apcupsd not self testing

Aaron Thomas
Hello all,

I'm getting a consistent problem with some of our apc ups units using apcupsd.

We're running debian (ubuntu 14.04) apcupsd version 3.14.10 (from the ubuntu repo), but have had this problem since about 8.04 or so, basically always (it's never actually worked).

All of our ups's are using usb cable. Most of our ups's work more or less ok (the daemon reports self tests are ok anyway). We have several different models that mostly work.

However, all of our Back-UPS RS 900's do the same thing: when we use apctest to run a self test, they pass just fine, which is good. (apcaccess, apctest, etc give us info and report and look like they work fine).

But when the apcups daemon runs a scheduled self test, it completes with 'No test results available'. If we run apctest to check the last test results, we also get 'No test results available'.

How might we get the apcups daemon to do self tests that complete for us? What info might you need from me to troubleshoot? (We've no special settings in the conf file other than setting the cable type to usb).

Re: apcupsd not self testing

Adam Kropelin-3
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Aaron Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

apcupsd itself does not perform self-tests. The UPS should self-test on its own occasionally,according to configured self-test interval).

Re: apcupsd not self testing

Adam Kropelin-3
On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Adam Kropelin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry, managed to fat-finger 'send' before I was done...

So your real issue is why is the UPS either not self-testing (see self test interval setting via apctest) or if it is self-testing, why is it not reporting the results. I believe it is "normal" for some UPSes to clear their test results some time after the test is run. That could be what is happening to you.

--Adam

Re: apcupsd not self testing

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
On 4/17/2015 5:37 AM, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Adam Kropelin <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Aaron Thomas <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Hello all,
>
>         I'm getting a consistent problem with some of our apc ups units
>         using apcupsd.
>
>         We're running debian (ubuntu 14.04) apcupsd version 3.14.10
>         (from the ubuntu repo), but have had this problem since about
>         8.04 or so, basically always (it's never actually worked).
>
>         All of our ups's are using usb cable. Most of our ups's work
>         more or less ok (the daemon reports self tests are ok anyway).
>         We have several different models that mostly work.
>
>         However, all of our Back-UPS RS 900's do the same thing: when we
>         use apctest to run a self test, they pass just fine, which is
>         good. (apcaccess, apctest, etc give us info and report and look
>         like they work fine).
>
>         But when the apcups daemon runs a scheduled self test, it
>         completes with 'No test results available'. If we run apctest to
>         check the last test results, we also get 'No test results
>         available'.
>
>         How might we get the apcups daemon to do self tests that
>         complete for us? What info might you need from me to
>         troubleshoot? (We've no special settings in the conf file other
>         than setting the cable type to usb).
>

>     apcupsd itself does not perform self-tests. The UPS should self-test
>     on its own occasionally,according to configured self-test interval).
>

> Sorry, managed to fat-finger 'send' before I was done...
>
> So your real issue is why is the UPS either not self-testing (see self
> test interval setting via apctest) or if it is self-testing, why is it
> not reporting the results. I believe it is "normal" for some UPSes to
> clear their test results some time after the test is run. That could be
> what is happening to you.

The BackUPS product line started out life without the ability to run
automatic self tests.  The only way to self test it was the button on
the front. Nor did it report status via UPSlink.  Only dumb signalling
via serial port.

Over the years APC added some of these features but they are not
consistent across all versions.  For example I have an older BackUPS
500 and a newer one, both with USB ports.  One works with apcupsd the
other does not.

It is a bit risky to assume SmartUPS features exist in BackUPS devices.
If you need SmartUPS features buy a SmartUPS.

Ted

> --Adam

> Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises
> http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual- event?utm_

Re: apcupsd not self testing

Aaron Thomas
I'm having a similar problem now with a Smart-UPS 3000.

On the lcd display, I've set the ups to self test every 7 days. However, apcupsd seems to know nothing about this at all. In fact, when the smart-ups runs it's self test, apcupsd reports "power failure", "running on ups batteries", and then as the self test completes, "mains returned. No longer on UPS Batteries" and "Power is back. UPS running on mains."

When I run apctest and ask for the interval I get:

I don't know how to access the self-test interval on your UPS
or your UPS does not support the self-test interval feature.

Even though this is a smart-UPS, which I was told apcupsd was specifically written to support.

When I ask for the status of the last test, I get:

I don't know how to run a self test on your UPS
or your UPS does not support self test.

apcaccess shows it at 100% and online, however.

I have yet to find an APC UPS that apcupsd actually works on. Is there something else I should be trying to get this working?
--
Aaron Thomas