OK I installed apcagent under Yosemite, what's next?

OK I installed apcagent under Yosemite, what's next?

f-bone
Hi guys,

I was looking for ways to monitor my APC UPS XS 700U from my Yosemite hackintosh and more specifically have my computer email me when there is a power outage (so then I can call the neighbour and let him know its my fridge not some dead person in the house).

I came across this piece of software and after installing it I see an icon on the menu bar with connection status, various info on the UPS and so on.

What more can I do? Use a third party software for monitoring for outages? Use this software and add some monitoring options?

Please point me to the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

BR,
George

Re: OK I installed apcagent under Yosemite, what's next?

Ted Mittelstaedt-5

How is your UPS connected to your computer (other than a power cord)

Ted

I am using a USB cable. The communication between the PC and the UPS seems to be ok. The icon clearly shows that, giving me various info..

Re: OK I installed apcagent under Yosemite, what's next?

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
OK if that is all working then there is going to be a set of scripts
that were installed that you can modify.

This is all command line stuff not GUI stuff.  You are at the end of
what you can do in a GUI with apcupsd.

The real power of Yosemite is the underlying Unix operating system,
not that nasty Apple GUI you see.   You need to open terminal and do a
bit of reading on what text editors there are out there.  You might find
you like a whole world of very powerful software out there that will run
under your Mac.  It really can do much more than just surf the web.

You can start here:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/msmtp-a-free-tool-to-send-email-from-terminal/

Once you can send email from the command line you can add that command
into the apcupsd script.  It's documented here

http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html

Ted

On 9/2/2016 12:09 PM, f-bone wrote:

> I am using a USB cable. The communication between the PC and the UPS seems to
> be ok. The icon clearly shows that, giving me various info..

Re: OK I installed apcagent under Yosemite, what's next?

f-bone
thank you very much sir - will have a look and try.