Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Frederico Almeida

Good afternoon everyone!

I have been a very happy user of apcupsd for some time now.

Been able to setup a raspberry to work with our company main ups management card and create a sequence of scripts to shutdown ibm flex systems, vmware vms, as400 virtual machines, storage devices, etc. All works fine and no problem whatsoever.

But now I was searching for a way to also initiate a sutdown based on the temperature of the external sensor of the ups.

My device has external temp and humidity sensor but I cant seem to find a way to read it from the deamon. I have seen others that when run the same status check they get the AMBTEMP value returned. Am I missing something or why I don’t get the same feedback?

Can someone please give me a help?

APC      : 001,044,1068

DATE     : 2016-10-05 09:35:20 +0200

HOSTNAME : LU21RSB01

VERSION  : 3.14.13 (02 February 2015) debian

UPSNAME  : LU21UPS01

CABLE    : Ethernet Link

DRIVER   : PCNET UPS Driver

UPSMODE  : Stand Alone

STARTTIME: 2016-10-05 09:23:11 +0200

MODEL    : Smart-UPS SRT8000

STATUS   : ONLINE

LOADPCT  : 16.3 Percent

BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent

TIMELEFT : 109.0 Minutes

MBATTCHG : 5 Percent

MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes

MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds

OUTPUTV  : 230.2 Volts

DWAKE    : 10 Seconds

DSHUTD   : 20 Seconds

DLOWBATT : 2 Minutes

LOTRANS  : 160.0 Volts

HITRANS  : 265.0 Volts

ITEMP    : 23.0 C

ALARMDEL : Always

BATTV    : 218.6 Volts

LINEFREQ : 50.0 Hz

LASTXFER : Line voltage notch or spike

NUMXFERS : 2

XONBATT  : 2016-10-06 14:03:45 +0200

TONBATT  : 0 Seconds

CUMONBATT: 10 Seconds

XOFFBATT : 2016-10-06 14:03:50 +0200

SELFTEST : OK

STESTI   : 336

STATFLAG : 0x05000008

REG1     : 0x00

REG2     : 0x00

REG3     : 0x00

MANDATE  : 04/16/2014

SERIALNO : QQ1416170295

BATTDATE : 04/16/2014

NOMOUTV  : 230 Volts

FIRMWARE : UPS 04.4 (ID1014)

END APC  : 2016-10-07 17:33:42 +0200

Thank you for your time and help.

My best

Fred

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
is AMBTEMP in the output of apcaccess that is run on the localhost (the
raspberry itself)

Ted

On 10/7/2016 8:57 AM, Frederico Almeida wrote:

> Good afternoon everyone!
>
> I have been a very happy user of apcupsd for some time now.
>
> Been able to setup a raspberry to work with our company main ups
> management card and create a sequence of scripts to shutdown ibm flex
> systems, vmware vms, as400 virtual machines, storage devices, etc. All
> works fine and no problem whatsoever.
>
> But now I was searching for a way to also initiate a sutdown based on
> the temperature of the external sensor of the ups.
>
> My device has external temp and humidity sensor but I cant seem to find
> a way to read it from the deamon. I have seen others that when run the
> same status check they get the AMBTEMP value returned. Am I missing
> something or why I don’t get the same feedback?
>
> Can someone please give me a help?
>
> APC      : 001,044,1068
>
> DATE     : 2016-10-05 09:35:20 +0200
>
> HOSTNAME : LU21RSB01
>
> VERSION  : 3.14.13 (02 February 2015) debian
>
> UPSNAME  : LU21UPS01
>
> CABLE    : Ethernet Link
>
> DRIVER   : PCNET UPS Driver
>
> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>
> STARTTIME: 2016-10-05 09:23:11 +0200
>
> MODEL    : Smart-UPS SRT8000
>
> STATUS   : ONLINE
>
> LOADPCT  : 16.3 Percent
>
> BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
>
> TIMELEFT : 109.0 Minutes
>
> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
>
> MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
>
> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>
> OUTPUTV  : 230.2 Volts
>
> DWAKE    : 10 Seconds
>
> DSHUTD   : 20 Seconds
>
> DLOWBATT : 2 Minutes
>
> LOTRANS  : 160.0 Volts
>
> HITRANS  : 265.0 Volts
>
> ITEMP    : 23.0 C
>
> ALARMDEL : Always
>
> BATTV    : 218.6 Volts
>
> LINEFREQ : 50.0 Hz
>
> LASTXFER : Line voltage notch or spike
>
> NUMXFERS : 2
>
> XONBATT  : 2016-10-06 14:03:45 +0200
>
> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
>
> CUMONBATT: 10 Seconds
>
> XOFFBATT : 2016-10-06 14:03:50 +0200
>
> SELFTEST : OK
>
> STESTI   : 336
>
> STATFLAG : 0x05000008
>
> REG1     : 0x00
>
> REG2     : 0x00
>
> REG3     : 0x00
>
> MANDATE  : 04/16/2014
>
> SERIALNO : QQ1416170295
>
> BATTDATE : 04/16/2014
>
> NOMOUTV  : 230 Volts
>
> FIRMWARE : UPS 04.4 (ID1014)
>
> END APC  : 2016-10-07 17:33:42 +0200
>
> Thank you for your time and help.
>
> My best
>
> Fred

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Frederico Almeida
Good evening.

In my post i pasted the return of the status in the rapsbery.
That is what bugs me is not having the external temp var there.
Maybe this is dependant on the management card, firmware version or
something like that?

Thanks for your reply!
Fred

> is AMBTEMP in the output of apcaccess that is run on the localhost (the
> raspberry itself)
>
> Ted
>
> On 10/7/2016 8:57 AM, Frederico Almeida wrote:
>> Good afternoon everyone!
>>
>> I have been a very happy user of apcupsd for some time now.
>>
>> Been able to setup a raspberry to work with our company main ups
>> management card and create a sequence of scripts to shutdown ibm flex
>> systems, vmware vms, as400 virtual machines, storage devices, etc. All
>> works fine and no problem whatsoever.
>>
>> But now I was searching for a way to also initiate a sutdown based on
>> the temperature of the external sensor of the ups.
>>
>> My device has external temp and humidity sensor but I cant seem to find
>> a way to read it from the deamon. I have seen others that when run the
>> same status check they get the AMBTEMP value returned. Am I missing
>> something or why I don’t get the same feedback?
>>
>> Can someone please give me a help?
>>
>> APC      : 001,044,1068
>>
>> DATE     : 2016-10-05 09:35:20 +0200
>>
>> HOSTNAME : LU21RSB01
>>
>> VERSION  : 3.14.13 (02 February 2015) debian
>>
>> UPSNAME  : LU21UPS01
>>
>> CABLE    : Ethernet Link
>>
>> DRIVER   : PCNET UPS Driver
>>
>> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>>
>> STARTTIME: 2016-10-05 09:23:11 +0200
>>
>> MODEL    : Smart-UPS SRT8000
>>
>> STATUS   : ONLINE
>>
>> LOADPCT  : 16.3 Percent
>>
>> BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
>>
>> TIMELEFT : 109.0 Minutes
>>
>> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
>>
>> MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
>>
>> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>>
>> OUTPUTV  : 230.2 Volts
>>
>> DWAKE    : 10 Seconds
>>
>> DSHUTD   : 20 Seconds
>>
>> DLOWBATT : 2 Minutes
>>
>> LOTRANS  : 160.0 Volts
>>
>> HITRANS  : 265.0 Volts
>>
>> ITEMP    : 23.0 C
>>
>> ALARMDEL : Always
>>
>> BATTV    : 218.6 Volts
>>
>> LINEFREQ : 50.0 Hz
>>
>> LASTXFER : Line voltage notch or spike
>>
>> NUMXFERS : 2
>>
>> XONBATT  : 2016-10-06 14:03:45 +0200
>>
>> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
>>
>> CUMONBATT: 10 Seconds
>>
>> XOFFBATT : 2016-10-06 14:03:50 +0200
>>
>> SELFTEST : OK
>>
>> STESTI   : 336
>>
>> STATFLAG : 0x05000008
>>
>> REG1     : 0x00
>>
>> REG2     : 0x00
>>
>> REG3     : 0x00
>>
>> MANDATE  : 04/16/2014
>>
>> SERIALNO : QQ1416170295
>>
>> BATTDATE : 04/16/2014
>>
>> NOMOUTV  : 230 Volts
>>
>> FIRMWARE : UPS 04.4 (ID1014)
>>
>> END APC  : 2016-10-07 17:33:42 +0200
>>
>> Thank you for your time and help.
>>
>> My best
>>
>> Fred

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Adam Kropelin-2

It may be that apcupsd simply doesn't have the translation for ambtemp from the pcnet protocol. If you grab an apcupsd.trace from a run with the '-d1000 -T' switches, I may be able to spot the right datum to add. Knowing the actual ambtemp (or a ballpark) at that time would also be useful in finding the right translation.

--Adam

On Oct 9, 2016 3:19 PM, "Frederico Almeida" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> I have been a very happy user of apcupsd for some time now.
>>
>> Been able to setup a raspberry to work with our company main ups
>> management card and create a sequence of scripts to shutdown ibm flex
>> systems, vmware vms, as400 virtual machines, storage devices, etc. All
>> works fine and no problem whatsoever.
>>
>> But now I was searching for a way to also initiate a sutdown based on
>> the temperature of the external sensor of the ups.
>>
>> My device has external temp and humidity sensor but I cant seem to find
>> a way to read it from the deamon. I have seen others that when run the
>> same status check they get the AMBTEMP value returned. Am I missing
>> something or why I don’t get the same feedback?
>>
>> Can someone please give me a help?
>>
>> APC      : 001,044,1068
>>
>> DATE     : 2016-10-05 09:35:20 +0200
>>
>> HOSTNAME : LU21RSB01
>>
>> VERSION  : 3.14.13 (02 February 2015) debian

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Ted Mittelstaedt-5

This is what I think the problem is.

I happen to have a SmartUPS with a temperature sensor card in it, this
is the card that you plug in the external temperature/humidity
probe.

On the old beige smartups the only card apc produced that had the
PS/2 port on it for their temp/humidity probe that would work in
that UPS was one that had no ethernet port.  So to use the temp
sensor on the UPS you had to connect via serial

APC later came out with AP9619 card that worked in the black smartups
that did have an ethernet port and the PS2 temp sensor port.

But, he has a modern SRT 8000 that is a modbus machine.  I think
that UPS is too new for a SP9619 (and also that would put 2 ethernet
ports on the UPS)   The SRT does not have a PS2 temp sensor port
so he has to be using some sort of card to connect the temp
sensor.

He needs to check with APC tech support and make sure that whatever
card he's using in his UPS for the temp sensor is actually supported
in his UP because it simply may not be.  I doubt he can get away with
sticking an older card in a new UPS.

Also once he has confirmation he has the correct card he needs to
access the webserver interface on the UPS and determine if it is
indeed showing the sensor output.

Ted

On 10/9/2016 1:06 PM, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> [...]
>      >> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>      >>
>      >> OUTPUTV  : 230.2 Volts
>      >>
>      >> DWAKE    : 10 Seconds
>      >>
>      >> DSHUTD   : 20 Seconds
>      >>
>      >> DLOWBATT : 2 Minutes
>      >>
>      >> LOTRANS  : 160.0 Volts
>      >>
>      >> HITRANS  : 265.0 Volts
>      >>
>      >> ITEMP    : 23.0 C
>      >>
>      >> ALARMDEL : Always
>      >>
>      >> BATTV    : 218.6 Volts
>      >>
>      >> LINEFREQ : 50.0 Hz
>      >>
>      >> LASTXFER : Line voltage notch or spike

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Frederico Almeida
Hello good afternoon!

Thank you for your kind replies.
I have checked and my ups uses AP9630 management card.
On the web server I have the ambtemp reading and as it seems this sensor
uses one of the universal i/o ports the mng card has (using port 1).
So now I am facing a dilemma: either you can come up with something on this
using the deamon or I will have to create scripts that can ge me this info,
maybe based on snmp info as with it I can access the temperature
information.

Will wait for a reply! :)

Best regards
Fred

> [...]

>      >>
>      >> MANDATE  : 04/16/2014
>      >>
>      >> SERIALNO : QQ1416170295
>      >>
>      >> BATTDATE : 04/16/2014
>      >>
>      >> NOMOUTV  : 230 Volts
>      >>
>      >> FIRMWARE : UPS 04.4 (ID1014)
>      >>
>      >> END APC  : 2016-10-07 17:33:42 +0200
>      >>
>      >> Thank you for your time and help.
>      >>
>      >> My best
>      >>
>      >> Fred
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>

>      >> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
The AP9630 management card has an ethernet port only on it.   You must
have a different management card if yours has an ethernet port plus
management ports on it.

In any case, this setup is quite different than the original management
cards that had temperature probe support.  APC must have changed the
data around for this newer series of UPSes.

As Adam said, you need to run apcupsd with '-d1000 -T' and email him
the output.  Do it after accessing the UPS with a web browser and seeing
what the temperature actually is and include that as well.

Ted

On 10/10/2016 7:06 AM, Frederico Almeida wrote:

> Hello good afternoon!
>
> Thank you for your kind replies.
> I have checked and my ups uses AP9630 management card.
> On the web server I have the ambtemp reading and as it seems this sensor
> uses one of the universal i/o ports the mng card has (using port 1).
> So now I am facing a dilemma: either you can come up with something on this
> using the deamon or I will have to create scripts that can ge me this info,
> maybe based on snmp info as with it I can access the temperature
> information.
>
> Will wait for a reply! :)
>
> Best regards
> Fred

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Mark Claussen
To clarify, the SRT line of APC Smart UPSs have a built in, equivalent to, AP9630 gen II NMC .  They have both the RJ45 ethernet and the "plug" type "console" connection built into the back panel.   I believe the "console" is for direct access to the UPS firmware - similar to the older model SUA,SU, etc. db9 functions.  There is a traditional "Smart Slot" on the back that typically is used for a NMC, but in the case of SRT's can be used for "other management" functions - whatever they might be!

Hope this helps

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 11:38 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <[hidden email]> wrote:
The AP9630 management card has an ethernet port only on it.   You must
have a different management card if yours has an ethernet port plus
management ports on it.

In any case, this setup is quite different than the original management
cards that had temperature probe support.  APC must have changed the
data around for this newer series of UPSes.

As Adam said, you need to run apcupsd with '-d1000 -T' and email him
the output.  Do it after accessing the UPS with a web browser and seeing
what the temperature actually is and include that as well.

Ted

On 10/10/2016 7:06 AM, Frederico Almeida wrote:
> Hello good afternoon!
>
> Thank you for your kind replies.
> I have checked and my ups uses AP9630 management card.
> On the web server I have the ambtemp reading and as it seems this sensor
> uses one of the universal i/o ports the mng card has (using port 1).
> So now I am facing a dilemma: either you can come up with something on this
> using the deamon or I will have to create scripts that can ge me this info,
> maybe based on snmp info as with it I can access the temperature
> information.
>
> Will wait for a reply! :)
>
> Best regards
> Fred

Re: Help on apcupsd ambtemp

Frederico Almeida
Hello!

I am sorry for a late reply but a huge number of SUNs migrations
falled on my lap and my life has been crazy the last week.
Now finally i have time to look into this! :)

I have tested stopping the service and start in cli with the posted
flags ( /sbin/apcupsd -d1000 -T ) and i could not find any output nor
nothing in lg files.
For sure i am doing something wrong.... please let me know my fail!

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

My best
Frederico Almeida