Missing information in apcaccess output

akrotov
Your operating system : Raspbian GNU/Linux 7
The version of apcupsd you are using : apcupsd 3.14.10 (13 September
2011) debian
The model and UPS cable you are using :APC SMT1000RMI2U,cable = USB

A clear description of the problem:

Hello guys !

I have a problem,my configuration working correctly but in Web interface
( as well as in apcaccess) i cant find values LOADPCT,LINEV and ITEMP
.For example output apcaccess

APC      : 001,028,0738
DATE     : 2016-09-13 14:10:38 +0000
HOSTNAME : p-ups05
VERSION  : 3.14.10 (13 September 2011) debian
UPSNAME  : ups1
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2016-08-23 09:27:07 +0000
MODEL    : Smart-UPS 1000
STATUS   : ONLINE
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  93.0 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
ALARMDEL : 30 seconds
BATTV    : 27.0 Volts
NUMXFERS : 2
XONBATT  : 2016-09-09 12:56:21 +0000
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 16 seconds
XOFFBATT : 2016-09-09 12:56:29 +0000
STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag
MANDATE  : 2013-08-09
SERIALNO : AS1332235581
NOMBATTV :  24.0 Volts
FIRMWARE : UPS 08.8 / ID=18
END APC  : 2016-09-13 14:11:12 +0000

How can i solve this problem?

Re: Missing information in apcaccess output

apcupsd-4
Note that not all UPSs report all values. I have 3 UPSs, models
Smart-UPS SC620, Smart-UPS 620 and Back-UPS BF500. Only the Back-UPS
BF500 reports temperature (and the temperature reported has never
changed). However, they do all report LOADPCT and LINEV.

Allan

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:30 PM, akrotov wrote:

> Your operating system : Raspbian GNU/Linux 7
> The version of apcupsd you are using : apcupsd 3.14.10 (13 September
> 2011) debian
> The model and UPS cable you are using :APC SMT1000RMI2U,cable = USB
>
> A clear description of the problem:
>
> Hello guys !
>
> I have a problem,my configuration working correctly but in Web interface
> ( as well as in apcaccess) i cant find values LOADPCT,LINEV and ITEMP
> .For example output apcaccess
>
> APC      : 001,028,0738
> DATE     : 2016-09-13 14:10:38 +0000
> HOSTNAME : p-ups05
> VERSION  : 3.14.10 (13 September 2011) debian
> UPSNAME  : ups1
> CABLE    : USB Cable
> DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
> STARTTIME: 2016-08-23 09:27:07 +0000
> MODEL    : Smart-UPS 1000
> STATUS   : ONLINE
> BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
> TIMELEFT :  93.0 Minutes
> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
> MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
> ALARMDEL : 30 seconds
> BATTV    : 27.0 Volts
> NUMXFERS : 2
> XONBATT  : 2016-09-09 12:56:21 +0000
> TONBATT  : 0 seconds
> CUMONBATT: 16 seconds
> XOFFBATT : 2016-09-09 12:56:29 +0000
> STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag
> MANDATE  : 2013-08-09
> SERIALNO : AS1332235581
> NOMBATTV :  24.0 Volts
> FIRMWARE : UPS 08.8 / ID=18
> END APC  : 2016-09-13 14:11:12 +0000
>
> How can i solve this problem?

Re: Missing information in apcaccess output

the SMT series does not report all values unless you use a modern
version of apcupsd and turn on Modbus support.  You may need to
do a firmware update to your SMT to enable modbus support if it
is an older SMT.

You need to run version 3.14.13 of apcupsd for modbus support over
USB.

Please let us know if you have problems compiling 3.14.13 under
Raspbian.  And also do people a favor and bitch to the maintainers
of Raspbian to get off their duffs and update apcupsd.

Ted

On 9/13/2016 7:30 AM, akrotov wrote:

> Your operating system : Raspbian GNU/Linux 7
> The version of apcupsd you are using : apcupsd 3.14.10 (13 September
> 2011) debian
> The model and UPS cable you are using :APC SMT1000RMI2U,cable = USB
>
> A clear description of the problem:
>
> Hello guys !
>
> I have a problem,my configuration working correctly but in Web interface
> ( as well as in apcaccess) i cant find values LOADPCT,LINEV and ITEMP
> .For example output apcaccess
>
> APC      : 001,028,0738
> DATE     : 2016-09-13 14:10:38 +0000
> HOSTNAME : p-ups05
> VERSION  : 3.14.10 (13 September 2011) debian
> UPSNAME  : ups1
> CABLE    : USB Cable
> DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
> STARTTIME: 2016-08-23 09:27:07 +0000
> MODEL    : Smart-UPS 1000
> STATUS   : ONLINE
> BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
> TIMELEFT :  93.0 Minutes
> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
> MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
> ALARMDEL : 30 seconds
> BATTV    : 27.0 Volts
> NUMXFERS : 2
> XONBATT  : 2016-09-09 12:56:21 +0000
> TONBATT  : 0 seconds
> CUMONBATT: 16 seconds
> XOFFBATT : 2016-09-09 12:56:29 +0000
> STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag
> MANDATE  : 2013-08-09
> SERIALNO : AS1332235581
> NOMBATTV :  24.0 Volts
> FIRMWARE : UPS 08.8 / ID=18
> END APC  : 2016-09-13 14:11:12 +0000
>
> How can i solve this problem?

Re: Missing information in apcaccess output

David Ranch

Hey Ted,

Raspbian packages comes from Debian and looking there, their testing distros (sid, stretch) both have 3.14.14 which is current.  For their stable releases Wheezy (oldstable) and Jessie (stable), they are running older releases of APCUPSD based on what was available when they were released.  If you recommend that they get upgraded which is called a "request for packaging" ("backports" means something else), there is a process.  I've recently learned a bit about this process for one of my own packages and it's recommended that someone of authority for this package (you or one of your key lieutenants) should:

   - Send An email to the appropriate Debian email list (I think this will go into the power-management list but I'm not sure) or check with the package maintainer as listed at https://packages.debian.org/stretch/apcupsd

      or

   - Submit a Debian "Request for Packaging (RFP) request into the Debian Bug Tracking System using
the "reportbug" tool per https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

For highly active projects, most of the package updates happen in a timely fashion but for packages that are stable / slow moving, it seems updates can get missed.

--David

On 09/14/2016 03:53 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
Please let us know if you have problems compiling 3.14.13 under
Raspbian.  And also do people a favor and bitch to the maintainers
of Raspbian to get off their duffs and update apcupsd.

Re: Missing information in apcaccess output

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
Hi David,

There's dozens of Linux distros out there, it's unreasonable to ask an
app maintainer to be familiar with each one's different way of being
notified of updates.

If a distro wants to include prepackage software they have a
responsibility of maintaining current versions of those software apps.
It is on Raspbian's people to follow apcupsd, not the other way around.

It really is best for this process to be user-driven by users of that
distro.   The Linux and other Unix distros that make it easy for their
own users to notify the distro maintainers about these problems are the
most successful.

If Raspbian requires an email from someone in apcupsd to kick off an
update instead of an email from one of it's own users, IMHO they have
problems.  From my POV, "we done our part" now it's up to the original
poster with the problem to kick off the process and "talk amongst
yourselves"

Ted

On 9/14/2016 9:44 AM, David Ranch wrote:

> Hey Ted,
>
> Raspbian packages comes from Debian and looking there, their testing
> distros (sid, stretch) both have 3.14.14 which is current.  For their
> stable releases Wheezy (oldstable) and Jessie (stable), they are running
> older releases of APCUPSD based on what was available when they were
> released.  If you recommend that they get upgraded which is called a
> "request for packaging" ("backports" means something else), there is a
> process.  I've recently learned a bit about this process for one of my
> own packages and it's recommended that someone of authority for this
> package (you or one of your key lieutenants) should:
>
>    - Send An email to the appropriate Debian email list (I think this
> will go into the power-management list but I'm not sure) or check with
> the package maintainer as listed at
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/apcupsd
>
>       or
>
>    - Submit a Debian "Request for Packaging (RFP) request into the
> Debian Bug Tracking System using the "reportbug" tool per
> https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
>

> For highly active projects, most of the package updates happen in a
> timely fashion but for packages that are stable / slow moving, it seems
> updates can get missed.
>
> --David
>

> On 09/14/2016 03:53 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Please let us know if you have problems compiling 3.14.13 under
>> Raspbian.  And also do people a favor and bitch to the maintainers
>> of Raspbian to get off their duffs and update apcupsd.

Re: Missing information in apcaccess output

David Ranch

Hello Ted,

All distros have their "issues" and at least for Debian, *ALL* package maintainers are volunteers.  This specific volunteer (CCed) has been keeping things up to date for Debian's cutting edge distro versions but he/she has not requested a backport to the older distros.  The package maintainer probably has no idea that there are critical features / fixes / etc in the newest APCUPSD.  You can say this is their "job" but most distros won't even entertain backports and they will tell you to just upgrade your distro to get the newer stuff.  Fortunately, Debian is different and they offer both models.

Ultimately, no distro nor package maintainer is perfect so, at minimum, an email to them directly (as done here) or an email to the proper support list (that they should be apart of is sometimes needed.

--David

On 09/14/2016 10:14 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
[...]

Thanks for ccing the porter.

remember this is a user who initiated this so if the porter does a
backport and does not cc the apcupsd mailing list the user won't
see it.

Just for reference, any APC SmartUPSes with modem numbers starting with
SMT (which is like all currently shipping APC UPSes) must use the
latest apcupsd.

Ted

On 9/14/2016 10:50 AM, David Ranch wrote:

> [...]
>>> process.  I've recently learned a bit about this process for one of my
>>> own packages and it's recommended that someone of authority for this
>>> package (you or one of your key lieutenants) should:
>>>
>>>    - Send An email to the appropriate Debian email list (I think this
>>> will go into the power-management list but I'm not sure) or check with
>>> the package maintainer as listed at
>>> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/apcupsd
>>>
>>>       or
>>>
>>>    - Submit a Debian "Request for Packaging (RFP) request into the
>>> Debian Bug Tracking System using the "reportbug" tool per
>>> https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
>>>

>>> For highly active projects, most of the package updates happen in a
>>> timely fashion but for packages that are stable / slow moving, it seems
>>> updates can get missed.
>>>
>>> --David

Re: Missing information in apcaccess output

Well ,i compiled apcupsd ver. 3.14.14 and set

UPSCABLE usb
UPSTYPE modbus

But when i'm trying to launch apcuspd i'm getting error :

Checking configuration ...
: Warning: old configuration file found.

: Expected: "## apcupsd.conf v1.1 ##"
: Found:    "UPSNAME ups1
"

: Please check new file format and
: modify accordingly the first line
: of config file.

: Processing config file anyway.
sharenet.type = Network & ShareUPS Disabled
cable.type = USB Cable
mode.type = MODBUS UPS Driver
Setting up the port ...
apctest FATAL ERROR in apctest.c at line 321
Unable to open UPS device.
   If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
   please stop it and run this program again.
apctest error termination completed

But there is no other apcupsd instances running...

On 14/09/16 13:53, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> the SMT series does not report all values unless you use a modern
> version of apcupsd and turn on Modbus support.  You may need to
> do a firmware update to your SMT to enable modbus support if it
> is an older SMT.
>
> You need to run version 3.14.13 of apcupsd for modbus support over
> USB.
>
> Please let us know if you have problems compiling 3.14.13 under
> Raspbian.  And also do people a favor and bitch to the maintainers
> of Raspbian to get off their duffs and update apcupsd.
>
> Ted
>
> On 9/13/2016 7:30 AM, akrotov wrote:
>> Your operating system : Raspbian GNU/Linux 7
>> The version of apcupsd you are using : apcupsd 3.14.10 (13 September
>> 2011) debian
>> The model and UPS cable you are using :APC SMT1000RMI2U,cable = USB
>>
>> A clear description of the problem:
>>
>> Hello guys !
>>
>> I have a problem,my configuration working correctly but in Web interface
>> ( as well as in apcaccess) i cant find values LOADPCT,LINEV and ITEMP
>> .For example output apcaccess
>>
>> APC      : 001,028,0738
>> DATE     : 2016-09-13 14:10:38 +0000
>> HOSTNAME : p-ups05
>> VERSION  : 3.14.10 (13 September 2011) debian
>> UPSNAME  : ups1
>> CABLE    : USB Cable
>> DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
>> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>> STARTTIME: 2016-08-23 09:27:07 +0000
>> MODEL    : Smart-UPS 1000
>> STATUS   : ONLINE
>> BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
>> TIMELEFT :  93.0 Minutes
>> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
>> MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
>> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>> ALARMDEL : 30 seconds
>> BATTV    : 27.0 Volts
>> NUMXFERS : 2
>> XONBATT  : 2016-09-09 12:56:21 +0000
>> TONBATT  : 0 seconds
>> CUMONBATT: 16 seconds
>> XOFFBATT : 2016-09-09 12:56:29 +0000
>> STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag
>> MANDATE  : 2013-08-09
>> SERIALNO : AS1332235581
>> NOMBATTV :  24.0 Volts
>> FIRMWARE : UPS 08.8 / ID=18
>> END APC  : 2016-09-13 14:11:12 +0000
>>
>> How can i solve this problem?

Best regards,
Alexandr Krotov
Gaijin Entertainment

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Website: www.gaijin.ru

Re: Missing information in apcaccess output

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
apctest is supposed to be run when apcupsd is not running

how are you starting this it almost looks like you are running
apcupsd which is loading and then immediately running apctest which
is failing and the error messages are being run together.

Ted