Which cable for a backupups 650 pro?

jrd-apcupsd
Hi all.  Newbie here, so please forgive the dumb question.

I have a backupups pro 650, and want to start using it to power my
server.  I'm having a hard time figuring out which cable I want to use
to interface to it.  Some dox say serial, some say it speaks usb.  I'm
happy to make up a cable if I can figure out which one.

Thanks in advance for any info

Re: Which cable for a backupups 650 pro?

Oliver Koch
Hi,

[hidden email] schrieb:

> Hi all.  Newbie here, so please forgive the dumb question.
>
> I have a backupups pro 650, and want to start using it to power my
> server.  I'm having a hard time figuring out which cable I want to use
> to interface to it.  Some dox say serial, some say it speaks usb.  I'm
> happy to make up a cable if I can figure out which one.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info

I think both types of cable will work fine. I have a 650 UPS too and I'm
using the usb cable. I'm running FreeBSD 5.4p7 on my server and I don't
have any problems with the usb connection to the APC UPS.

Which OS do you want to use?

Kind regards,

Olli

--
Oliver Koch Tel.: 05323/72-2626
Rechenzentrum TU Clausthal Fax: 05323/72-3536

    From: Oliver Koch <[hidden email]>
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:23:04 +0200

    Hi,

    [hidden email] schrieb:

    > Hi all.  Newbie here, so please forgive the dumb question.
    >
    > I have a backupups pro 650, and want to start using it to power my
    > server.  I'm having a hard time figuring out which cable I want to use
    > to interface to it.  Some dox say serial, some say it speaks usb.  I'm
    > happy to make up a cable if I can figure out which one.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any info

    I think both types of cable will work fine. I have a 650 UPS too and I'm
    using the usb cable.

Part number?  Pinout?
                         I'm running FreeBSD 5.4p7 on my server and I don't
    have any problems with the usb connection to the APC UPS.

    Which OS do you want to use?

Slackware 10.1, linux 2.4.x

I probably haven't looked in the right place yet; I really just want
the howto, eg "use cable number xxx-xxxx with pinout referenced in <a
href=...>this document</a> plug it into this RJ45, set your ups type
in apcupsd.conf to this, and go".

TIA...

Re: Which cable for a backupups 650 pro?

Adam Kropelin
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 07:23:04AM +0200, Oliver Koch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [hidden email] schrieb:
>
> > Hi all.  Newbie here, so please forgive the dumb question.
> >
> > I have a backupups pro 650, and want to start using it to power my
> > server.  I'm having a hard time figuring out which cable I want to use
> > to interface to it.  Some dox say serial, some say it speaks usb.  I'm
> > happy to make up a cable if I can figure out which one.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any info
>
> I think both types of cable will work fine. I have a 650 UPS too and I'm
> using the usb cable. I'm running FreeBSD 5.4p7 on my server and I don't
> have any problems with the usb connection to the APC UPS.

Whether or not USB will work really depends on the age of the UPS. If it
was made in the last 2-3 years chances are good it supports USB. Older
than that and it probably doesn't. One warning about USB on the BackUPS
Pro, though: The firmware in some (maybe all?) models is very broken and
consequently apcupsd cannot interpret all the readouts. The essential
ones like on-battery work fine, but IIRC line voltage and possibly some
others are corrupted.

--Adam

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 07:44:12AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
>     Which OS do you want to use?
>
> Slackware 10.1, linux 2.4.x

FYI, you want a 2.4.22 or higher kernel for reliable USB with apcupsd.

--Adam

    From: Adam Kropelin <[hidden email]>
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:38:48 -0400

    On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 07:44:12AM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
    >     Which OS do you want to use?
    >
    > Slackware 10.1, linux 2.4.x

    FYI, you want a 2.4.22 or higher kernel for reliable USB with apcupsd.

Understood.  Stock slackware 10.1 is 2.4.29, I'm currently running
.31.  2.6 appears to have some problems on my hardware (SATA) so I'll
likely stick with 2.4 for a while.

Re the cable, I still haven't found any reference to what usb cable
might be expected to work with my backups pro 650.  The apcupsd 3.10.x
manual implies that the the "custom cable for smart upses" will work
in serial mode, so I guess if nobody can suggest a usb cable to use,
I'll just build one of those.

    From: Adam Kropelin <[hidden email]>
    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:37:29 -0400

    Whether or not USB will work really depends on the age of the UPS. If it
    was made in the last 2-3 years chances are good it supports USB.

Ah.  Ok.  I dunno how old it is.  So maybe I should just give up and
use serial.
                                                                     Older
    than that and it probably doesn't. One warning about USB on the BackUPS
    Pro, though: The firmware in some (maybe all?) models is very broken and
    consequently apcupsd cannot interpret all the readouts. The essential
    ones like on-battery work fine, but IIRC line voltage and possibly some
    others are corrupted.

I'm not sure how important all that is.  If I can get the basic ups
functionality going, and arrange for graceful shutdowns when needed,
that's all I really care about.

Thanx....

Re: Which cable for a backupups 650 pro?

Jorge Fábregas
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 9:37 am, Adam Kropelin wrote:
> The firmware in some (maybe all?) models is very broken and
> consequently apcupsd cannot interpret all the readouts. The essential
> ones like on-battery work fine, but IIRC line voltage and possibly some
> others are corrupted.

Hello Adam,

This may be a stupid question...but I don't know:  Is it possible to upgrade
the firmware on these Back-UPSes? Do they (APC) provide such updates?

Thanks,
Jorge

Re: Which cable for a backupups 650 pro?

Jorge Fábregas
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 9:37 am, Adam Kropelin wrote:
>One warning about USB on the BackUPS Pro, though: The firmware in some
>(maybe all?) models is very broken and  consequently apcupsd cannot
>interpret all the readouts. The essential ones like on-battery work fine,
>but IIRC line voltage and possibly some others are corrupted.

Arrrghh. Your comment on firmware is for Back-UPS Pro in particular. I thought
it was for all the Back-UPS product line in general.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:02:19PM -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 9:37 am, Adam Kropelin wrote:
> > The firmware in some (maybe all?) models is very broken and
> > consequently apcupsd cannot interpret all the readouts. The essential
> > ones like on-battery work fine, but IIRC line voltage and possibly some
> > others are corrupted.
>
> Hello Adam,
>
> This may be a stupid question...but I don't know:  Is it possible to upgrade
> the firmware on these Back-UPSes? Do they (APC) provide such updates?

To the best of my knowledge, APC does not provide updates.

--Adam