apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
On Ubuntu 16.04, whether installing apcupsd 3.14.13 or 3.14.14 from
source - when the power fails, apcupsd shuts the PC down successfully,
however it does not power off the UPS, whether i set the SLEEPTIME or
not under the .conf file.

Also, in the logs i do not see any killpower command being executed as
the system halts.
This all worked on Ubuntu 14.04 but not on Ubuntu 16.04.
Can someone please tell me why this is happening and what can i do to
fix this?? is version 3.14.14 having problems with Ubuntu 16.04??

Stan

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Sergey-18
On Monday 10 October 2016, Stan wrote:

> Can someone please tell me why this is happening and what can i do
> to fix this?? is version 3.14.14 having problems with Ubuntu 16.04??

How connected is UPS to PC ? Often the problem is caused by disconnecting
USB or Network before killpower is sent.

--
Regards, Sergey

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
Its connected via USB to rj45. From PC to UPS.
I dont disconnect anything, it used to work on Ubuntu 14.04, but now the
only problem is, no killpower command is sent to UPS, and UPS stays on
all the time.

Regards,
Stan

Sergey:

On Wednesday 12 October 2016, Stan wrote:

> Its connected via USB to rj45. From PC to UPS.

Ok. USB.

> I dont disconnect anything, it used to work on Ubuntu 14.04, but
> now the only problem is, no killpower command is sent to UPS, and
> UPS stays on all the time.

I don't use Debian/Ubuntu but most modern Linux systems use udev
service. Make sure what it not stops earlier than is sent killpower.

I use system with sysvinit, udevd stops after apcupsd and my init
script for apcupsd contains this:

stop()
{
        DELAYTIME=`/etc/apcupsd/get_killpower_delay`
        stop_daemon --pidfile "$APCPID" --lockfile "$LOCKFILE" -- /sbin/apcupsd
        RETVAL=$?
        UPSCTL=/etc/apcupsd/apccontrol
        if [ -x "$UPSCTL" -a -f /etc/apcupsd/powerfail ]; then
                if [ $[ $DELAYTIME > 0 ] == 1 ]; then
                        echo "Attempting to turn the UPS off (if success UPS will be off after $DELAYTIME sec)..."
                        "$UPSCTL" killpower
                fi
        fi
}

You can see get_killpower_delay and init script here:
http://packages.altlinux.org/en/Sisyphus/srpms/apcupsd/sources

--
Regards, Sergey

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
Hi

Sorry Sergey, im not sure what you mean? im not an expert in linux.
Where can i find my init script for apcupsd?
is it under /etc/init.d ?

By the way, when my computer shuts down - i do not see the killpower
command to be sent at all in the halt screen or in the logs. so its not
being called at all.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Stan

Sergey:

On Wednesday 12 October 2016, Sergey wrote:

> > Its connected via USB to rj45. From PC to UPS.
>
> Ok. USB.
>
> > I dont disconnect anything, it used to work on Ubuntu 14.04, but
> > now the only problem is, no killpower command is sent to UPS, and
> > UPS stays on all the time.

Still I will explain. Default installation of apcupsd for systems with
sysvinit modified "halt" script. This is the last run script. Network
and udevd already stoped at this time. So, USB and SNMP UPSes are
disconnected. Only pure RS-232 UPSes can receive killpower at this time.

--
Regards, Sergey

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Sergey-18
On Wednesday 12 October 2016, Stan wrote:

> Where can i find my init script for apcupsd?

I only described the common cause of the problem. I don't
know how this is done in Ubuntu now, but need to check
availability UPS at the time of sending killpower.

--
Regards, Sergey

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
Hi

Has anyone found out what the issue is and why killpower isnt sent to
the UPS?
the command killpower is not printed on console at all before ubuntu
16.04 shuts down or halts.
I dont see it in apcupsd.events or in syslog.   as if its not even run
at all. i dont know what the issue is, because in ubuntu 14.04 apcupsd
worked and killed power to the ups, but not in a fresh installation of
ubuntu 16.04.

Please can someone help? :(

Regards,
Stan

Sergey:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2016, Stan wrote:
>
>> Where can i find my init script for apcupsd?
> I only described the common cause of the problem. I don't
> know how this is done in Ubuntu now, but need to check
> availability UPS at the time of sending killpower.

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Wagner Popov dos Santos

look if there is the file /etc/init.d/ups-monitor. The ubuntu does not have the insserv and it is called during the make install. And then stop the make install.

Em 17/10/2016 06:56, "Stan" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi

Has anyone found out what the issue is and why killpower isnt sent to
the UPS?
the command killpower is not printed on console at all before ubuntu
16.04 shuts down or halts.
I dont see it in apcupsd.events or in syslog.   as if its not even run
at all. i dont know what the issue is, because in ubuntu 14.04 apcupsd
worked and killed power to the ups, but not in a fresh installation of
ubuntu 16.04.

Please can someone help? :(

Regards,
Stan

Sergey:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2016, Stan wrote:
>
>> Where can i find my init script for apcupsd?
> I only described the common cause of the problem. I don't
> know how this is done in Ubuntu now, but need to check
> availability UPS at the time of sending killpower.

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
Hi

yes ups-monitor is in the folder /etc/init.d with the following code:

case "$1" in
    poweroff | killpower)
    if [ -f /etc/apcupsd/powerfail ]; then
    echo ""
    echo -n "apcupsd: Ordering UPS to kill power... "
    /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol killpower
    echo "done."
    echo ""
    echo "Please ensure the UPS has powered off before rebooting."
    echo "Otherwise, the UPS may cut the power during the reboot!"
    echo ""
    sleep 2d
    fi
    ;;

    *)
    ;;
esac

exit 0

But its not being called at all.

What do you mean by stopping the make install? Musn't  i do 'sudo make
install' when i install apcupsd from source?

Regards,
Stan

Wagner Popov:

> look if there is the file /etc/init.d/ups-monitor. The ubuntu does not have
> the insserv and it is called during the make install. And then stop the
> make install.
>
> Em 17/10/2016 06:56, "Stan" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Has anyone found out what the issue is and why killpower isnt sent to
>> the UPS?
>> the command killpower is not printed on console at all before ubuntu
>> 16.04 shuts down or halts.
>> I dont see it in apcupsd.events or in syslog.   as if its not even run
>> at all. i dont know what the issue is, because in ubuntu 14.04 apcupsd
>> worked and killed power to the ups, but not in a fresh installation of
>> ubuntu 16.04.
>>
>> Please can someone help? :(
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stan
>>
>> Sergey:

>>> I only described the common cause of the problem. I don't
>>> know how this is done in Ubuntu now, but need to check
>>> availability UPS at the time of sending killpower.

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Wagner Popov dos Santos

I saw once during make install in ubuntu. When it was almost at the end, stopped the install before copy the ups-monitor because there is not the insserv (similar to the update-rc.d). Don't worry about this. It not seems your case.

At this point (halting) you can't write logfiles. So, increase verbose of apcupsd with "-d 100" in the apccontrol and add a new line at the beginning of the shell scripts with "set -x".

Regards

Em 17/10/2016 10:45, "Stan" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi

yes ups-monitor is in the folder /etc/init.d with the following code:

case "$1" in
    poweroff | killpower)
    if [ -f /etc/apcupsd/powerfail ]; then
    echo ""
    echo -n "apcupsd: Ordering UPS to kill power... "
    /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol killpower
    echo "done."
    echo ""
    echo "Please ensure the UPS has powered off before rebooting."
    echo "Otherwise, the UPS may cut the power during the reboot!"
    echo ""
    sleep 2d
    fi
    ;;

    *)
    ;;
esac

exit 0

But its not being called at all.

What do you mean by stopping the make install? Musn't  i do 'sudo make
install' when i install apcupsd from source?

Regards,
Stan

Wagner Popov:
> look if there is the file /etc/init.d/ups-monitor. The ubuntu does not have
> the insserv and it is called during the make install. And then stop the
> make install.
>
> Em 17/10/2016 06:56, "Stan" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Has anyone found out what the issue is and why killpower isnt sent to
>> the UPS?
>> the command killpower is not printed on console at all before ubuntu
>> 16.04 shuts down or halts.
>> I dont see it in apcupsd.events or in syslog.   as if its not even run
>> at all. i dont know what the issue is, because in ubuntu 14.04 apcupsd
>> worked and killed power to the ups, but not in a fresh installation of
>> ubuntu 16.04.
>>
>> Please can someone help? :(
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stan
>>
>> Sergey:

>>> I only described the common cause of the problem. I don't
>>> know how this is done in Ubuntu now, but need to check
>>> availability UPS at the time of sending killpower.

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
Which line in apccontrol do i put "-d 100" ?

Also by the way, in ubuntu 14.04 when PC used to halt and shutdown, it
displayed just before halt, that ups will be sent killpower, but now it
doesnt.

Regards,
Stan

Wagner Popov:

> I saw once during make install in ubuntu. When it was almost at the end,
> stopped the install before copy the ups-monitor because there is not the
> insserv (similar to the update-rc.d). Don't worry about this. It not seems
> your case.
>
> At this point (halting) you can't write logfiles. So, increase verbose of
> apcupsd with "-d 100" in the apccontrol and add a new line at the beginning
> of the shell scripts with "set -x".
>
> Regards
>
> Em 17/10/2016 10:45, "Stan" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> yes ups-monitor is in the folder /etc/init.d with the following code:
>>
>> case "$1" in
>>     poweroff | killpower)
>>     if [ -f /etc/apcupsd/powerfail ]; then
>>     echo ""
>>     echo -n "apcupsd: Ordering UPS to kill power... "
>>     /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol killpower
>>     echo "done."
>>     echo ""
>>     echo "Please ensure the UPS has powered off before rebooting."
>>     echo "Otherwise, the UPS may cut the power during the reboot!"
>>     echo ""
>>     sleep 2d
>>     fi
>>     ;;
>>
>>     *)
>>     ;;
>> esac
>>
>> exit 0
>>
>> But its not being called at all.
>>
>> What do you mean by stopping the make install? Musn't  i do 'sudo make
>> install' when i install apcupsd from source?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stan
>>
>> Wagner Popov:
>>> look if there is the file /etc/init.d/ups-monitor. The ubuntu does not
>> have
>>> the insserv and it is called during the make install. And then stop the
>>> make install.

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan, Sergey explained this.  Current Ubuntu shuts down USB before the
apcupsd daemon can issue the UPS shutdown command.  File a bug with the
Ubuntu people.

Ted

On 10/17/2016 1:52 AM, Stan wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone found out what the issue is and why killpower isnt sent to
> the UPS?
> the command killpower is not printed on console at all before ubuntu
> 16.04 shuts down or halts.
> I dont see it in apcupsd.events or in syslog.   as if its not even run
> at all. i dont know what the issue is, because in ubuntu 14.04 apcupsd
> worked and killed power to the ups, but not in a fresh installation of
> ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Please can someone help? :(
>
> Regards,
> Stan
>
> Sergey:
>> On Wednesday 12 October 2016, Stan wrote:
>>
>>> Where can i find my init script for apcupsd?
>> I only described the common cause of the problem. I don't
>> know how this is done in Ubuntu now, but need to check
>> availability UPS at the time of sending killpower.

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
Sorry i did not really understand that it was a bug in Ubuntu.
Il report this to Ubuntu developers, thank you.

Regards,
Stan

Ted Mittelstaedt:

On Monday 17 October 2016, Stan wrote:

> But its not being called at all.

I seen KUbuntu installation. It ran from /etc/rc0.d/S90halt:

---
        # See if we need to cut the power.
        if [ "$INIT_HALT" = "POWEROFF" ] && [ -x /etc/init.d/ups-monitor ]
        then
                /etc/init.d/ups-monitor poweroff
        fi
---

/etc/init.d/ups-monitor is a symlink to ../apcupsd/ups-monitor
or (as I suspect) ../nut/ups-monitor.

--
Regards, Sergey

Re: apcupsd does not send killpower command to shut down UPS

Stan
Hi Sergey,

Sorry for late reply.

I have the same code in: /etc/rc0.d/K12halt
This file: /etc/init.d/ups-monitor    is not a symlink, its just there
under /etc/init.d/. I dont have it under apcupsd/.

I have already filed a bug report under:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apcupsd/+bug/1634572
But no one else seems to have the same problem like me.

Regards,
Stan

Sergey: