does apcupsd work with CyberPower SX550G?

does apcupsd work with CyberPower SX550G?

Mark Foley
I've recently bought the CyberPower SX550G battery backup. Today I installed
apcupsd 3.14.14. It is not communicating with the CyberPower. I have status
COMMLOST. I have it configured for USB.

I've used apcupsd for at least 5 cyberPower UPSes in the past and had not
problem.

Has anyone used this model, or does anyone know whether apcupsd works with this
model of CyberPower?

Thanks --Mark

Re: does apcupsd work with CyberPower SX550G?

Phil Stracchino
On 07/21/17 23:00, Mark Foley wrote:
> I've recently bought the CyberPower SX550G battery backup. Today I installed
> apcupsd 3.14.14. It is not communicating with the CyberPower. I have status
> COMMLOST. I have it configured for USB.
>
> I've used apcupsd for at least 5 cyberPower UPSes in the past and had not
> problem.
>
> Has anyone used this model, or does anyone know whether apcupsd works with this
> model of CyberPower?

I'm given to understand the HP UPS I briefly had some years ago was a
rebadged CyberPower unit.  apcupsd did NOT work reliably with it, but
NUT did.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications

Re: does apcupsd work with CyberPower SX550G?

David C. Rankin
On 07/21/2017 10:21 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I'm given to understand the HP UPS I briefly had some years ago was a
> rebadged CyberPower unit.  apcupsd did NOT work reliably with it, but
> NUT did.

Yes NUT (network ups tools) will work well with cyberpower via the usbhid
module. Config files are generally installed to /etc/ups and *read* the setup
and the comments in the config files carefully.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: does apcupsd work with CyberPower SX550G?

Users mailing list
Mark,

CyberPower is a different manufacturer altogether.
APC UPSes are made by Schneider Electric.

Pretty sure apcupsd supports only those.

Andrej

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 03:56:04 -0500 "David C. Rankin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/21/2017 10:21 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > I'm given to understand the HP UPS I briefly had some years ago was a
> > rebadged CyberPower unit.  apcupsd did NOT work reliably with it, but
> > NUT did.
>
> Yes NUT (network ups tools) will work well with cyberpower via the usbhid
> module. Config files are generally installed to /etc/ups and *read* the setup
> and the comments in the config files carefully.
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Well, for the time being, I prefer apcupsd for several reasons.  For one thing,
I know it, no learning.  I'm sure NUT is learnable, and I'll definintely check
it out later. For example, I use apcupsd on a Linux host and use the Windows
version as a client to that Linux host. Does NUT support this? I'd have to
research that.

I can configure apccontrol to use alternate shutdown programs and send email
notifications to various parties. Perhaps NUT can do that too, but ... more
research.

I have a CyberPower 625VA I bought a couple of years ago and this newer 550VA.
The 625 works with apcupsd, no problem.  The 550 came with a CyberPower
monitoring program -- for Windows only, and apcupsd does not work with it.
Apparently CyberPower made the business decision to stop using the APC message
protocol/format for communication with the host.  Personally, I think that's a
bad decision; it limits their market.  I for one have replaced the CyberPower
550 and installed an APC unit to solve my immediately problem without new
software installation.  I'll certainly not be buying CyberPower units in the
future -- unless I get ambitious enough to experiment with NUT.

--Mark

Re: does apcupsd work with CyberPower SX550G?

Mark Foley
Andrej, I have 3 apparently older CyberPower units that work with apcupsd on
Linux.  The one I bought recently does not.

--Mark

On 07/22/2017 04:59 PM, Mark Foley wrote:
> Well, for the time being, I prefer apcupsd for several reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to push you to NUT, I like apcupsd too, but
I have found that on some CP UPSs that utilize the usbhid driver, nut seems to
be what works. I haven't researched in depth why, or what, may give apcupsd
trouble with some of the CP models, but in many instances it is simply how the
UPS talks over USB (meaning in a non-standard way)

The following are two CP models are two I have used with NUT:

CP1000AVRLCD
CP1350PFCLCD

If you run into issue with apcupsd talking to these, then it is worth giving
NUT a try. Some of the CP models require model specific handling by usbhid.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

On 7/22/2017 2:59 PM, Mark Foley wrote:

> Apparently CyberPower made the business decision to stop using the APC message
> protocol/format for communication with the host.  Personally, I think that's a
> bad decision; it limits their market.  I for one have replaced the CyberPower
> 550 and installed an APC unit to solve my immediately problem without new
> software installation.  I'll certainly not be buying CyberPower units in the
> future

GOOD!!!

> -- unless I get ambitious enough to experiment with NUT.

Cyberpower has been in business long enough to know what the apcupsd
project is.   They know where to find it and who to send devices and
money to if they want to join the party.

Eaton does this with NUT (and not with apcupsd) which is a large reason
(IMHO) why NUT never ported the newer APC driver code to their project.

I do not think it is a bad thing for OSS to flex it's muscles every once
in a while.  We get completely saturated with all the CRAP marketing
from Microsoft that implies that the world is all running Windows
servers when in reality the opposite is true.   If Cyberpower wants
to believe the Kool-Aid then let 'em.   Schneider and Eaton are smart
enough to come in out of the rain and actually read the market research
reports that show the reality instead of the Microsoft marketing lies.
It does not help OSS at all to support product vendors that do not value
it.

G2

howto get apcupsd signal ESXi machine over LAN to initiate VMs shutdowns

G2
i have a VMware ESXi 6.0.0 machine running with the VMs on a Synology NAS.

apcupsd is running on a raspberryPi3 with 3 APC 1500 UPSs on a home LAN network.  two NAS's, one ESXi server and a Win2008 server, and a few routers and such are connected to battery backup on these 3 UPSs.

from this setup can apcupsd signal the ESXi machine over the local lan to start VM shutdown's or do i have to have a UPS comm connected directly to the ESXi machine to somehow do this? not clear to me how to do this.

i'm wanting to have one central UPS hub, the apcupsd raspberryPi, so to speak.

tia

--
Bill
Key fingerprint = C472 148A 4185 ED70 2A61  B77C B428 3668 5D84 4495

Re: howto get apcupsd signal ESXi machine over LAN to initiate VMs shutdowns

Users mailing list
Hello,

While early versions of ESX were very similar to a full fledged Linux, ESXi changed that and has much smaller footprint.
USB support is especially difficult because of the USB arbitrator service in VMware that makes USB devices available to be attached to VMs.
You may be able to download and compile VMware ESXi Open Source Toolchain for your particular ESXi version (based on Red Hat/CentOS I believe) and compile your own binaries that will happily run on ESXi.

I have had a pretty good luck with it but never tried compiling apcupsd.

Most UPS vendor software for ESXi is usually contained within a VM and from there it talks to the UPS (USB or SNMP) and signals vSphere to shutdown.

I have found that the most effective approach is to run apcupsd inside a VM and execute a script as needed. For example to shutdown VMs gracefully and power off the ESXi host from a Windows VM running on it you could do the following:

Use a portable WinSCP.
Write a script similar to the one below and execute it (via apccontrol.bat) when power is out.
--
WinSCP.com /script="ShutdownMyESXi.txt" /log="ShutdownMyESXi.log"
--

Andrej

Re: howto get apcupsd signal ESXi machine over LAN to initiate VMs shutdowns

Users mailing list
Additionally, if your RaspberryPi already runs apcupsd and can talk to the ESXi host over the network, why not just tell the vSphere to shut down the VMs and the host from your RaspberryPi hub?

I haven't used the RaspberryPi "ups hub" setup myself before but to me it sounds very straightforward since it's just a Linux box.

G2

Re: howto get apcupsd signal ESXi machine over LAN to initiate VMs shutdowns

G2
Andrej,

appreciate your informative reply. never occurred to me to run apcupsd from within a VM, but makes sense from reading your reply.

i'll work on this and give it a try.

thanks!

G2

Re: howto get apcupsd signal ESXi machine over LAN to initiate VMs shutdowns

G2
Andrej,

i use the free version of ESXi/vSphere, and awhile back a casual mention from someone stated the free version of vSphere has an issue doing what you askeda bout. though i admit, i got rather tunnel visioned with my approach, and never fully investigated that.

i'll check it out more thoroughly and see about that. as you say, it is just a linux box really so it certainly should be doable.

thanks