My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

123

My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Hi all,
        I have many questions, hopefully somebody would be able to
make sense of it all.

  I got a Back-UPS BR  800 which has cable number 940 - 127E FCI now
the table at http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/Supported_UPSes_Cables.html#type_005ftable
doesn't show my cable, the closest that comes to  it is :-

BackUPS CS USB, Pro USB, ES USB, RS/XS 1000, RS/XS 1500, and probably
other USB models usb usb (note: using APC cables 940-0127A/B/C)
        Supported in version >=3.9.8

The cable type is something like RJ-45 to USB with the USB end to be
put in the computer

I'm running apcupsd 3.14.4 (18 May 2008) version .

Running /proc/bus/usb/devices gives me the following info.

T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=051d ProdID=0002 Rev= 1.06
S:  Manufacturer=American Power Conversion
S:  Product=Back-UPS BR  800 FW:9.o4 .I USB FW:o4
S:  SerialNumber=some serial number
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr= 24mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid

Doing a tail /var/log/messages shows me this :-

Oct 15 16:29:40 Mugglewille-desktop kernel: [ 3638.485058] usb 2-2:
configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Oct 15 16:29:40 Mugglewille-desktop kernel: [ 3639.112833]
hiddev96hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [American Power Conversion
Back-UPS BR  800 FW:9.o4 .I USB FW:o4 ] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2

similarly doing a ps ax shows me this :-

 6314 ?        S      0:00 hald-addon-hid-ups: listening on /dev/usb/hiddev0

 This is my /etc/acupsd.conf file

UPSCABLE 940-0127E

UPSTYPE usb
DEVICE

POLLTIME 60

NETSERVER off

NISIP 127.0.0.1

NISPORT 3551

Now i don't know why but if I do the following

 /etc/init.d/apcupsd status

it gives the following :-
Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused

(No firewall is enabled then why?)

Also doing

 sudo /sbin/apcaccess  gives :-

Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused

Doing a  sudo /sbin/apcupsd

gives

/sbin/apcupsd: Bogus configuration value (*invalid-cable*)
Terminating due to configuration file errors.

Can somebody help me so i can get some output, thanx in advance.
         Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
This is for a standalone machine and UPS, I wanna use gpacmon to see
the ups stuff as well as use/read the the CLI tools as well.

Another thing does anybody know the frequency of apcupsd file releases?
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Hi all,
 Sorry for being a pain in the *** but from what I read and
experienced it seems there is the normal charge and discharging is
there, but there also seems to be some kind of backup battery or
something as well.

Is there any strategy guideline/better practises/best practises one
can follow so the UPS is there for a long time. For e.g. I came to
know that its a good idea to drain the UPS as much as possible as
practise otherwise the UPS can develop a kind of memory issue,
something like this http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000354.htm .
Is this also something that one should watch out for?

Any comments, suggestions etc. are welcome.
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
I meant this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect it would have
made things so much easier to relate or share :)
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
I just found some documentation at
/usr/share/doc/apcupsd/examples/rpt/Back-UPS-BR-800.rpt.gz hope that
helps as well.
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

Arnim Littek-5
>> shirish <[hidden email]> 10/16/08 12:30 AM >>>
> UPSCABLE 940-0127E
> UPSTYPE usb
> DEVICE
> POLLTIME 60
> NETSERVER off
> NISIP 127.0.0.1
> NISPORT 3551

try

USBCABLE  usb

works for me.

arnim

WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged.
They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be read, used, copied or
disseminated by anyone receiving them in error. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender by return email and delete this message and any attachments.

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect
the official views of SirTrack. see   http://www.sirtrack.com

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Hi Arnim,
 Even after changing that it didn't work. I still get :-

/etc/init.d/apcupsd status
Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused

Just for info. again this is the way the whole thing looks on my
/etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf file.

Back-UPS
UPSCABLE usb
UPSTYPE usb
DEVICE
POLLTIME 60
LOCKFILE /var/lock
SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
NOLOGINDIR /etc

ONBATTERYDELAY 6
BATTERYLEVEL 3
MINUTES 1
TIMEOUT 0
ANNOY 150
ANNOYDELAY 60
NOLOGON disable

KILLDELAY 0
NETSERVER off
NISIP 127.0.0.1
NISPORT 3551
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
EVENTSFILEMAX 10

UPSCLASS standalone
STATTIME 30
STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0
#FACILITY DAEMON

Haven't touched any of the eeprom stuff (don't hope to do so, atleast not yet)

Comments, suggestions are eagerly awaited.
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Hi all,
 I've got some idea of the issue but still hunting. This is what I get
on /var/log/apcupsd.events

 cat /var/log/apcupsd.events
Wed Oct 15 13:42:58 IST 2008  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 171
PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
Please make sure the port specified on the DEVICE directive is correct,
and that your cable specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct.
Wed Oct 15 13:42:58 IST 2008  apcupsd error shutdown completed
Wed Oct 15 15:30:46 IST 2008  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 171
PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
Please make sure the port specified on the DEVICE directive is correct,
and that your cable specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct.
Wed Oct 15 15:30:46 IST 2008  apcupsd error shutdown completed
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

Bill R. Williams
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 03:41:40PM +0530, shirish wrote:

> Hi all,
>  I've got some idea of the issue but still hunting. This is what I get
> on /var/log/apcupsd.events
>
>  cat /var/log/apcupsd.events
> Wed Oct 15 13:42:58 IST 2008  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 171
> PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
> Please make sure the port specified on the DEVICE directive is correct,
> and that your cable specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct.
> Wed Oct 15 13:42:58 IST 2008  apcupsd error shutdown completed
> Wed Oct 15 15:30:46 IST 2008  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 171
> PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
> Please make sure the port specified on the DEVICE directive is correct,
> and that your cable specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct.
> Wed Oct 15 15:30:46 IST 2008  apcupsd error shutdown completed

Looking these sections of your note...

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 05:00:00PM +0530, shirish wrote:
...[snip]...
> BackUPS CS USB, Pro USB, ES USB, RS/XS 1000, RS/XS 1500, and probably
> other USB models usb usb (note: using APC cables 940-0127A/B/C)
> Supported in version >=3.9.8
>
> The cable type is something like RJ-45 to USB with the USB end to be
> put in the computer
...[snip]...
>  This is my /etc/acupsd.conf file
>
> UPSCABLE 940-0127E
>
> UPSTYPE usb
...[snip]...

I think maybe you should change UPSCABLE to:
  UPSCABLE usb

...just a guess.

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Hi all,
 Bill thank you for getting back. I did that as well, it says and has
been constantly saying for almost 24 hours now that

UPSCABLE usb

as well as

UPSTYPE usb
DEVICE

but still I'm not getting anything when I try

 /etc/init.d/apcupsd status
Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused

/etc/init.d/apcupsd start
Starting UPS power management: Terminating due to configuration file errors.

Just no idea why its happening like that, most preplexing :(
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

Adam Kropelin
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:41 AM, shirish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>  Bill thank you for getting back. I did that as well, it says and has
> been constantly saying for almost 24 hours now that
>
> UPSCABLE usb
>
> as well as
>
> UPSTYPE usb
> DEVICE
>
> but still I'm not getting anything when I try
>
>  /etc/init.d/apcupsd status
> Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused
>
> /etc/init.d/apcupsd start
> Starting UPS power management: Terminating due to configuration file errors.

This error means you have typos in your apcupsd.conf file.

--Adam

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Hi Adam,
 I have pastebinned my /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf at
http://pastebin.com/f6e9bdc8c

Anybody and I mean anybody, please lemme know where I have gone wrong.
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

Reuti
Am 24.10.2008 um 15:49 schrieb shirish:

> Hi Adam,
>  I have pastebinned my /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf at
> http://pastebin.com/f6e9bdc8c
>
> Anybody and I mean anybody, please lemme know where I have gone wrong.

You need the line

UPSNAME Back-800

instead of specifying only the name Back-800.

-- Reuti

> --
>           Regards,
>           Shirish Agarwal
>   This email is licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
> by-nc/3.0/
>
> 065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Hi all,
       Reuti, thanx to you some more progress being made :)

Now I don't get any error while doing sudo /sbin/apcupsd  (yay!)

but still no love on the status thing.

/etc/init.d/apcupsd status
Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused

Some more interesting information.

 sudo /etc/init.d/apcupsd restart
Stopping UPS power management: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to
kill 9086: No such process
1 pids were not killed
No process in pidfile `/var/run/apcupsd.pid' found running; none killed.
apcupsd.
Starting UPS power management:
A copy of the daemon is still running.  If you just stopped it,
please wait about 5 seconds for it to shut down.

Then tried to see what is in the logs.

 cat /var/log/apcupsd.events
Wed Oct 15 13:42:58 IST 2008  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 171
PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
Please make sure the port specified on the DEVICE directive is correct,
and that your cable specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct.
Wed Oct 15 13:42:58 IST 2008  apcupsd error shutdown completed
Wed Oct 15 15:30:46 IST 2008  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in smartsetup.c at line 171
PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
Please make sure the port specified on the DEVICE directive is correct,
and that your cable specification on the UPSCABLE directive is correct.
Wed Oct 15 15:30:46 IST 2008  apcupsd error shutdown completed
Fri Oct 24 21:14:55 IST 2008  Valid lock file for pid=9076, but not
ours pid=9086
Fri Oct 24 21:14:55 IST 2008  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in device.c at line 70
Unable to create UPS lock file.
  If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
  please stop it and run this program again.
Fri Oct 24 21:14:55 IST 2008  Valid lock file for pid=9076, but not
ours pid=9086
Fri Oct 24 21:14:55 IST 2008  apcupsd error shutdown completed

Any ideas gentleman ?
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Nasty surprise

Rich Winkel
Ok, I was testing the UPS shutdown feature yesterday ... I thought I
was safe since I'd swapped in apccontrol.safe for the real thing.
So ... I guess the UPS shutdown command is done by the daemon itself eh?
(freebsd 7.0, apcupsd-3.14.4_1 with "--kill-on-powerfail" argument)

Rich

Re: My cable is not in the list shown at supported UPS_Cables list

shirish शिरीष
Could it be due to GNOME Power Manager also doing something?

I just got this message on my console when lights went out for couple
of minutes.

Broadcast Message from root@Mugglewille-desktop
        (somewhere) at 1:45 ...

Power failure on UPS Back-800. Running on batteries.

Broadcast Message from root@Mugglewille-desktop
        (somewhere) at 1:46 ...

Power has returned on UPS Back-800...

Am 24.10.2008 um 17:52 schrieb shirish:

> Hi all,
>        Reuti, thanx to you some more progress being made :)
>
> Now I don't get any error while doing sudo /sbin/apcupsd  (yay!)
>
> but still no love on the status thing.
>
> /etc/init.d/apcupsd status
> Error contacting apcupsd @ localhost:3551: Connection refused

so the apsupcd is running. The "status" will not check whether the
process is running with "ps" or so, but just call "/sbin/apc/master/
apcaccess status".

Do you have some settings in /etc/hosts.allow or .deny?

Maybe you need a line in hosts.allow:

apcupsd:               127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0

-- Reuti

Am 24.10.2008 um 22:23 schrieb shirish:

> Could it be due to GNOME Power Manager also doing something?

No, it's coming from apcupsd - the GNOME can't know the correct name
of the UPS I think - it would be coincidence.

> I just got this message on my console when lights went out for couple
> of minutes.
>
> Broadcast Message from root@Mugglewille-desktop
>         (somewhere) at 1:45 ...
>
> Power failure on UPS Back-800. Running on batteries.
>

> Broadcast Message from root@Mugglewille-desktop
>         (somewhere) at 1:46 ...
>
> Power has returned on UPS Back-800...

This looks like the messages I get occasionally from apcupsd.

-- Reuti

> --
>           Regards,
>           Shirish Agarwal
>   This email is licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
> by-nc/3.0/
>
> 065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: Nasty surprise

Reuti

Am 24.10.2008 um 19:19 schrieb Rich Winkel:

> Ok, I was testing the UPS shutdown feature yesterday ... I thought I
> was safe since I'd swapped in apccontrol.safe for the real thing.
> So ... I guess the UPS shutdown command is done by the daemon
> itself eh?
> (freebsd 7.0, apcupsd-3.14.4_1 with "--kill-on-powerfail" argument)

what do you mean in detail? You exchanged apccontrol with the file
from the "example" directory safe.apccontrol? Or was the original
apccontrol still in place?

apcupsd will call e.g. "apccontrol doshutdown" and it will execute
the appropriate case in this file or call a script with name
"doshutdown" if it exists.

-- Reuti

> Rich

> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: Nasty surprise

Rich Winkel
On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:29:22AM +0200, Reuti wrote:

> Am 24.10.2008 um 19:19 schrieb Rich Winkel:
>
> > Ok, I was testing the UPS shutdown feature yesterday ... I thought I
> > was safe since I'd swapped in apccontrol.safe for the real thing.
> > So ... I guess the UPS shutdown command is done by the daemon
> > itself eh?
> > (freebsd 7.0, apcupsd-3.14.4_1 with "--kill-on-powerfail" argument)
>
> what do you mean in detail? You exchanged apccontrol with the file
> from the "example" directory safe.apccontrol? Or was the original
> apccontrol still in place?

I replaced apcccontrol with safe.apcccontrol.

> apcupsd will call e.g. "apccontrol doshutdown" and it will execute
> the appropriate case in this file or call a script with name
> "doshutdown" if it exists.

The UPS shut down after a few minutes in spite of power being restored
and after apcupsd notified of restored power.

I had specified the
--kill-on-powerfail
option to apcupsd.  I think this is specific to freebsd, something about
apcupsd not being able to regain control after shutdown.

So my guess is that the --kill-on-powerfail option operates independently
of apccontrol ?

Rich

123