Is the SMT750 still not recommended?

Herdo
I'm in the processes of shopping for a UPS for my unRAID server.  I've been told to make sure the UPS I purchase supports apcupsd.

I've narrowed my choices down to the SMT750 and the SMC1000.

I've done some searching and found that at least at one point, the SMT750 was not recommended.  The only post I could find was from several years ago though and I'm not sure if that's still the case.

What about the SMC1000?

Any reason I should chose one over the other?

Thank you

Re: Is the SMT750 still not recommended?

Ted Mittelstaedt-5

The SMT750 supposedly did not have updatable firmware thus when modbus
code came out you couldn't flash it to support it.

Don't know if the current shipping SMT750 supports modbus but APC
said they were going to update all smart models to modbus.

Buy from a local retailer who you can return it to if it doesn't.

Ted

On 8/21/2016 8:33 AM, Herdo wrote:

> I'm in the processes of shopping for a UPS for my unRAID server.  I've been
> told to make sure the UPS I purchase supports apcupsd.
>
> I've narrowed my choices down to the SMT750 and the SMC1000.
>
> I've done some searching and found that at least at one point, the SMT750
> was not recommended.  The only post I could find was from several years ago
> though and I'm not sure if that's still the case.
>
> What about the SMC1000?
>
> Any reason I should chose one over the other?
>

> Thank you

Re: Is the SMT750 still not recommended?

Manfred Schwarb
Am 23.08.2016 um 11:28 schrieb Ted Mittelstaedt:

> The SMT750 supposedly did not have updatable firmware thus when modbus
> code came out you couldn't flash it to support it.

The older ones can only be flashed to version 7.1 which does not
support modbus.
The newer ones (available since 2 years or so) do support modbus
out of the box or can be flashed to a version which supports modbus
(current version is 9.3).

Id est if you have a firmware version 8 or more it can be made to work with modbus,
see also http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/content/?id=FA281865

Cheers,
Manfred

> Don't know if the current shipping SMT750 supports modbus but APC
> said they were going to update all smart models to modbus.
>
> Buy from a local retailer who you can return it to if it doesn't.
>
> Ted
>
> On 8/21/2016 8:33 AM, Herdo wrote:
>> I'm in the processes of shopping for a UPS for my unRAID server.  I've been
>> told to make sure the UPS I purchase supports apcupsd.
>>
>> I've narrowed my choices down to the SMT750 and the SMC1000.
>>
>> I've done some searching and found that at least at one point, the SMT750
>> was not recommended.  The only post I could find was from several years ago
>> though and I'm not sure if that's still the case.
>>
>> What about the SMC1000?
>>
>> Any reason I should chose one over the other?
>>

>> Thank you

Re: Is the SMT750 still not recommended?

Mark Claussen
Look at the third review - great job of comparisons:

I used a SUA750RM1U for sometime and liked the thin profile as it could be easily hidden under just about any cabinet.  Seemed very well built.  Must be very careful about max wattage load - these don't have any "safety factor" and will not run above their wattage rating.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Manfred Schwarb <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 23.08.2016 um 11:28 schrieb Ted Mittelstaedt:

> The SMT750 supposedly did not have updatable firmware thus when modbus
> code came out you couldn't flash it to support it.

The older ones can only be flashed to version 7.1 which does not
support modbus.
The newer ones (available since 2 years or so) do support modbus
out of the box or can be flashed to a version which supports modbus
(current version is 9.3).

Id est if you have a firmware version 8 or more it can be made to work with modbus,
see also http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/content/?id=FA281865

Cheers,
Manfred

> Don't know if the current shipping SMT750 supports modbus but APC
> said they were going to update all smart models to modbus.
>
> Buy from a local retailer who you can return it to if it doesn't.
>
> Ted
>
> On 8/21/2016 8:33 AM, Herdo wrote:
>> I'm in the processes of shopping for a UPS for my unRAID server.  I've been
>> told to make sure the UPS I purchase supports apcupsd.
>>
>> I've narrowed my choices down to the SMT750 and the SMC1000.
>>
>> I've done some searching and found that at least at one point, the SMT750
>> was not recommended.  The only post I could find was from several years ago
>> though and I'm not sure if that's still the case.
>>
>> What about the SMC1000?
>>
>> Any reason I should chose one over the other?
>>

>> Thank you

Re: Is the SMT750 still not recommended?

Jernej Simončič-3
On Sunday, August 21, 2016, 17:33:15, Herdo wrote:

> What about the SMC1000?

Almost certainly worse than SMT - current SMT's should be upgradeable
to support modbus protocol (if they don't come with modbus firmware
pre-installed already), while according to APC, SMC's do not support
it, and there are no plans for it, so you'll only get basic info from
them.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Do not nurse a kid who wears braces.