Net client on OS X 10.11 El Capitan

vincent@acheson.uk.com

Net client on OS X 10.11 El Capitan

For anybody who is not super-proficient with the terminal and building from source on OS X, this is how I got Apcupsd running on El Capitan for use as a net client - NOT connected via USB to the UPS. Apologies for any errors, or for places I've used several steps where one would do better.

My Use Case:
* Linux PC running off and connected to UPS USB
* Mac Mini running off same UPS
* Linux PC set up as net server

All instructions refer to the mac mini.

  1. Download and open Xcode (compiler tools won't run until you've agreed the user terms and installed components)
  2. Download the source tarball from apcupsd.org. I used apcupsd-3.14.13. If you are using a later version, some of the steps which follow (partic. 18&19) may be unnecessary.
  3. Browse to your Downloads folder and double-click the apcupsd-3.14.13 tar file to expand it
  4. In case there are fixes for the Darwin (aka OS X) platform which have not made it into the tarball, go to https://sourceforge.net/p/apcupsd/svn/HEAD/tree/branches/ Pick the most recent Branch, and then "Download Snapshot".
  5. Expand the Snapshot.
  6. Browse to "platforms/darwin" in the Snapshot you've just expanded.
  7. Remove the ".in" suffix from any files which have one. (Note: not sure if this is necessary)
  8. Replace the "platforms/darwin" subfolder in your expanded apcupsd-3.. folder with the "platforms/darwin" subfolder from the Snapshot.
  9. Open the Terminal and execute the following in turn.

  10. cd ./Downloads/ apcupsd-3.**

  11. ./configure --sbindir=/usr/local/sbin

  12. make

  13. sudo make install

  14. To edit apcupsd.conf you can either browse to /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf and open with your favourite text editor, or do

    sudo nano /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf

    A text editor with syntax highlighting helps you see the wood from the trees.

  15. My apcupsd.conf looks like this:

    UPSNAME smart1500
    UPSCABLE ether
    UPSTYPE net
    DEVICE ..***:3551 (insert correct ip address)
    POLLTIME 10

    ======== Configuration parameters used during power failures ==========
    Pick your parameters according to your own needs

    ==== Configuration statements for Network Information Server ====
    NETSERVER off

  16. sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apcupsd.apcupsd.plist.

  17. Steps 18 & 19 only apply if step 15 throws an error:

  18. Browse to /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apcupsd.apcupsd.plist, and edit the file:
    line 12 - <string>@sbindir@/apcupsd-start</string>
    + <string>/usr/local/sbin/apcupsd</string>

  19. Browse to /usr/local/sbin/apcupsd-start, and edit the file:
    line 6 - @sbindir@/apcupsd $@
    + /usr/local/sbin/apcupsd $@

  20. Reboot.

  21. Test by looking for the apcupsd daemon running in Activity Manager - ensuring Activity Monitor is showing "All Processes". if apcupsd is running, and you switch off wi-fi or otherwise break the network connection, you will a get an "Communications lost" message in Terminal, followed by a "Communications restored" message when you switch networking back on.

Hope this helps somebody - your mileage may vary…….

Vincent

Re: Net client on OS X 10.11 El Capitan

John Caradimas
My apcupsd is also 3.14.13 but if memory serves me right I just downloaded it from the apcupsd site. And it works just fine in exactly this setup, a PC running Centos, on which the UPS is connected via USB and the Mac (an ancient MacPro from 2007, running El Cap, 10.11.5) connected to the Centos box via ethernet.

Works like a charm!

On my iMac (early 2009, also connected via ethernet to the Centos box, also running latest El Cap) I am running apcupsd 3.14.12 (just noticed, time for an upgrade) and that one is also working fine.

But it’s time to get a new UPS, my Backup-UPS Pro 900 is overloaded with the Centos box and the MacPro alone.

John Caradimas

On 19 May 2016, at 01:40, mike primus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

BacK-UPS 950VA BX950U

John Caradimas
Shall I assume that the

APC BacK-UPS 950VA BX950U

is supported by apcupsd? I need a second UPS, my existing Backup UPS Pro 900 is overloaded.

John Caradimas