apcupsd and virtual machines / halt vs. poweroff

apcupsd and virtual machines / halt vs. poweroff

Phil Reynolds
I have recently installed an APC SmartUPS SMT1000I, and am tuning
apcupsd to my requirements. I am seeking some advice as to whether what
I have done so far makes sense and what else I may need to configure to
get it right.

I have a number of virtual machines running on one of my systems, and I
intend that they should be shut down to "power off" state as soon as
they are aware that battery power is in use. I have done this by
setting TIMEOUT to 1 and leaving apccontrol as it comes, but if that
is not sensible I would like to know how to achieve the effect I'm
looking for. The operating systems are FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Debian
GNU/Linux (testing), Windows 7 x64 and ReactOS. What, specifically, do
I need to check on so that these VMs will go to "power off" state
rather than halt?

The physical machines, except my router which is also the "Master" for
the UPS are set to shut down at 10% battery or 6 minutes remaining...
the only question here is how to make sure they will halt rather than
go to "power off" state (and similarly for the router which is set to
5% battery or 3 minutes). All physical machines run stable Debian
GNU/Linux, with the router having a backported kernel.

I have set apccontrol to touch (on going to battery) or rm (when
returning to line power) a file in /etc, and query its existence before
allowing a VM to start. If the nightly backup process triggers while on
battery, I have it set an at job for one hour later and exit. Is there
anything else I need to do to see to it that the "on battery" flag file
is removed when not needed? Similarly, my testing seemed to leave the
nologin file behind on the machines I had working at the time when I
restored power - is this something expected or do I have something
configured incorrectly?

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: [hidden email]