Updated APCUPSD for El Capitan (or a solution for a noob)?

Updated APCUPSD for El Capitan (or a solution for a noob)?

mike primus
Hello all-

I have a APC Smart UPS 1000 that is connected via USB to my unraid server.  This works correctly.

I also have APCUPSD correctly running on a Windows PC virtual machine slaved to this server.

I am trying to install the Mac version onto a VM running El Capitan.

I have read about the issues and have run into them myself as it states the current version of APCUPSD is not compatible with El Capitan.

My question is has anyone successfully modified the source to get this to work with El Capitan or is there a new released version of APCUPSD that is in the works that addresses this issue?

I read a post or two about modifying the source, but gotta be honest, I am a complete noob as it relates to that.

Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

mike

Re: Updated APCUPSD for El Capitan (or a solution for a noob)?

Adam Kropelin-3
I've identified two issues that need to be tracked down before it is worth making a release:

1. Occasional failure to connect to the UPS over USB when UPS is attached at boot. This happens maybe 25% of the time and is resolved by disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable after the system has booted.

2. Repeatable crash shortly after power returns after an outage.

I will work on these with priority, but my free time is very limited right now.

--Adam

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Mike Primus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Adam-

Understand 100%!  Thank you very much for the update!  And I appreciate the work that you have already spent on this application.

Thanks again

Mike

On May 2, 2016 7:04 PM, "Adam Kropelin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've identified two issues that need to be tracked down before it is worth making a release:

Status update:
> 1. Occasional failure to connect to the UPS over USB when UPS is attached at boot. This happens maybe 25% of the time and is resolved by disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable after the system has booted.

This is happening on cold boots only. For some reason on a cold boot, OS X does not obey our kext and attaches its own UPS monitor instead, causing apcupsd to fail to attach to the UPS. Warm boots are working fine. The kext is digitally signed and passes "kextutil -t" tests. I need to get kextd logging enabled to hopefully understand what is going on.

> 2. Repeatable crash shortly after power returns after an outage.

This was due to bugs and missing capabilities in the Darwin port of libusb-0.1.12. I have fixed the issues in libusb and am no longer seeing any crashes.

--Adam

Re: Updated APCUPSD for El Capitan (or a solution for a noob)?

mike primus
Thanks for releasing version 3.14.14!  I have installed it on my Mac and seems to be working quite nicely!  Appreciate all the hard work.