El Capitan, again

John Caradimas
Folks,

I’ve been using a APC UPS connected to my Centos 6 server, for years, and of course apcupsd to monitor it. Lately I noticed that the load is quite high, which is normal with a MacPro connected to the UPS (900 VA). So I decided to invest in a second UPS, to cover only the MacPro. It wasn’t until I checked for apcupsd that I noticed that there are issues with El Capitan. I googled but I wasn’t able to find a concrete answer on what has to be done to use apcupsd on El Capitan.

Has anyone managed to install apcupsd on El Capitan? If so how?

Many thanks for your time.

-------------------
John Caradimas

Re: El Capitan, again

Trevor Roydhouse

On May 2, 2016 7:04 PM, "Adam Kropelin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

 > I've identified two issues that need to be tracked down before it is
 > worth making a release [for El Capitan]:

Status update:

 > 1. Occasional failure to connect to the UPS over USB when UPS is
 > attached at boot. This happens maybe 25% of the time and is resolved
 > by disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable after the system has
 > booted.

This is happening on cold boots only. For some reason on a cold boot, OS
X does not obey our kext and attaches its own UPS monitor instead,
causing apcupsd to fail to attach to the UPS. Warm boots are working
fine. The kext is digitally signed and passes "kextutil -t" tests. I
need to get kextd logging enabled to hopefully understand what is going on.

 > 2. Repeatable crash shortly after power returns after an outage.

This was due to bugs and missing capabilities in the Darwin port of
libusb-0.1.12. I have fixed the issues in libusb and am no longer seeing
any crashes.

--Adam

Re: El Capitan, again

John Caradimas
Adam,

Do you have any plans about when you will be able to check these issues and possibly come up with a version supporting El Capitan? After living with apcupsd for several years, I find it hard to live with the limited options of Mac OS Energy Saver.

One more question: Is the current apcupsd version working OK, if the UPS is connected to another machine (running Centos) and there is an ethernet connection between the two?

Many thanks!

-------------------
John Caradimas

On 29 May 2016, at 00:46, Trevor Roydhouse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I just upgraded the apcupsd to the latest version (manually copying files) and for some reason, when I run apcaccess, it causes a segmentation fault.

I am trying to access a remote UPS connected to my Centos server. apcagent can connect fine and shows the status and the events of that UPS.

-------------------
[...]

Further to this discussion, I want to report that the latest version of apcupsd works fine, if the UPS is NOT connected on the machine running El Capitan, but on another computer to which the Mac is connected via Ethernet.

I just finished installing my second UPS, which is providing power to my Mac, on my Centos computer (it was a little messy connecting two UPSs on the same Centos server, but I eventually did it). apcupsd on the Mac gets connected to the Centos apcupsd and does a shutdown when it should.

Feeling accomplished!!! :-)

-------------------
[...]

mike primus
Interesting...  I am not able to install apcupsd on my Mac running El Capitan. This will be a network slaved Mac (ups is connected to another server on the network).

I know that a new version is in the works though....

Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2016, at 4:13 AM, John Caradimas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I am sure you will not manage to do it. I had to use some tricks, in order to install the software. For example, I booted from a second disk (backup of my main system disk), and I manually copied the contents of the installation package to their proper locations on the main system disk. Then, after everything was in place, with the correct permissions etc, I booted up from the main system disk. In that way, the protection of El Capitan (for the main system disk) was not refusing the installation of the files, in the various, normally protected, directories.

Everything works fine now, with the Mac doing an orderly shutdown, when power is removed from the UPS, it reports breaking in communications, when I remove the USB cable, etc. Even apcagent works fine and I can use it to monitor both UPSs connected to my server.

There is still one issue, when I run apcaccess on the Mac, I get a “Segmentation fault: 11”, for some reason, but there is nothing I can do about it.

If someone is interested on how I managed to get apcupsd running on El Capitan, please let me know, I’ll be happy to come up with a write-up!

Oh, and mind you, the Mac I am using and which runs El Capitan, is a 2006 MacPro 1,1, which has been upgraded to MacPro 2,1. Normally, neither one of these models can run El Capitan!!!! LoRL

John Caradimas