apcupsd not monitoring SmartUPS

Aaron Thomas

I'm having a similar problem now with a Smart-UPS 3000 as I had last time I posted.

On the lcd display, I've set the ups to self test every 7 days. However, apcupsd seems to know nothing about this at all. In fact, when the smart-ups runs it's self test, apcupsd reports "power failure", "running on ups batteries", and then as the self test completes, "mains returned. No longer on UPS Batteries" and "Power is back. UPS running on mains."

When I run apctest and ask for the interval I get:

I don't know how to access the self-test interval on your UPS
or your UPS does not support the self-test interval feature.

Even though this is a Smart-UPS, which I was told apcupsd was specifically written to support.

When I ask for the status of the last test, I get:

I don't know how to run a self test on your UPS
or your UPS does not support self test.

apcaccess shows it at 100% and online, however.

I have yet to find an APC UPS that apcupsd actually works on. Is there something else I should be trying to get this working?

--
Aaron Thomas

Re: apcupsd not monitoring SmartUPS

Trevor Roydhouse
Aaron Thomas wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem now with a Smart-UPS 3000 as I had last
> time I posted.

What model Smart-UPS 3000?  That particular generic designation has been
in use for years, the last one I saw having been manufactured in 1999.

> On the lcd display,

This hints at what the issue might be... it must be a pretty recent
model with an LCD display and all.

> When I run apctest and ask for the interval I get:
>
> I don't know how to access the self-test interval on your UPS
> or your UPS does not support the self-test interval feature.

Well, there you go. That's pretty self-explanatory. As you know the UPS
does support self-test, you're left with but one possible conclusion.

> Even though this is a Smart-UPS, which I was told apcupsd was
> specifically written to support.

I wonder who told you that apcupsd was specifically written to support
your specific UPS?

> I have yet to find an APC UPS that apcupsd actually works on. Is there
> something else I should be trying to get this working?

The APC self-test feature has very rarely actually worked and indicated
a battery issue BEFORE the batteries have either died or swollen to such
an extent that removal requires complete dis-assembly of the UPS, in my
experience over the last 17 years. I now preemptively replace batteries
every 3, 4 or 6 years depending on the battery manufacturer's
(Panasonic/Yuasa) recommendation.

So, apart from the self-test issue, in what other ways does apcupsd not
actually work on your UPS?