Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial) [SOLVED] sort of...

Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial) [SOLVED] sort of...

ehmar
I downloaded the source and made sure I had libusb-dev and libmodbus-dev
packages (from Debian), then configured with "--enable-modbus-usb"

# aptitude install libmodbus-dev libusb-dev
# ./configure --enable-modbus-usb
# make
# make install

And it seems to be working. I'm now getting LINEV, LOADPCT, OUTCURNT and
all kinds of interesting things.

Do the apcupsd developers have more sway with the Debian admins to make
sure the package is compiled with modbus/usb support? i.e. Can you ask
them to update their packages rather than a lowly user like me?

Thanks,

On 12/25/2016 11:45 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Maybe the debian admins did not include the modbus module when they
> built it?
>
> Ted

>> Thanks,
>>
>> I did the upgrade, only to find that it was already the most current
>> 9.3. And that modbus support should work for firmware 9.1 and higher.
>>
>> My only other idea is to compile apcupsd from source, but I was hoping
>> Debian already did that properly (it's already 3.14.14).
>>

>> On 12/21/2016 05:47 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>> Run this
>>>
>>> http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/content/?id=FA281865
>>>
>>> make sure your firmware is current
>>>
>>> Ted

Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial) [SOLVED] sort of...

Trevor Roydhouse
[hidden email] wrote on 12/30/16 09:58:

> I downloaded the source and made sure I had libusb-dev and libmodbus-dev
> packages (from Debian), then configured with "--enable-modbus-usb"
>
> # aptitude install libmodbus-dev libusb-dev
> # ./configure --enable-modbus-usb
> # make
> # make install
>
> And it seems to be working. I'm now getting LINEV, LOADPCT, OUTCURNT and
> all kinds of interesting things.
>
> Do the apcupsd developers have more sway with the Debian admins to
 > make sure the package is compiled with modbus/usb support? i.e. Can
> you ask them to update their packages rather than a lowly user like
> me?

Unlikely! Log a bug with Debian. See: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial) [SOLVED] sort of...

Jan Ceuleers
On 30/12/16 03:32, Trevor Roydhouse wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote on 12/30/16 09:58:
>> I downloaded the source and made sure I had libusb-dev and libmodbus-dev
>> packages (from Debian), then configured with "--enable-modbus-usb"
>>
>> # aptitude install libmodbus-dev libusb-dev
>> # ./configure --enable-modbus-usb
>> # make
>> # make install
>>
>> And it seems to be working. I'm now getting LINEV, LOADPCT, OUTCURNT and
>> all kinds of interesting things.
>>
>> Do the apcupsd developers have more sway with the Debian admins to
>> make sure the package is compiled with modbus/usb support? i.e. Can
>> you ask them to update their packages rather than a lowly user like
>> me?
>
> Unlikely! Log a bug with Debian. See: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

I had nothing better to do so I filed the following bug:

HTH, Jan

Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial) [SOLVED] sort of...

ehmar
Thanks a bunch Jan. I was trying to figure out how to submit when I also
found this bug:

Hope it's enough for them to get it working.

Thanks again.