd.conf that I was required to edit due to lack of admin access
even though I was using an admin account. So, I tried to edit
/etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf in Terminal's with su and sudo commands but
they said something about PAM. I said frak it and rebooted, but it won't
boot up anymore. Note I have NOT connected the APC UPS' cable yet.

I tried booting up this old MBP with these boot ups and without USB
devices (mouse and external hub):
1. normal boot -- never reaches the user account screen. It stays stuck
in Apple's loading screen.
2. shift -- got stuck at Apple's loading screen with no status bar.
3. command+v = saw the text mode with technical datas. Then, it loaded
the light blue screen and then back to text black screen with a white
block on the top left corner. Then back to light blue screen to the
black text screen with the top left white block in a loop forever.
4. command+s = got stuck at Apple's loading screen with no status bar.
No login screen.
5. command+r = got stuck at Apple's loading screen with no status bar.
OS X Utilities. I don't think Mac OS X v10.5.8 has this feature?

Did apcupsd did do something bad? Or a coincident? :( Thank you in
advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Applied mathematics will always need pure
mathematics, just as anteaters will always need ants." --Paul Halmos
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: [hidden email]/[hidden email]
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.

Re: Apcupsd-3.14.14 broke a 15" 2008 MBP with its Mac OS X v10.5.8/LEOPARD?

Ant Dude
Just an update:

I ran into a broken 15" MacBook Pro (2008) with its updated Mac OS X
v10.5.8/LEOPARD (not Mountain Lion -- was sick, up too late, and tired).
I tried booting up this old MBP with these boot ups' keys and without
connected USB devices (mouse and external hub):

1. normal boot -- never reaches the user account screen. It stays stuck
in Apple logo's loading screen with its spinning wait icon.

2. shift -- never reaches the user account screen. It stays stuck in
Apple logo's loading screen with its spinning wait icon.

3. command+v (verbose) = saw the text mode with technical datas. Then,
it loaded the light blue screen for about a second and then back to text
black screen with a white block on the top left corner. Then back to
light blue screen to the black text screen with the top left white block
in a loop forever.

4. command+s (single-user mode) = got to its text bash prompt, but not
sure what to do here to dig deeper and fix. Need experts' help if I need
to use it. At least, this is usable.

5. command+r (recovery) =  It stays stuck in Apple logo's loading screen
with its spinning wait icon. No OS X Utilities like in newer mac OSes. I
don't think Mac OS X v10.5.8 has this feature IIRC.

6. d (diagnostics) = Both tests passed. Aren't these just memory tests?

7. option-d (online diagnostics) = It stays stuck in Apple logo's
feature.

8. Option-Command-P-R (Reset NVRAM) = Heard a beep and saw bright screen
and heard loud volume as resets, but it did not fix the boot up issue.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:21:25PM -0800, Ant wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Earlier, I downloaded and installed
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/apcupsd/files/osx-binaries%20-%20Stable/3.14.14/'s
> Apcupsd-3.14.14.dmg file into an old 15" MacBook Pro (2008) with its
> updated Leopard v10.5.8 since
> http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#id37 says apcupsd supports Mac
> OS X v10.4.x and higher. However, I was unable to save auto-opened
> apcupsd.conf that I was required to edit due to lack of admin access
> even though I was using an admin account. So, I tried to edit
> /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf in Terminal's with su and sudo commands but
> they said something about PAM. I said frak it and rebooted, but it won't
> boot up anymore. Note I have NOT connected the APC UPS' cable yet.
[deleted the original post on what I did; see the above follow-up]
--
Quote of the Week: "Applied mathematics will always need pure
mathematics, just as anteaters will always need ants." --Paul Halmos
  /\___/\          Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: [hidden email]/[hidden email]
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.

Re: Apcupsd-3.14.14 broke a 15" 2008 MBP with its Mac OS X v10.5.8/LEOPARD?

Trevor Roydhouse
Ant wrote on 02/19/17 05:37:
> Just an update:
[...]
> 2. shift -- never reaches the user account screen. It stays stuck in
> Apple logo's loading screen with its spinning wait icon.
[...]

If safe boot doesn't work, then I don't think it is caused by anything
that the apcupsd installation did or didn't do. There've never been any
reports of such consequences before.

At this point I'd suggest a reinstall of macOS. Given the age of your
Mac, you should be able to use the original DVD and then upgrade to the
latest and greatest available for your Mac.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Apcupsd-3.14.14 broke a 15" 2008 MBP with its Mac OS X v10.5.8/LEOPARD?

Ant Dude
OK and thanks. I thought it was strange to see the symptoms right after
installing apcupsd installation, unable to edit its .conf
file, and rebooted last night.

People told me that I don't need apcupsd for it, but then I told them
Mac OS X is feature limited like unable to do self tests, get details,
logging, etc. :(

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:30:18AM +1100, Trevor Roydhouse wrote:

> Ant wrote on 02/19/17 05:37:
> > Just an update:
> [...]
> > 2. shift -- never reaches the user account screen. It stays stuck in
> > Apple logo's loading screen with its spinning wait icon.
> [...]
>
> If safe boot doesn't work, then I don't think it is caused by anything that
> the apcupsd installation did or didn't do. There've never been any reports
> of such consequences before.
>
> At this point I'd suggest a reinstall of macOS. Given the age of your Mac,
> you should be able to use the original DVD and then upgrade to the latest
> and greatest available for your Mac.

Re: Apcupsd-3.14.14 broke a 15" 2008 MBP with its Mac OS X v10.5.8/LEOPARD?

Ant Dude
Hi again.

I was able to access the old HDD again from an external USB HDD with a
newly installed Mac OS X v10.5.8 from the original DVDs (didn't have any
other bootable OS X installers at that time). How do I uninstall apcupsd
from there?

Thank you in advnace. :)

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 02:27:14PM -0800, Ant Dude wrote:

> OK and thanks. I thought it was strange to see the symptoms right after
> installing apcupsd installation, unable to edit its .conf
> file, and rebooted last night.
>
> People told me that I don't need apcupsd for it, but then I told them
> Mac OS X is feature limited like unable to do self tests, get details,
> logging, etc. :(
>

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:30:18AM +1100, Trevor Roydhouse wrote:
> > Ant wrote on 02/19/17 05:37:
> > > Just an update:
> > [...]
> > > 2. shift -- never reaches the user account screen. It stays stuck in
> > > Apple logo's loading screen with its spinning wait icon.
> > [...]
> >
> > If safe boot doesn't work, then I don't think it is caused by anything that
> > the apcupsd installation did or didn't do. There've never been any reports
> > of such consequences before.
> >
> > At this point I'd suggest a reinstall of macOS. Given the age of your Mac,
> > you should be able to use the original DVD and then upgrade to the latest
> > and greatest available for your Mac.

Re: Apcupsd-3.14.14 broke a 15" 2008 MBP with its Mac OS X v10.5.8/LEOPARD?

Ant Dude
Based on Google searches, I don't even see /sbin/apcupsd-uninstall in
that old HDD. I also tried
http://apcupsd-ups-control-software.10985.n7.nabble.com/Apcupsd-uninstall-in-Mac-OSX-td6720.html
to manually remove system's apcupsd stuff. I only saw
/System/Library/Extensions/ApcupsdDummy.kext which I deleted. I wonder
if my apcupsd's install failed a couple days ago. :( I also used Finder
to find and delete any apc* filenames. I only one in /Applications.

Anyways, I did find /Volumes/Macintosh
HD/usr/local/sbin/apcupsd-uninstall instead of /sbin. I viewed its
script file and saw a bunch of stuff that it would delete automatically,
so I did those manually. However, "touch /System/Library/Extensions"
might be an issue since I did in the new Mac OS X v10.5.8 installation
remotely. I even deleted its caches' file to be sure.

None of them fixed the issue. So, it sounds like this failure didn't
caused by apcuspd?

Ant Dude wrote on 02/20/17 10:22:

> None of them fixed the issue. So, it sounds like this failure didn't
> caused by apcuspd?

As I said before:

1) it is not likely to be apcupsd which is preventing your system from
booting. When using safe boot, the apcupsd kext is not loaded or even
attempted to be loaded.

2) I suggest you reinstall macOS as something significant in your system
is broken.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:41:01PM +1100, Trevor Roydhouse wrote:

> Ant Dude wrote on 02/20/17 10:22:
>
> > None of them fixed the issue. So, it sounds like this failure didn't
> > caused by apcuspd?
>
> As I said before:
>
> 1) it is not likely to be apcupsd which is preventing your system from
> booting. When using safe boot, the apcupsd kext is not loaded or even
> attempted to be loaded.
>
> 2) I suggest you reinstall macOS as something significant in your system is
> broken.

OK and thanks.