Charging current for SUA1000UXI, 42AH battery

Charging current for SUA1000UXI, 42AH battery

Rajil Saraswat-2

Hello

I had two batteries die on me within a span of six months. The battery manufacturer (Exide) is claiming that the UPS is faulty and it does not provide enough current to charge the battery.
Is it alright to use 42AH battery with this UPS?

Thanks

Re: Charging current for SUA1000UXI, 42AH battery

Mark Claussen
The specifications show a RBC6 replacement battery system which is two 12 AH, 12 volt batteries.  If you are using two 42AH batteries to provide the needed 24 volts (nominal) for the unit, it is possible that upon depletion (after an actual emergency usage) that the charging circuit would not be able to recharge a battery system that is over 3 times the design.  You could use a small auxilliary charger (hooked in parallel) to help recharge.  I'd believe that once recharged, the SUA unit would continue to "float" charge until the next outage.

Your batteries should read about 27 volts normally (float).  Anything less and your charging circuit is likely undersized.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Rajil Saraswat <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello

I had two batteries die on me within a span of six months. The battery manufacturer (Exide) is claiming that the UPS is faulty and it does not provide enough current to charge the battery.
Is it alright to use 42AH battery with this UPS?

Thanks

Re: Charging current for SUA1000UXI, 42AH battery

When you first replace the batteries give them a day to fully
charge, then look at the battery voltage in the stats (which
should be at float value then) then do a calibration test on them - this
will drain them down to nothing - then let them recharge another
day and look at the battery float voltage again.

If after a day of charging the batteries have recovered to full
voltage then the charger is fine.

You can recharge batteries with a higher current for a shorter time
or a lower current for a longer time but the lower current for longer
makes for better battery life.

One trick I saw done years ago on the Nook Color made use of this
fact.  The Nook came with it's 2amp charger that used a special plug.
But it would also charge from standard USB - at a max of 500ma.

Of course many people lost their chargers and just used a standard
USB port to charge - of course this would mean the tablet would take
all night to charge instead of coming to full charge in a couple
hours.  BUT - those tablet batteries lasted forever when they were
charged like that.

In your case you need to look at the battery manufacture date code
that is melted into the plastic.  Exide will have a table that explains
date-to-code.  Do NOT trust any date code that your retailer adds
using a sticker after the sale.

If the batteries sit on the shelf more than 3 months from date of
manufacture to date of sale - then they will be permanently damaged.
These batteries self-discharge around 10% a month.

I would bet your problem in this case is your battery retailer is buying
these batteries at ultra-cheap prices by the semi-truck load, then they
are sitting around the warehouse for a year before being sold.

Battery manufacturers are well aware of this problem but only one of
them - Interstate Batteries - admits it exists, and requires their
battery retailers to recharge batteries in storage once a month.
Unfortunately they only sell car batteries.

You should also try other brands of batteries.  Sometimes they just
don't play well in certain UPSes.

Ted