apcupsd not running

Edwin Humphries
Hi all,
After buying a new APC UPS and connecting it to my Linux-Mint 17.3 PC, I've:
1. installed apcupsd and apcupsd-cgi from synaptic,
2. checked that the usb connection is recognised ("Bus 008 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Uninterruptible Power Supply")
3. fine-tuned the apcupsd.conf file
4. checked that apcupsd should run on boot.
5. confirmed that the apcupsd file is there ("/sbin/apcupsd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=db55aac2c4a3ad31417e1970f4741288c2d2f79a, stripped")
Then I've
6. run /etc/init.d/apcupsd start or sudo /sbin/apcupsd and
7. checked operation with ps ax|grep apcups
Nothing shows up.
Then I've installed the webmin module; after changing the default module configuration, I get "Local Host Not available: upsfetch: tcp_open failed for 127.0.0.1 port 3551"
However, the cinnamon power management tray applet reports the UPS battery as fully charged?
Am I missing something?

Edwin Humphries

edwinh.vcf (290 bytes) Download Attachment