BX1400UI works?

Hofsoft - Serwis
Hello,
Does apcupsd work with APC UPS BX1400UI?

Regards
Tomasz Bańkowski

Re: BX1400UI works?

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
Likely only very basic parameters.

Just a reminder - all BackUPS models that had serial ports ARE DUMB and
DO NOT provide any usable parameters other than on/off battery.  The
issue is BackUPSes that have USB ports, like this BX1400UI.

That UPS ships with PowerChute and it has a USB port on it, so it does
have the capability of communicating management info.  The problem is
that while many of these older BackUPSs did speak a Upslink protocol
out the USB port it appears that newer ones are speaking a microlink
variant.   So when you plug these into apcupsd you end up getting only
the parameters that are the defacto industry standard ones with the
UPS-HID USB standard.   Which are not very many.

The entire situation with apcupsd and various BackUPS UPSes from
APC is a dice throw.  Some work some don't.  I have a numer of customers
who toss smaller APC BackUPSes when their batteries die and
if they have USB ports I always take those with me, then later test them
with a good battery - if they work with apcupsd I keep them if they
don't I give them to Goodwill.   It is rare to find one that works.

Ted

On 4/12/2017 6:54 AM, Hofsoft - Serwis wrote:

> Hello,
> Does apcupsd work with APC UPS BX1400UI?
>
> Regards
> Tomasz Bańkowski

Re: BX1400UI works?

Pavel Boček

I'd expect the issue not being with the communication more than with the UPS electronics itself. You can not expect these cheap units to measure and calculate battery and power draw parameters at all, and if so, than it's more like some guesstimate rather than any measurement. I mean, if the UPS itself has no idea about the values, you won't get anything over the communication than.

For the UPS to work properly you only need couple analog components (to cut-off power when discharged and to shut down when overloaded, and even than many units often explode before they react to overload condition, Back-UPS RS comes to mind). Transfering that to digital signal and calculating something based on that is totaly different level. With the market these plastic El Cheapos are for, it's insane to expect something like that.

For the subject, I do not have personal experience with these new series yet. All I know is there are virtually the same units, some come with serial/USB port, some have nothing at all. But the price difference is minimal, I'd already expect the communication to be only some basic (dumb) one looking into a store.

--
S uctivým pozdravem/best regards,

Pavel Boček
Jabber: [hidden email]