Help with SURTD3000RMXLI

Alan Spark
Hi,

We have a SURTD3000RMXLI and would like to monitor its status by way
of daily emails or alerts when something goes wrong with the battery.

I have looked at the PowerChute software and although it can talk to
the UPS and report status information, it really is too heavyweight
for our needs and is not compatible with our target Ubuntu server.

We've tried apsupcd on one of our USB UPS devices and it works
perfectly but on this serial based one things are proving more
difficult. We are using the 940-1525A cable.

These are the configuration settings that I am using (currently on
Windows via a USB to serial cable but I have also tried on Ubuntu
using a direct serial connection and get the same results):

UPSCABLE 940-0625A
UPSTYPE apcsmart
DEVICE COM4
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable

I get the error "PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port."
with these settings.

Does anyone have any experience using our particular UPS with apsupcd
or have any idea why it doesn't work? Am I using the wrong protocol?

Regards,
Alan

Re: Help with SURTD3000RMXLI

Adam Kropelin-3
The RT models can be problematic for apcupsd as they typically do not support the UPS-Link/apcsmart protocol. You have a couple options:

1. If the UPS has a USB port, you should be able to get basic monitoring from that. Use "UPSTYPE usb" and "UPSCABLE usb", just like a "normal" USB based UPS. This will get you runtime remaining and on-battery status but not much else.

2. If your UPS does not have a USB port or if you desire more complete monitoring output, you may be able to use the modbus protocol. This often requires a firmware upgrade on the UPS in order to enable support for it. If the UPS is fairly new, the firmware might support modbus already. Grovel through the menus and see if you can find an option to enable modbus. Apcupsd can be configured to use modbus over RS232 or USB using "UPSTYPE modbus" and "UPSCABLE usb" or "UPSCABLE smart".

--Adam

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Alan Spark <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately we do not have a USB port on this model, only RJ45
(Serial Com). The unit is almost 5 years old so I think it is unlikely
that it has modbus support, but I did try and I got a COMMLOST status
and timeouts when running apctest. The fact that we no longer get the
"PANIC" message was slightly encouraging but I'm not sure we can read
much into that. I think it's likely that modbus just isn't supported
on our unit.

It sounds like a firmware upgrade may be the only option but as this
unit has been running reliably for 5 years we are a bit nervous about
changing the firmware, especially when it is our primary unit.

I think in the short term we may have to settle for PowerChute on this unit.

Alan

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Adam Kropelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The RT models can be problematic for apcupsd as they typically do not
> support the UPS-Link/apcsmart protocol. You have a couple options:
>
> 1. If the UPS has a USB port, you should be able to get basic monitoring
> from that. Use "UPSTYPE usb" and "UPSCABLE usb", just like a "normal" USB
> based UPS. This will get you runtime remaining and on-battery status but not
> much else.
>
> 2. If your UPS does not have a USB port or if you desire more complete
> monitoring output, you may be able to use the modbus protocol. This often
> requires a firmware upgrade on the UPS in order to enable support for it. If
> the UPS is fairly new, the firmware might support modbus already. Grovel
> through the menus and see if you can find an option to enable modbus.
> Apcupsd can be configured to use modbus over RS232 or USB using "UPSTYPE
> modbus" and "UPSCABLE usb" or "UPSCABLE smart".
>
> --Adam
>

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Alan Spark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a SURTD3000RMXLI and would like to monitor its status by way
>> of daily emails or alerts when something goes wrong with the battery.
>>
>> I have looked at the PowerChute software and although it can talk to
>> the UPS and report status information, it really is too heavyweight
>> for our needs and is not compatible with our target Ubuntu server.
>>
>> We've tried apsupcd on one of our USB UPS devices and it works
>> perfectly but on this serial based one things are proving more
>> difficult. We are using the 940-1525A cable.
>>
>> These are the configuration settings that I am using (currently on
>> Windows via a USB to serial cable but I have also tried on Ubuntu
>> using a direct serial connection and get the same results):
>>
>> UPSCABLE 940-0625A
>> UPSTYPE apcsmart
>> DEVICE COM4
>> UPSCLASS standalone
>> UPSMODE disable
>>
>> I get the error "PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port."
>> with these settings.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience using our particular UPS with apsupcd
>> or have any idea why it doesn't work? Am I using the wrong protocol?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alan

Re: Help with SURTD3000RMXLI

Mark Claussen
I recall from working with this unit (likely a SURTD30000XLT) that it uses the db9 connector to serial communicate directly with APC "Smart Protocol" and also the UPS serial configuration program.  I also recall that by adding the  AP9616/17 (or AP9630/31) NMC, email alerts are possible directly via wireless or RJ45 hardwired.  Not an apcupsd user, so apologize if this is not your issue.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Alan Spark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> for our needs and is not compatible with our target Ubuntu server.
>>
>> We've tried apsupcd on one of our USB UPS devices and it works
>> perfectly but on this serial based one things are proving more
>> difficult. We are using the 940-1525A cable.
>>
>> These are the configuration settings that I am using (currently on
>> Windows via a USB to serial cable but I have also tried on Ubuntu
>> using a direct serial connection and get the same results):
>>
>> UPSCABLE 940-0625A
>> UPSTYPE apcsmart
>> DEVICE COM4
>> UPSCLASS standalone
>> UPSMODE disable
>>
>> I get the error "PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port."
>> with these settings.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience using our particular UPS with apsupcd
>> or have any idea why it doesn't work? Am I using the wrong protocol?

Thanks, I was hoping that it used the "smart protocol" over serial but
that doesn't seem to be the case (at least with apcupsd and from what
Adam said).

I am currently under the impression that PowerChute is using a
propitiatory protocol to talk to the UPS.

I have looked at the NMC and that certainly is an option and I believe
acpupsd would work with that. We'll consider that and upgrading the
firmware in the longer term. However, I think we'll end up just
setting PowerChute up on a machine and periodically checking that the
battery is ok etc through the web interface. I believe it can send us
alerts if there are any failures.

Alan

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Mark Claussen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recall from working with this unit (likely a SURTD30000XLT) that it uses
> the db9 connector to serial communicate directly with APC "Smart Protocol"
> and also the UPS serial configuration program.  I also recall that by adding
> the  AP9616/17 (or AP9630/31) NMC, email alerts are possible directly via
> wireless or RJ45 hardwired.  Not an apcupsd user, so apologize if this is
> not your issue.
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Alan Spark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your response.
>>
>> Unfortunately we do not have a USB port on this model, only RJ45
>> (Serial Com). The unit is almost 5 years old so I think it is unlikely
>> that it has modbus support, but I did try and I got a COMMLOST status
>> and timeouts when running apctest. The fact that we no longer get the
>> "PANIC" message was slightly encouraging but I'm not sure we can read
>> much into that. I think it's likely that modbus just isn't supported
>> on our unit.
>>
>> It sounds like a firmware upgrade may be the only option but as this
>> unit has been running reliably for 5 years we are a bit nervous about
>> changing the firmware, especially when it is our primary unit.
>>
>> I think in the short term we may have to settle for PowerChute on this
>> unit.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Adam Kropelin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The RT models can be problematic for apcupsd as they typically do not
>> > support the UPS-Link/apcsmart protocol. You have a couple options:
>> >
>> > 1. If the UPS has a USB port, you should be able to get basic monitoring
>> > from that. Use "UPSTYPE usb" and "UPSCABLE usb", just like a "normal"
>> > USB
>> > based UPS. This will get you runtime remaining and on-battery status but
>> > not
>> > much else.
>> >
>> > 2. If your UPS does not have a USB port or if you desire more complete
>> > monitoring output, you may be able to use the modbus protocol. This
>> > often
>> > requires a firmware upgrade on the UPS in order to enable support for
>> > it. If
>> > the UPS is fairly new, the firmware might support modbus already. Grovel
>> > through the menus and see if you can find an option to enable modbus.
>> > Apcupsd can be configured to use modbus over RS232 or USB using "UPSTYPE
>> > modbus" and "UPSCABLE usb" or "UPSCABLE smart".
>> >
>> > --Adam

Re: Help with SURTD3000RMXLI

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
Powerchute uses the Microlink protocol on that UPS.   This is proprietary.

Your SURT unit is NOT firmware upgradable per:

http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA164737/

The AP9616/17 likely will not work in that UPS it needs the AP9630
(which you can access from apcupsd via snmp) or the AP9620 which has the
serial port in it that will talk to apcupsd.

Ted

On 2/14/2017 7:19 AM, Alan Spark wrote:

> Thanks, I was hoping that it used the "smart protocol" over serial but
> that doesn't seem to be the case (at least with apcupsd and from what
> Adam said).
>
> I am currently under the impression that PowerChute is using a
> propitiatory protocol to talk to the UPS.
>
> I have looked at the NMC and that certainly is an option and I believe
> acpupsd would work with that. We'll consider that and upgrading the
> firmware in the longer term. However, I think we'll end up just
> setting PowerChute up on a machine and periodically checking that the
> battery is ok etc through the web interface. I believe it can send us
> alerts if there are any failures.
>
> Alan
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Mark Claussen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I recall from working with this unit (likely a SURTD30000XLT) that it uses
>> the db9 connector to serial communicate directly with APC "Smart Protocol"
>> and also the UPS serial configuration program.  I also recall that by adding
>> the  AP9616/17 (or AP9630/31) NMC, email alerts are possible directly via
>> wireless or RJ45 hardwired.  Not an apcupsd user, so apologize if this is
>> not your issue.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:23 AM, Alan Spark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately we do not have a USB port on this model, only RJ45
>>> (Serial Com). The unit is almost 5 years old so I think it is unlikely
>>> that it has modbus support, but I did try and I got a COMMLOST status
>>> and timeouts when running apctest. The fact that we no longer get the
>>> "PANIC" message was slightly encouraging but I'm not sure we can read
>>> much into that. I think it's likely that modbus just isn't supported
>>> on our unit.
>>>
>>> It sounds like a firmware upgrade may be the only option but as this
>>> unit has been running reliably for 5 years we are a bit nervous about
>>> changing the firmware, especially when it is our primary unit.
>>>
>>> I think in the short term we may have to settle for PowerChute on this
>>> unit.
>>>
>>> Alan

Re: Help with SURTD3000RMXLI

Alan Spark
I had read somewhere about Microlink and feared that is what we have.

Thanks for the info about the network card. We'll take a look into that option.

Alan

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Powerchute uses the Microlink protocol on that UPS.   This is proprietary.
>
> Your SURT unit is NOT firmware upgradable per:
>
> http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA164737/
>
> The AP9616/17 likely will not work in that UPS it needs the AP9630
> (which you can access from apcupsd via snmp) or the AP9620 which has the
> serial port in it that will talk to apcupsd.
>
> Ted
>
> On 2/14/2017 7:19 AM, Alan Spark wrote:
>> Thanks, I was hoping that it used the "smart protocol" over serial but
>> that doesn't seem to be the case (at least with apcupsd and from what
>> Adam said).
>>
>> I am currently under the impression that PowerChute is using a
>> propitiatory protocol to talk to the UPS.
>>
>> I have looked at the NMC and that certainly is an option and I believe
>> acpupsd would work with that. We'll consider that and upgrading the
>> firmware in the longer term. However, I think we'll end up just
>> setting PowerChute up on a machine and periodically checking that the
>> battery is ok etc through the web interface. I believe it can send us
>> alerts if there are any failures.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Mark Claussen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I recall from working with this unit (likely a SURTD30000XLT) that it uses
>>> the db9 connector to serial communicate directly with APC "Smart Protocol"
>>> and also the UPS serial configuration program.  I also recall that by adding
>>> the  AP9616/17 (or AP9630/31) NMC, email alerts are possible directly via
>>> wireless or RJ45 hardwired.  Not an apcupsd user, so apologize if this is
>>> not your issue.

Re: Help with SURTD3000RMXLI

Mark Claussen
Alan - May have this info already, but if not: