Some questions about using a SAU1000XL

Nicolas Mailloux

Hi,

I am using apcupsd on different APC UPS’es. But there is one model that does not work well with Apcupsd on my Ubuntu Linux. It is the SUA1000XL connected via USB.

If I use Apcupsd for Windows, everything looks normal. However, using 3.14.14 sources for linux OR the Ubuntu 3.14.12 binary package, I get the same issue : Most of the information is not reported correctly. Temperature is 0 Kelvin, there is not batt voltage, there is no main voltage, etc.

What could cause this ? I don’t have this issue with the same linux but with another APC UPS model.

Here’s the output of a the plugged UPS without load :

root@UPS-MONITOR:~# apcaccess

APC      : 001,043,1015

DATE     : 2016-11-15 12:06:42 -0500

HOSTNAME : UPS-MONITOR

VERSION  : 3.14.12 (29 March 2014) debian

UPSNAME  : REGION06

CABLE    : USB Cable

DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver

UPSMODE  : Stand Alone

STARTTIME: 2016-11-15 12:05:42 -0500

MODEL    : Smart-UPS 1000 XL

STATUS   : ONLINE NOBATT

LINEV    : 0.0 Volts

LOADPCT  : 0.0 Percent

BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent

TIMELEFT : 0.0 Minutes

MBATTCHG : 5 Percent

MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes

MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds

OUTPUTV  : 0.0 Volts

SENSE    : High

DWAKE    : 0 Seconds

DSHUTD   : 90 Seconds

LOTRANS  : 106.0 Volts

HITRANS  : 127.0 Volts

RETPCT   : 0.0 Percent

ITEMP    : -273.1 C

ALARMDEL : 30 Seconds

BATTV    : 0.0 Volts

LINEFREQ : 0.0 Hz

LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon

NUMXFERS : 0

TONBATT  : 0 Seconds

CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds

XOFFBATT : N/A

SELFTEST : NO

STESTI   : 14 days

STATFLAG : 0x01000008

MANDATE  : 1980-00-00

SERIALNO : AS0439131704

BATTDATE : 2004-09-23

NOMOUTV  : 120 Volts

NOMBATTV : 0.0 Volts

FIRMWARE : 631.3.D USB FW:1.5

END APC  : 2016-11-15 12:06:45 -0500

--

Nicolas Mailloux, Micronick

Consultant

Analyste d'affaire, Packaging et Imaging plateforme Windows

c. 514 992 7289

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/maillouxnicolas

Re: Some questions about using a SAU1000XL

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
You said "if I use apcupsd for windows everything looks normal" but you
did NOT say if you tried using apcupsd for windows on the SAME box that
you are running Ubuntu on.

If another APC ups works with USB on your Ubuntu box, and the SAU1000XL
works fine on a windows box that is a different physical box than the
Ubuntu box, then to me that points to a hardware incompatibility between
the USB chip in your Ubuntu system motherboard and the SAU1000XL.

Some little things you could try are to use a different USB cable
(maybe the one you are using is a POS and is degrading the signal) or
inserting as USB hub between the PC and the UPS. (maybe there's a signal
voltage issue)

Does the Ubuntu system have a serial port?

Ted

On 11/17/2016 5:37 AM, Nicolas Mailloux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using apcupsd on different APC UPS’es. But there is one model that
> does not work well with Apcupsd on my Ubuntu Linux. It is the SUA1000XL
> connected via USB.
>
> If I use Apcupsd for Windows, everything looks normal. However, using
> 3.14.14 sources for linux OR the Ubuntu 3.14.12 binary package, I get
> the same issue : Most of the information is not reported correctly.
> Temperature is 0 Kelvin, there is not batt voltage, there is no main
> voltage, etc.
>
> What could cause this ? I don’t have this issue with the same linux but
> with another APC UPS model.
>
> Here’s the output of a the plugged UPS without load :
>
> root@UPS-MONITOR:~# apcaccess
>
> APC      : 001,043,1015
>
> DATE     : 2016-11-15 12:06:42 -0500
>
> HOSTNAME : UPS-MONITOR
>
> VERSION  : 3.14.12 (29 March 2014) debian
>
> UPSNAME  : REGION06
>
> CABLE    : USB Cable
>
> DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
>
> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>
> STARTTIME: 2016-11-15 12:05:42 -0500
>
> MODEL    : Smart-UPS 1000 XL
>
> STATUS   : ONLINE NOBATT
>
> LINEV    : 0.0 Volts
>
> LOADPCT  : 0.0 Percent
>
> BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
>
> TIMELEFT : 0.0 Minutes
>
> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
>
> MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
>
> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>
> OUTPUTV  : 0.0 Volts
>
> SENSE    : High
>
> DWAKE    : 0 Seconds
>
> DSHUTD   : 90 Seconds
>
> LOTRANS  : 106.0 Volts
>
> HITRANS  : 127.0 Volts
>
> RETPCT   : 0.0 Percent
>
> ITEMP    : -273.1 C
>
> ALARMDEL : 30 Seconds
>
> BATTV    : 0.0 Volts
>
> LINEFREQ : 0.0 Hz
>
> LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon
>
> NUMXFERS : 0
>
> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
>
> CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
>
> XOFFBATT : N/A
>
> SELFTEST : NO
>
> STESTI   : 14 days
>
> STATFLAG : 0x01000008
>
> MANDATE  : 1980-00-00
>
> SERIALNO : AS0439131704
>
> BATTDATE : 2004-09-23
>
> NOMOUTV  : 120 Volts
>
> NOMBATTV : 0.0 Volts
>
> FIRMWARE : 631.3.D USB FW:1.5
>
> END APC  : 2016-11-15 12:06:45 -0500
>
> --
>
> */Nicolas Mailloux, Micronick/*
>
> *Consultant*
>
> Analyste d'affaire, Packaging et Imaging plateforme Windows
>
> *c. 514 992 7289*
>
> http://ca.linkedin.com/in/maillouxnicolas

Re: Some questions about using a SAU1000XL

Nicolas Mailloux
The box is the SAME.
But, it is an ESX server. One VM is the linux and the other vm is a Windows.

Being said it is not a PC hardware issue.

Anyother ideas ? How can I sniff the protocol and see what is going on ? Why would it work on windows and not linux ?

Should I try a different linux ?

No, I don't have a serial cable handy atm.

Envoyé de mon iPhone, pardonnez-moi si je suis très bref.

> [...]
>>
>> LINEFREQ : 0.0 Hz
>>
>> LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon
>>
>> NUMXFERS : 0
>>
>> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
>>
>> CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
>>
>> XOFFBATT : N/A
>>
>> SELFTEST : NO
>>
>> STESTI   : 14 days
>>
>> STATFLAG : 0x01000008
>>
>> MANDATE  : 1980-00-00
>>
>> SERIALNO : AS0439131704
>>
>> BATTDATE : 2004-09-23
>>
>> NOMOUTV  : 120 Volts
>>
>> NOMBATTV : 0.0 Volts
>>
>> FIRMWARE : 631.3.D USB FW:1.5
>>
>> END APC  : 2016-11-15 12:06:45 -0500
>>
>> --
>>
>> */Nicolas Mailloux, Micronick/*
>>
>> *Consultant*
>>
>> Analyste d'affaire, Packaging et Imaging plateforme Windows
>>
>> *c. 514 992 7289*
>>
>> http://ca.linkedin.com/in/maillouxnicolas

Re: Some questions about using a SAU1000XL

So let me get this straight.

Your Windows isn't running on bare metal.  Your Linux also isn't
running on bare metal.  ESX is on the physical server that has a
USB cable plugged into the UPS

What version of ESX is this?  Is it ESX or ESXi?

First thing you have to understand is that your Linux is not talking
to a USB port.  It's talking to a virtual something that kind of acts
like a USB port, sometimes maybe.   So blaming Linux and pretending
ESX isn't in the picture is a completely backwards way of
troubleshooting this.

Second what you have to understand is that USB is bi-directional, so
if you have a Linux guest and a windows guest running on the same ESX
server at the same time, how is the ESX hypervisor going to arbitrate
between both guests trying to access the USB port at the same time?
Is it supposed to send a mixture of commands to the UPS over USB
from both guests and expect the UPS to understand what's what?  If you
think about this you can see that's ridiculous.

Anyway, the fact that your virtual windows works with the ESX virtual
USB port and apcupsd (which is frankly incredibly amazing) gives you
your solution here.

Just run the windows vm, tie it to the USB port on the ESX box,
get apcupsd running on it, then boot the Ubuntu vm and configure
apcupsd on that to get UPS status from the apcupsd running on the
windows vm session.

A much BETTER way of handling this would be to run apcupsd on
ESX and then shut the guests down with vmtools.   There is a port
of apcupsd to ESXi 4.1 in the contributed software if you have that
version.

Ted

On 11/18/2016 4:46 AM, Nicolas Mailloux wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> LINEFREQ : 0.0 Hz
>>>
>>> LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon
>>>
>>> NUMXFERS : 0
>>>
>>> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
>>>
>>> CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
>>>
>>> XOFFBATT : N/A
>>>
>>> SELFTEST : NO
>>>
>>> STESTI   : 14 days
>>>
>>> STATFLAG : 0x01000008
>>>
>>> MANDATE  : 1980-00-00
>>>
>>> SERIALNO : AS0439131704
>>>
>>> BATTDATE : 2004-09-23
>>>
>>> NOMOUTV  : 120 Volts
>>>
>>> NOMBATTV : 0.0 Volts
>>>
>>> FIRMWARE : 631.3.D USB FW:1.5
>>>
>>> END APC  : 2016-11-15 12:06:45 -0500
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> */Nicolas Mailloux, Micronick/*
>>>
>>> *Consultant*
>>>
>>> Analyste d'affaire, Packaging et Imaging plateforme Windows
>>>
>>> *c. 514 992 7289*
>>>
>>> http://ca.linkedin.com/in/maillouxnicolas

Re: Some questions about using a SAU1000XL

Jernej Simončič-3
On Sunday, November 20, 2016, 2:15:45, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Second what you have to understand is that USB is bi-directional, so
> if you have a Linux guest and a windows guest running on the same ESX
> server at the same time, how is the ESX hypervisor going to arbitrate
> between both guests trying to access the USB port at the same time?

You can assign a single device to only one VM.

> Just run the windows vm, tie it to the USB port on the ESX box,
> get apcupsd running on it, then boot the Ubuntu vm and configure
> apcupsd on that to get UPS status from the apcupsd running on the
> windows vm session.

No need to even do that - just configure the Windows VM to send a
shutdown signal to ESXi instead of shutting down the VM. As long as
the VMWare Tools (or open-vm-tools) are installed in guests, ESXi will
gracefully shut down the guests.

> A much BETTER way of handling this would be to run apcupsd on
> ESX and then shut the guests down with vmtools.   There is a port
> of apcupsd to ESXi 4.1 in the contributed software if you have that
> version.

That version is not only ancient, but also out of support.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

In matters of dispute, the bank's balance is always smaller than yours.
       -- Checkbook Balancer's Law

Re: Some questions about using a SAU1000XL

Nicolas Mailloux
Thanks Jernej,

I use ESXi 5.1.

Ted : I am not blaming anything, I am just asking if others had the same issue and if there is a way I can sniff/see/debug the communication between apcupsd and the ups.

The part that makes my mind want to fix it is the fact that apcupsd under windows work well. Difference is the actual USB driver, right ?

On 11/19/2016 5:45 PM, Jernej Simončič wrote:
> On Sunday, November 20, 2016, 2:15:45, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> Second what you have to understand is that USB is bi-directional, so
>> if you have a Linux guest and a windows guest running on the same ESX
>> server at the same time, how is the ESX hypervisor going to arbitrate
>> between both guests trying to access the USB port at the same time?
>
> You can assign a single device to only one VM.

I know that I wanted to get him thinking about that!  He didn't say
that he had checked that setting.

>> Just run the windows vm, tie it to the USB port on the ESX box,
>> get apcupsd running on it, then boot the Ubuntu vm and configure
>> apcupsd on that to get UPS status from the apcupsd running on the
>> windows vm session.
>
> No need to even do that - just configure the Windows VM to send a
> shutdown signal to ESXi instead of shutting down the VM.

That is NOT ALLOWED on ESXi at least not after version 5.0

The vmware APIs are all read-only on ESXi  You have to buy the
commercial ESX version.

You CAN try enabling ssh on the ESXi server then scripting a SSH
session from the Windows guest to the host to run /sbin/shutdown.sh &&
/sbin/poweroff

> As long as
> the VMWare Tools (or open-vm-tools) are installed in guests, ESXi will
> gracefully shut down the guests.
>
>> A much BETTER way of handling this would be to run apcupsd on
>> ESX and then shut the guests down with vmtools.   There is a port
>> of apcupsd to ESXi 4.1 in the contributed software if you have that
>> version.
>
> That version is not only ancient, but also out of support.

There is no support for ESXi at all no matter WHAT version you use.  If
you want support from Vmware you have to buy the commercial version - ESX.

On 11/19/2016 6:11 PM, Nicolas Mailloux wrote:
> Thanks Jernej,
>
> I use ESXi 5.1.
>
> Ted : I am not blaming anything, I am just asking if others had the same issue and if there is a way I can sniff/see/debug the communication between apcupsd and the ups.

Looks like according to the following you may have to upgrade to ESXi 6:

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/489129?start=0&tstart=0

> The part that makes my mind want to fix it is the fact that apcupsd under windows work well. Difference is the actual USB driver, right ?

No!  Please quit thinking like you are running Linux on bare metal!
You have another layer here!  If you are running Ubuntu as a guest under
ESXi then it is NOT talking to the USB hardware!!

The Windows USB driver interface to ESXi's virtual USB port
works well, the Ubuntu USB driver interface to ESXi's virtual USB port
does not work.  This is an ESXi issue and not an apcupsd issue.

Ted

On Sunday, November 20, 2016, 8:48:43, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> That is NOT ALLOWED on ESXi at least not after version 5.0

Enable SSH on the host, add a key, then run "( /sbin/shutdown.sh &&
/sbin/poweroff ) &" through SSH.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

If you think education is expensive -- try ignorance.
       -- Bok's Law

Re: Some questions about using a SAU1000XL

Nicolas Mailloux
That's how my other linux/apcupsd setups work.

I think the easiest for me is to indeed use a Windows guest and a linux apcupsd that monitors the ups through the windows apcupsd api since my apccontrol file on the linux is all setup to shutdown esx already. I don't wanna mess with ssh under Windows.

Thanks all.

For the sake of it, I may use a raspberry pi that I will use to control the ups. That way I will be bare metal.