I plan to buy: APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA

I plan to buy: APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA

Jorge Fábregas
Hello everyone,

This is my very first time an UPS. I've been using SUSE Linux for 4 years and
I'm currently using SUSE 9.0.

Tonight I plan to go to the local CompUSA to buy this UPS (suggested by the
APC ups selector on their website).  I checked the apcupsd documentation and
it says it's supported.

Any comments regarding this UPS that I should know before? any showstopper or
something? Would you recommend it?

I'll appreciate your coments.

Many thanks!
Jorge

Re: I plan to buy: APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA

Adam Kropelin
Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is my very first time an UPS. I've been using SUSE Linux for 4
> years and I'm currently using SUSE 9.0.
>
> Tonight I plan to go to the local CompUSA to buy this UPS (suggested
> by the APC ups selector on their website).  I checked the apcupsd
> documentation and it says it's supported.
>
> Any comments regarding this UPS that I should know before? any
> showstopper or something? Would you recommend it?

The ES 750 should work fine. One thing to keep in mind is that the ES
models are the low-end of APC product family. There will be fewer status
items reported and not as many controls as the RS series, for example.
It is still much better than the old "simple signaling" serial UPSes,
though.

For best results with USB you should run a 2.6.x linux kernel and use
apcupsd-3.10.18.

--Adam

On Sunday 11 September 2005 11:21 am, Adam Kropelin wrote:
> The ES 750 should work fine. One thing to keep in mind is that the ES
> models are the low-end of APC product family. There will be fewer status
> items reported and not as many controls as the RS series, for example.
> It is still much better than the old "simple signaling" serial UPSes,
> though.

Thanks for the info. I'll check the RS series to see if it's woth the extra
money :)

> For best results with USB you should run a 2.6.x linux kernel and use
> apcupsd-3.10.18.

Ok, I plan to switch to SUSE 10.1 (when it comes out in about 4 or 5 months).
Right now I'm using SUSE 9.0  (kernel 2.4.21).  I know you said "best
results" but...will it work using acpupsd-3.10.18 and kernel 2.4.x (using USB
interface)?  This will be my last question for the month :)

Thanks Adam.

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Sunday 11 September 2005 11:21 am, Adam Kropelin wrote:
>> The ES 750 should work fine. One thing to keep in mind is that the ES
>> models are the low-end of APC product family. There will be fewer
>> status items reported and not as many controls as the RS series, for
>> example. It is still much better than the old "simple signaling"
>> serial UPSes, though.
>
> Thanks for the info. I'll check the RS series to see if it's woth the
> extra money :)

In my humble opinion the RS series is a really good trade-off between
functionality and cost. They have almost as many readouts as the
SmartUPS series do, but for a fraction of the cost. The biggest down
side I've seen on the RS is that the battery runtime estimate is
somewhat inaccurate. It seems to need to be recalibrated every few
months to keep it in line. I'm not sure if the ES models have the same
problem or not.

>> For best results with USB you should run a 2.6.x linux kernel and use
>> apcupsd-3.10.18.
>
> Ok, I plan to switch to SUSE 10.1 (when it comes out in about 4 or 5
> months). Right now I'm using SUSE 9.0  (kernel 2.4.21).  I know you
> said "best results" but...will it work using acpupsd-3.10.18 and
> kernel 2.4.x (using USB interface)?  This will be my last question
> for the month :)

You need kernel 2.4.22 at a minimum. Anything older than that will be
troublesome.

--Adam

Re: I plan to buy: APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA

Jorge Fábregas
Thanks Adam. Your time helping us here is well appreciated :)

Jorge

Re: I plan to buy: APC Back-UPS ES USB 750VA

Moe-3
Jorge

A few years ago, I spoke with APC technical people, both on-line and
at trade shows.  They told me that the BackUps line was the low cost
series and used a stepped approximation to a sine wave for the power
output to the load.  I also noted that the panel display was not as
complete as the SmartUps.  They also told me that the SmartUps line,
for units rated 700VA and higher, delivered a true sine wave to the
load.  The SmartUps are somewhat higher priced.  You get what you pay
for, as with many other things.  I managed to get the best of both
worlds by buying SmartUps, mostly 1200VA units, on eBay from people
who had UPSs with bad batteries.  Generally, the shipping cost more
than the UPS.  There are many on-line suppliers of gel-cell lead-acid
batteries who sell them at about half the price compared to what APC
charges for equivalent batteries.  I am getting close to five years
on my re-batteried SmartUps, and they are still going strong.

Good luck with yours.

Moe
------

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 10:42:01PM -0700, Moe wrote:
> Jorge
>
> A few years ago, I spoke with APC technical people, both on-line and
> at trade shows.  They told me that the BackUps line was the low cost
> series and used a stepped approximation to a sine wave for the power
> output to the load.  I also noted that the panel display was not as
> complete as the SmartUps.  They also told me that the SmartUps line,
> for units rated 700VA and higher, delivered a true sine wave to the
> load.

Yes, the only series that delivers a true sine wave is still the
SmartUPS. (Well, I presume the super high-end Matrix and its brethren
have a true sine wave as well, but I've never been lucky enough to have
one.) Even the mid range RS/XS series still uses an approximation.
The only device I've ever encountered that doesn't like the
approxmiated wave is the SGI Indy workstation. The power supply in
that guy refuses to run when powered by anything but a SmartUPS.

> The SmartUps are somewhat higher priced.  You get what you pay
> for, as with many other things.  I managed to get the best of both
> worlds by buying SmartUps, mostly 1200VA units, on eBay from people
> who had UPSs with bad batteries.  Generally, the shipping cost more
> than the UPS.  There are many on-line suppliers of gel-cell lead-acid
> batteries who sell them at about half the price compared to what APC
> charges for equivalent batteries.  I am getting close to five years
> on my re-batteried SmartUps, and they are still going strong.

That's a good recommendation; that's how I acquired all of my SmartUPS
models. It's interesting to note that a SmartUPS cannot power on if the
battery are completely dead, *even* when utility power is connected. New
batteries will almost always bring it back to life.

The apcupsd manual has a couple recommendations from folks on where to
get batteries, and as Moe says there are lots of options. One thing I'll
note is the older SmartUPS models did not have "user replaceable"
batteries, meaning you have to crack the unit open and expose yourself
to potentially lethal voltages in order to change the batteries. It's
still fairly easy to do, but a bit of experience around electronics is
highly recommended.

--Adam

Adam Kropelin wrote:

> ... One thing I'll
> note is the older SmartUPS models did not have "user replaceable"
> batteries, meaning you have to crack the unit open and expose yourself
> to potentially lethal voltages in order to change the batteries. It's
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> still fairly easy to do, but a bit of experience around electronics is
> highly recommended.
>
> --Adam

Hmmmm, potentially lethal 24 Volts DC?  Now there is a real item to
be careful with.  It is not the voltage, but the current available
from those gel-cell lead-acid batteries.  BE SURE to remove any rings,
metal watch bands, etc.  That ring or band could get red hot very
quickly across the battery terminals.  Buy your wife a dozen roses,
but take off that ring while working on the open UPS  :)  (Just as
you would/should working on your car battery.)

Of course, you have disconnected the UPS from the mains some time
before opening it.  Remenber that there are filter capacitors that
can retain a charge.  Give them time to discharge. Im days long past,
I used to get hit by 10uf 600volt capacitors.  I did not like the
effect, but I am still alive and well.

Yes, a bit of experience around electronics -- and car batteries --
is highly recommended.

Moe