Source of the confusion about SMC APC UPSes supporting MODBUS protocol

Source of the confusion about SMC APC UPSes supporting MODBUS protocol

Daniel Born-2
There has been a recurring source of confusion about the lower-cost SMC line of UPSes supporting the MODBUS protocol where in fact, it has been denied by Schneider tech support personnel directly.

I think I have found the source of this confusion which seems to emanate from apcupsd's documentation itself:

In section http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#modbus-driver of the manual, it is stated:
"...That said, APC knowledge base article FA164737 indicates MODBUS support is available for the majority of the SMC, SMT, and SMX model lines..."

However, in the referenced knowledge base article FA164737, it is in fact stated:
"The following Smart-UPS models have Modbus
support:
SMT models with firmware UPS9.0 or
higher
SMX models with firmware UPS10.0 or
higher
• All versions of SRT models
<...>
For more information on firmware updates,
please consult the Knowledge Base Article
FA164737 (“How do I update the firmware of
my SMT, SMX, SMC or SRT series Smart-
UPS?”) in the Support section of APC.com
(http://www.apc.com/site/support/index.cf
m/faq/ )"

Although Schneider talks about updating the firmware on models SMT, SMX, SMC and SRT, it only mentions support for MODBUS on all but the SMC series UPSes.

I believe this is where the confusion starts and it was sufficiently unclear (or sufficiently promising) for me to get an SMC1000, believing it would be possible to make it work with the MODBUS protocol with nothing more than a firmware upgrade.

Without blaming the apcupsd documentation itself, I believe it should still be clarified concerning the SMC line, to remove any confusion and avoid people being disappointed after purchasing an SMC line UPS.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: Source of the confusion about SMC APC UPSes supporting MODBUS protocol

Ted Mittelstaedt-5

On the other hand if enough people buy SMC UPSes and then return them
the resulting costs and blowback to APC might stimulate them to fix the
issue.

(In the US under the UCC you have 30 days to return a purchase no
questions asked)

Ted

On 3/9/2017 6:21 PM, Daniel Born wrote:

> There has been a recurring source of confusion about the lower-cost SMC
> line of UPSes supporting the MODBUS protocol where in fact, it has been
> denied by Schneider tech support personnel directly.
>
> I think I have found the source of this confusion which seems to emanate
> from apcupsd's documentation itself:
>
> In section http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#modbus-driver of
> the manual, it is stated:
> "/...That said, APC knowledge base article FA164737 indicates MODBUS
> support is available for the majority of the //*SMC*//, SMT, and SMX
> model lines.../"
>
> However, in the referenced knowledge base article FA164737, it is in
> fact stated:
> "/The following Smart-UPS models have Modbus//
> //support://
> //• *SMT* models with firmware UPS9.0 or//
> //higher//
> //• *SMX* models with firmware UPS10.0 or//
> //higher//
> //• All versions of *SRT* models//
> //<...>//
> //For more information on firmware updates,//
> //please consult the Knowledge Base Article//
> //FA164737 (“How do I update the firmware of//
> //my *SMT*, *SMX*, SMC or *SRT* series Smart-//
> //UPS?”) in the Support section of APC.com//
> //(http://www.apc.com/site/support/index.cf//
> //m/faq/ /)"
>
> Although Schneider talks about /updating/ the firmware on models SMT,
> SMX, SMC and SRT, it only mentions /support/ for MODBUS on all _but_ the
> SMC series UPSes.
>
> I believe this is where the confusion starts and it was sufficiently
> unclear (or sufficiently promising) for me to get an SMC1000, believing
> it would be possible to make it work with the MODBUS protocol with
> nothing more than a firmware upgrade.
>
> Without blaming the apcupsd documentation itself, I believe it should
> still be clarified concerning the SMC line, to remove any confusion and
> avoid people being disappointed after purchasing an SMC line UPS.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

> dictionary content that is easy and intuitive to access. Sign up for an
> http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: Source of the confusion about SMC APC UPSes supporting MODBUS protocol

Daniel Born-2
As much as I would love for my SMC model UPS to support the MODBUS
protocol, I can't really blame APC for any false advertising or a
"defective" unit.

I will keep the UPS as it does the job it is intended for. I blame
myself for not doing my homework properly before the purchase.

I'd like it if the apcupsd documentation was corrected so it doesn't
lead people to believe certain incorrect informations but in the end,
it's my responsibility to make sure before buying.

My current setup doesn't give me any extra "nice to have" information
but it does get the computers connected to the UPS, shut down in the
event of a power failure.

Daniel