First Time User Question(s)

Dick Rose
I have just installed APCUPSD version: 3.14.13. Using a USB connection
to an APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD.
I am running Windows 8.1-64 bit.

I have been using PowerChute for several years-on Windows XP and 7 with
no problems.
I had uninstalled PowerChute before installing APCUPSD.

I pulled the mains plug and got the popup that I was on battery,
PC was running normally on battery.
Plugged back in and got popup that I'm now on mains.

Now for the main question.
I would like to try the full shutdown test.
I am not sure how to edit the "apccontrol.bat" and apcupsd.conf" files
to accomplish this.
I have the full user manual but having problems with understanding the
edits to make.
I would like to be able to run the test without waiting for the battery
to become depleted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: First Time User Question(s)

Vanquestor
You can edit the TIMEOUT setting in apcupsd.conf to be anything (in
seconds) except 0 (which disables it).

The TIMEOUT (maximum run time on batteries), BATTERYLEVEL (minimum
acceptable remaining charge) & MINUTES (minimum acceptable remaining
charge in minutes) settings in that file
all run in parallel so whichever is breached first initiates a shutdown.

So by setting TIMEOUT to 30 you'll only have wait 30 seconds for a
shutdown once you cut the mains power.

Hope that helps

On 18/04/16 03:01, Dick Rose wrote:

> I have just installed APCUPSD version: 3.14.13. Using a USB connection
> to an APC Back-UPS XS 1300 LCD.
> I am running Windows 8.1-64 bit.
>
> I have been using PowerChute for several years-on Windows XP and 7 with
> no problems.
> I had uninstalled PowerChute before installing APCUPSD.
>
> I pulled the mains plug and got the popup that I was on battery,
> PC was running normally on battery.
> Plugged back in and got popup that I'm now on mains.
>
> Now for the main question.
> I would like to try the full shutdown test.
> I am not sure how to edit the "apccontrol.bat" and apcupsd.conf" files
> to accomplish this.
> I have the full user manual but having problems with understanding the
> edits to make.
> I would like to be able to run the test without waiting for the battery
> to become depleted.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: First Time User Question(s)

You don't have to edit anything the Windows install out of the box
sets the system up to shutdown when power is lost.  Just edit the
timeout battery level and minutes in the file as Vanquestor said
and don't worry about the other instructions you find that apply to
the Linux version.

Ted