connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle
Hi,

I have a APC back-UPS connected to Network device and would like to connect from Centos 6.9 to this device.
I managed to install the application but I don’t know how to configure the apcupsd.conf correctly to connect via the network to the network device which is connected to the UPS.

My OS: CentOS release 6.9 (Final)

Version apcupsd: 3.14.14

The model and UPS cable you are using: back-ups es 700 APC, NO UPS cable, connection via network.

I try to configure it but I am getting this error:

service apcupsd start
Starting UPS monitoring:apcupsd FATAL ERROR in apcconfig.c at line 672
Terminating due to configuration file errors.

Kind Regards,

Rob

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Recursive
On 16.05.2017 15:04, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

> I managed to install the application but I don’t know how to configure the apcupsd.conf correctly to connect via the network to the network device which is connected to the UPS.

Is there any reason for not reading APCUPSD's manual (which is excellent IMHO)? It explains all details, including running multiple APCUPSD instances where only one of them actually has access to a UPS, and shows sample configurations.

Regards,

Binarus

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle
Hi I have tried the following configuration from the documentation

NIS Server/Client Configuration Using the Net Driver

my apcupsd.conf:

UPSNAME <name>
UPSCABLE ether
UPSTYPE net
DEVICE <ip adres>:3493 ( I am not sure this is the correct port, also tried 3551, I allowed access from the device to which the ups is connected, with a port scanner I don’t see port 3551 open)
POLLTIME 10
LOCKFILE /var/lock
SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
NOLOGINDIR /etc
ONBATTERYDELAY 6
BATTERYLEVEL 5
MINUTES 3
TIMEOUT 0
ANNOY 300
ANNOYDELAY 60
NOLOGON disable
KILLDELAY 0
NETSERVER on (I suppose this should be off)
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
EVENTSFILEMAX 10
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable
STATTIME 0
STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0
SELFTEST 336 ( I don’t think this is needed)

I am getting the message when starting the apcupsd: warning communications lost with UPS <name>

Kind regards,

Rob

On 19 May 2017, at 18:24, Recursive <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 16.05.2017 15:04, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

I managed to install the application but I don’t know how to configure the apcupsd.conf correctly to connect via the network to the network device which is connected to the UPS.

Is there any reason for not reading APCUPSD's manual (which is excellent IMHO)? It explains all details, including running multiple APCUPSD instances where only one of them actually has access to a UPS, and shows sample configurations.

Regards,

Binarus

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Ted Mittelstaedt-5

You said this was a backup es connected to the computer with a cable, so
the net driver would definitely be the wrong driver to use.

Please confirm the UPS model number, and describe exactly the cable
you are using, and any numbers on the cable ends (they will be black
raised letters on a black cable so they won't stand out you will have
to look for them) and describe the port on the PC that you are plugging
the cable into.

Ted

On 5/20/2017 2:35 AM, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

> Hi I have tried the following configuration from the documentation
>

>       NIS Server/Client Configuration Using the Net Driver
>       <http://www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.html#id110>
>

> my apcupsd.conf:
>
> UPSNAME <name>
> UPSCABLE ether
> UPSTYPE net
> DEVICE <ip adres>:3493 ( I am not sure this is the correct port, also
> tried 3551, I allowed access from the device to which the ups is
> connected, with a port scanner I don’t see port 3551 open)
> POLLTIME 10
> LOCKFILE /var/lock
> SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
> PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
> NOLOGINDIR /etc
> ONBATTERYDELAY 6
> BATTERYLEVEL 5
> MINUTES 3
> TIMEOUT 0
> ANNOY 300
> ANNOYDELAY 60
> NOLOGON disable
> KILLDELAY 0
> NETSERVER on (I suppose this should be off)
> EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
> EVENTSFILEMAX 10
> UPSCLASS standalone
> UPSMODE disable
> STATTIME 0
> STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
> LOGSTATS off
> DATATIME 0
> SELFTEST 336 ( I don’t think this is needed)
>

> I am getting the message when starting the apcupsd: warning
> communications lost with UPS <name>
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rob
>

>> On 19 May 2017, at 18:24, Recursive <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> On 16.05.2017 15:04, Robbie van der Walle wrote:
>>
>>> I managed to install the application but I don’t know how to
>>> configure the apcupsd.conf correctly to connect via the network to
>>> the network device which is connected to the UPS.
>>
>> Is there any reason for not reading APCUPSD's manual (which is
>> excellent IMHO)? It explains all details, including running multiple
>> APCUPSD instances where only one of them actually has access to a UPS,
>> and shows sample configurations.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Binarus

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle
Hi,

I have a APC back-UPS connected to Network device (Synology NAS)  and would like to connect from Centos 6.9 to this device (Synology NAS).
I managed to install the application but I don’t know how to configure the apcupsd.conf correctly to connect via the network to the network device (Synology NAS) which is connected to the UPS.

My OS: CentOS release 6.9 (Final)

Version apcupsd: 3.14.14

The model and UPS cable are : back-ups es 700 APC

I am trying to connect over the network.

When I look at another connection. Synology to Synology I see this.

tcp        0      0 <ip address, Synology with UPS>:3493      <ip address, Synology without UPS, over the network:60126     ESTABLISHED 4707/upsd

So the port must be 3493

Kind Regards,

Rob

On 22.05.2017 11:30, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a APC back-UPS connected to Network device (Synology NAS)  and would like to connect from Centos 6.9 to this device (Synology NAS).
> I managed to install the application but I don’t know how to configure the apcupsd.conf correctly to connect via the network to the network device (Synology NAS) which is connected to the UPS.
>

> My OS: CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
>
> Version apcupsd: 3.14.14
>
> The model and UPS cable are :*back-ups es 700 APC*
> *
> *
> I am trying to connect over the network.
>
> When I look at another connection. Synology to Synology I see this.
>
> tcp        0      0 <ip address, Synology with UPS>:3493      *<ip address, Synology without UPS, over the network*:60126     ESTABLISHED 4707/upsd
>
> So the port must be 3493

Please re-read the instructions Ted gave in the second paragraph of his post, and follow them step by step. Tell us exactly what cable you are using to connect the UPS to your NAS, in particular if this is the genuine APC cable that came with the UPS, and if yes, tell us the numbers which are imprinted onto the connectors at both ends of the cable. After having done so, consider the following recommendation:

Generally, you are putting the cart before the horse. The first step is to make the UPS work correctly *on the device it is attached to*. Login to your NAS (preferably using SSH and getting a command line, or by connecting a keyboard and a monitor to your NAS (if possible) and getting a command line) and check if apcupsd *ON THE NAS* correctly recognizes the UPS. The easiest way to do so would be either studying the log files or using the apcaccess and apctest tools (they are both part of apcupsd - no need to install them separately). Please read apcupsd's manuals to learn how to use these tools.

Regards,

Binarus

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle

On the Synology NAS: USB port: 940-0127E

UPS,  dataport: AWM E101344 style 2725 VW-1  60 C 30V SPACE . SHUTTLE

The dataport is like a RJ-45 connector.

The Synology NAS with the UPS connected has a graphical interface where you can configure some settings. Another Synology NAS is successfully connected to the Synology NAS.
 I checked the Synology NAS and I cannot discover the apcupsd running.

The mentioned tools apcaccess and apctest I cannot find either.

I found a program: apcsmart

Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.1

Kind regards,

Rob

On 23.05.2017 13:10, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

> On the Synology NAS: USB port: 940-0127E
> UPS,  dataport: AWM E101344 style 2725 VW-1  60 C 30V SPACE . SHUTTLE
> The dataport is like a RJ-45 connector.

This is an important information which we will need later.

> The Synology NAS with the UPS connected has a graphical interface where you can configure some settings. Another Synology NAS is successfully connected to the Synology NAS.
>  I checked the Synology NAS and I cannot discover the apcupsd running.
> The mentioned tools apcaccess and apctest I cannot find either.
> I found a program: apcsmart

This is the reason why I recommended using the command line. I know exactly nothing about Synology NASes, so I can't help out until you are ready to investigate things using the command line. I never have heard of the tool "apcsmart". On the other hand, apcaccess and apctest are standard tools for investigating problems or getting the status from apcupsd, and since they are part of apcupsd, I am quite sure that they are on your NAS. But they are command line tools, so you probably can't operate them using the graphical interface.

Please let us know when you have managed to get a command line via SSH on your NAS where the UPS is attached to. Then we can discuss the further steps. Google for "Synology SSH" if you are new to this.

In the meantime, please show us the apcupsd.conf which you have on the NAS where the UPS is attached to (I suppose the apcupsd.conf you already have posted is the one from your other NAS).

Regards,

Binarus

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle
I have contacted Synology about APCUPSD and I they reported:

Unfortunately, there is no announced plan to support this feature at the moment. I apologize for your inconvenience. However, I have passed this message to our developers and product management group. They will have more research on such feature. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

If I want this to work I suppose APCUPSD has to be installed on the Synology NAS. But no support from Synology.

Kind Regards,

Rob

On 24 May 2017, at 08:41, Recursive <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Pavel Boček
Ppl usually deal with this by replacing proprietary Linux distribution by some open-source like OpenNAS, FreeNAS etc. I however suggest studying those first, some of them do not support apcupsd either (or it is very problematic) in favor of NUT (which has great support for Eaton, or vice versa, from Eaton, but generaly very bad for APC products).

--
S uctivým pozdravem/best regards,

Pavel Boček
Jabber: [hidden email]
+420 739 190 151
http://www.hwworld.cz (kondenzátory, akumulátory, baterie aj./capacitors and more)
http://www.hardwareinsights.com (power supply reviews and more)

On 26.05.2017 10:56, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

> I have contacted Synology about APCUPSD and I they reported:
>
> Unfortunately, there is no announced plan to support this feature at the
> moment. I apologize for your inconvenience. However, I have passed this
> message to our developers and product management group. They will have
> more research on such feature. Thank you for bringing this issue to our
> attention.
>
> If I want this to work I suppose APCUPSD has to be installed on the
> Synology NAS. But no support from Synology.

Please forgive me, but it seems I don't get it.

In your first post, you have written: "I managed to install the
application ...". How did you mean this?

Of course, you have to install (and correctly configure) apcupsd on the
device *where the UPS is attached to* before another instance of apcupsd
(on another device) can connect to the apcupsd instance on the first device.

So, if you can't install apcupsd on the device where the UPS is attached
to, then you can't monitor the UPS via network. Pretty clear, isn't it?

Regards,

Binarus

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle
I installed APCUPSD on the centos 6.9 OS.  Not on the Synology NAS which has the APC UPS connected.

So, if you can't install apcupsd on the device where the UPS is attached
to, then you can't monitor the UPS via network. Pretty clear, isn't it?

Synology says it is not supported, apcupsd. I don’t know yet if it can be done unsupported. I am trying to find out which implementation is done on the Synology NAS.

Regards,

Rob

On 26 May 2017, at 19:49, Binarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Brad Morgan
  • I installed APCUPSD on the centos 6.9 OS.  Not on the Synology NAS which has the APC UPS connected.

  • So, if you can't install apcupsd on the device where the UPS is attached
    to, then you can't monitor the UPS via network. Pretty clear, isn't it?

So it should be obvious, you need to connect the APC UPS to the system with Centos 6.9 OS installed. Other systems in your network (but probably not the Synology NAS) can then network connect to the Centos system.

On 26.05.2017 21:37, Brad Morgan wrote:

>   * I installed APCUPSD on the centos 6.9 OS.  Not on the Synology NAS
>     which has the APC UPS connected.
>

>       * So, if you can't install apcupsd on the device where the UPS is
>         attached
>         to, then you can't monitor the UPS via network. Pretty clear,
>         isn't it?
>

>     So it should be obvious, you need to connect the APC UPS to the
>     system with Centos 6.9 OS installed. Other systems in your network
>     (but probably not the Synology NAS) can then network connect to the
>     Centos system.

You are right provided that he has his CentOS system besides his
Synology NAS. But chances are that the NAS is in a separate room, i.e.
the NAS is "far" away from his CentOS system. Since he obviously wants
to protect his NAS against power failures, connecting the CentOS system
to the UPS would be complicated then:

- He could place the UPS besides his NAS and connect the NAS power input
to the UPS's power outlet. Then he could connect the UPS's data port to
his CentOS system. This would probably mean making his own data cable
because the genuine data cable probably is not long enough.

- He could place the UPS besides his CentOS system and connect the UPS's
data port to the CentOS system using the genuine cable. But then he
would have to lay a power cable from the UPS's power outlet to his NAS's
power input, possibly over a long distance.

Both variants might not be possible at all because he eventually can't
lay cables over long distances in his apartment / house.

Furthermore, to have the NAS actually shut down in case of power
failures, he would need some tricky scripts (for example, he could have
apcupsd on his CentOS box run a script in case of a power failure, where
the script logs into his NAS via SSH and then issues a shutdown command
there - I have done such things in similar situations).

Finally, there might be problems due to grounding if the data port of
the UPS is connected to a device whose power input is not connected to
the UPS's power outlet as well. Thus, to be on the safe side, he would
have to connect both devices' power inputs to the UPS power outlet in
every case.

Regards,

Binarus

On 26.05.2017 20:29, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

> I installed APCUPSD on the centos 6.9 OS.  Not on the Synology NAS which
> has the APC UPS connected.
>
>> So, if you can't install apcupsd on the device where the UPS is attached
>> to, then you can't monitor the UPS via network. Pretty clear, isn't it?
>
> Synology says it is not supported, apcupsd. I don’t know yet if it can
> be done unsupported. I am trying to find out which implementation is
> done on the Synology NAS.

Usually, the NAS OS is some Linux variant, possibly modified by the
vendor. Chances are that there is a compiler on your NAS, so you
eventually can log in (via SSH), load apcupsd's source code onto the NAS
and compile it yourself.

If this is not possible, I would advise you to use another "open"
firmware for your NAS, like Pavel already has suggested.

Regards,

Binarus

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle
I didn’t have a reply yet from the Vendor.

The machine running CentOS, the UPS and the Synology NAS are very close together.  The are also on the same subnet.

Yes, the Synology NAS I want to protect against power failure with the highest priority. But preferable also other devices. For example the device running CentOS.

The Synology NAS has an USB port in front which is used for connection with the dataport on the APC UPS.
The NAS power input is connected to the UPS’s power outlet.
The CentOS device power input is connected to the UPS’s power outlet.

The CentOS device has also USB interfaces. So it is possible to connect the CentOS device via USB with the dataport on the APC UPS. But then the Synology NAS is not connected via the dataport. It is still connected via the NAS power input to the UPS’s power outlet.

Via a script running on the Synology ( via SSH) to shutdown the CentOS machine would possible be an option. I have to find out what will trigger the script from running and shutdown the CentOS device.
Or when the CentOS device is connected with the UPS via the dataport to shutdown the Synology NAS.

Kind Regards,

Rob

On 27 May 2017, at 10:50, Binarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Kris Jordan-4
Robbie van der Walle wrote on 5/26/2017 11:29 AM:
> Synology says it is not supported, apcupsd. I don’t know yet if it
> can be done unsupported. I am trying to find out which implementation
> is done on the Synology NAS.

 > I found a program: apcsmartÂ
>
> Network  UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 3.1

http://networkupstools.org/

Looks like apcupsd may be available as a package on Synology devices...

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=19378
|from https://www.google.com/search?q=apcupsd+synology+nas|

|"ipkg install apcupsd"

Hope that helps.

On 27.05.2017 12:43, Robbie van der Walle wrote:

> I didn’t have a reply yet from the Vendor.
>

> The machine running CentOS, the UPS and the Synology NAS are very close
> together.  The are also on the same subnet.
>
> Yes, the Synology NAS I want to protect against power failure with the
> highest priority. But preferable also other devices. For example the
> device running CentOS.
>
> The Synology NAS has an USB port in front which is used for connection
> with the dataport on the APC UPS.
> The NAS power input is connected to the UPS’s power outlet.
> The CentOS device power input is connected to the UPS’s power outlet.
>
> The CentOS device has also USB interfaces. So it is possible to connect
> the CentOS device via USB with the dataport on the APC UPS. But then the
> Synology NAS is not connected via the dataport. It is still connected
> via the NAS power input to the UPS’s power outlet.

Then, at least, you won't experience grounding problems.

> Via a script running on the Synology ( via SSH) to shutdown the CentOS
> machine would possible be an option. I have to find out what will
> trigger the script from running and shutdown the CentOS device.
> Or when the CentOS device is connected with the UPS via the dataport to
> shutdown the Synology NAS.

The first variant is not feasible because the NAS in the first place
won't detect if there is a power failure. Only the device where the UPS
is attached to (via data cable) will be able to detect if there is a
power failure. Thus, the second variant is the way to go.

Cheers,

Binarus

Re: connect via network to APC UPS

Robbie van der Walle
I have got a reply back from Synology:

Yes, we implement by NUT version 2.7.2.

So they have implemented NUT.  I suppose I have to try first to connect via a NUT client to the Synology NAS which is running NUT and attached to the UPS.

Kind regards,

Rob