apcupsd power down error with freebsd 5.4

apcupsd power down error with freebsd 5.4

dave-5
Hello,
    I'm noticing a recent very undesired behavior under freebsd 5.4 with
apcupsd port installed. I get periodic flickers below are emails from two of
them oday and a power returned message, somewhere, somehow the box isn't
getting notified, because it totally powers down. I have to restart it by
hitting the machine's power button, even though their only flickers. Has
anyone lse seen this?
Thanks.
Dave.
PS, the ups is an rs 1500.

Subject: zeus.davemehler.net Power Failure !!!

zeus.davemehler.net Power Failure !!!

APC      : 001,035,0885
DATE     : Thu Sep 08 08:15:25 EDT 2005
HOSTNAME : zeus.davemehler.net
RELEASE  : 3.10.17a
VERSION  : 3.10.17a (22 April 2005) freebsd
UPSNAME  : test
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : Back-UPS RS 1500
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Thu Sep 01 19:52:19 EDT 2005
STATUS   : ONBATT
LINEV    : 120.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :  18.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  49.0 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
LOTRANS  : 097.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 138.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV    : 26.3 Volts
NUMXFERS : 1
XONBATT  : Thu Sep 08 08:15:19 EDT 2005
TONBATT  : 6 seconds
CUMONBATT: 6 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x02068010 Status Flag
MANDATE  : 2003-08-26
SERIALNO : JB0335009258
BATTDATE : 2001-09-25
NOMBATTV :  24.0
FIRMWARE : .g8 .D USB FW:g8
APCMODEL : Back-UPS RS 1500
END APC  : Thu Sep 08 08:15:25 EDT 2005

zeus.davemehler.net Power Failure !!!

APC      : 001,035,0911
DATE     : Thu Sep 08 08:15:37 EDT 2005
HOSTNAME : zeus.davemehler.net
RELEASE  : 3.10.17a
VERSION  : 3.10.17a (22 April 2005) freebsd
UPSNAME  : test
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : Back-UPS RS 1500
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Thu Sep 01 19:52:19 EDT 2005
STATUS   : ONBATT
LINEV    : 121.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :  17.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  50.6 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
LOTRANS  : 097.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 138.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV    : 24.4 Volts
NUMXFERS : 2
XONBATT  : Thu Sep 08 08:15:31 EDT 2005
TONBATT  : 6 seconds
CUMONBATT: 18 seconds
XOFFBATT : Thu Sep 08 08:15:31 EDT 2005
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x020E8010 Status Flag
MANDATE  : 2003-08-26
SERIALNO : JB0335009258
BATTDATE : 2001-09-25
NOMBATTV :  24.0
FIRMWARE : .g8 .D USB FW:g8
APCMODEL : Back-UPS RS 1500
END APC  : Thu Sep 08 08:15:37 EDT 2005

Re: apcupsd power down error with freebsd 5.4

Adam Kropelin
dave wrote:

> Hello,
>    I'm noticing a recent very undesired behavior under freebsd 5.4
> with apcupsd port installed. I get periodic flickers below are emails
> from two of them oday and a power returned message, somewhere,
> somehow the box isn't getting notified, because it totally powers
> down. I have to restart it by hitting the machine's power button,
> even though their only flickers. Has anyone lse seen this?
> Thanks.
> Dave.
> PS, the ups is an rs 1500.

With outages of six seconds in length (I'm guessing that from your
status output) apcupsd should not be trying to shutdown your machine
unless you have it configured to do that. What is your apcupsd.conf set
up like?

--Adam

Re: apcupsd power down error with freebsd 5.4

Adam Kropelin
When asking for help on a public list it's a good idea to keep the list
cc:ed so others can benefit from the discussion or make suggestions of
their own. It's easy to overlook because the mailing list defaults to
replying to the sender only. I've added apcupsd-users back to the cc:
list.

dave wrote:

> Hi,
>    Here's my apcupsd.conf file. I'm also over another ups, this one
> also on a 5.4 box, it is an es-350, it also does this power off and
> on due to spikes, but it doesn't shut the box totally down.
> Thanks.
> Dave.
>
> UPSNAME test
> UPSCABLE usb
> UPSTYPE usb
> DEVICE
> LOCKFILE /var/spool/lock
> ONBATTERYDELAY 6
> BATTERYLEVEL 5
> MINUTES 3
> TIMEOUT 0

Hmmm... there's nothing in these setting that should cause apcupsd to
shut down the machine for a short outage. Please set up an apcaccess
trace that captures one of the instances of this problem.

Something like this should do the trick:

while [ 1 ] ; do apcaccess status >> status.log ; sleep 1 ; done

That will log apcaccess output once every second.

--Adam