BR1500G/BR24BPG and change battery message

BR1500G/BR24BPG and change battery message

Shaun Dennie
Hello,

I have a system using an APC BR1500G and the external BR24BPG secondary
battery.  I've recently started to get apcupsd e-mails that say the
battery has failed and I need to change it but, it's not clear to me
which battery has failed.  The UPS still works correctly (though, with
greatly diminished uptime) so, it's not the case that both batteries
have failed.  Do the apcupsd tools (3.14.10) know which battery has failed?

Thanks,

     Shaun

Re: BR1500G/BR24BPG and change battery message

Adam Kropelin-3
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Shaun Dennie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have a system using an APC BR1500G and the external BR24BPG secondary
battery.  I've recently started to get apcupsd e-mails that say the
battery has failed and I need to change it but, it's not clear to me
which battery has failed.  The UPS still works correctly (though, with
greatly diminished uptime) so, it's not the case that both batteries
have failed.  Do the apcupsd tools (3.14.10) know which battery has failed?

The external battery pack in that unit (and in most, if not all APC UPSes) is simply connected in parallel with the internal battery. So the UPS itself and Apcupsd both have no idea which battery has failed. If the external battery is roughly the same age as the UPS, it is safe to assume both internal and external batteries are bad.

--Adam

On 06/06/2016 12:31 PM, Adam Kropelin wrote:
> The external battery pack in that unit (and in most, if not all APC
> UPSes) is simply connected in parallel with the internal battery. So the
> UPS itself and Apcupsd both have no idea which battery has failed. If
> the external battery is roughly the same age as the UPS, it is safe to
> assume both internal and external batteries are bad.
>
> --Adam

That clears it up, thank you.

     Shaun

Re: BR1500G/BR24BPG and change battery message

David Ranch

Hello Shaun,

Once a battery has failed, consider yourself as put on notice that things could go south quite quickly.  Here is a quick story what happened to me some time ago:

   http://www.trinityos.com/LINUX/TrinityOS/cHTML/TrinityOS-c-36.html#ss36.6

Anyway.. UPS batteries don't last forever.  Don't try to fix it where you have one NEW battery connected to several other OLD batteries.  This is a bad thing to do.  You can quite easily replace the batteries yourself from a local battery retailer and save a LOT of money vs. buy very expensive battery packs from APC.   An example 3rd party battery seller is www.batteryspec.com . There are many others out there too.

Now, once you have new batteries in your UPS but you'd like to use the old batteries for other projects, it's pretty easy to test the batteries.  Testing one battery at a time, measure the voltage across the terminals when there isn't any load.  Now, connect a pretty serious load on the battery (5A+) via something that uses 13.8v DC power.  The batteries that are good will keep up the voltage pretty well though they will drop a little.  The bad battery's voltage will drop drastically.

Ps.  Don't forget to keep your remaining "good" batteries charged.  Older batteries will loose their charge faster than new ones.  Once heavily discharged, they will never really work well again (as they were old to start with).  Trickle chargers are cheap and you probably only need to use them on each battery for a few hours every three to four weeks (depends on the health and internal discharge of the battery).

--David

On 06/06/2016 04:32 PM, David Ranch wrote:

> Hello Shaun,
>
> Once a battery has failed, consider yourself as put on notice that
> things could go south quite quickly.

Hi David,

Agreed.  I have two sets of the BR1500G/BR24BPG sitting on the floor of
my rack (the 4 units are exactly the width of a standard rack) and
apcaccess says they all have similar battery dates.  So, I decided to
preemptively replace all 4 batteries.

Thanks to everyone involved in creating apcupsd.  It's a great piece of
software.

     Shaun