help with apcupsd and APC Back UPS PRO USV 1200VA

help with apcupsd and APC Back UPS PRO USV 1200VA

Robert Sulik | TIPWARE

Hello apcupsd team,

first thank you for the great software.

@first

When we use the APC Software PowerChute Personal Edition the Server gets also a Signal to Shut down, and the UPS Powers OFF his Self after around 3 Minutes after its send the Shutdown Signal.
Thats a big Problem for us, cause the Server needs to shut down complete around 10min. So the above Software is useless, because the UPS Shutsdown first and kills the Server.

i got a question to your Software.

With the APC Back UPS PRO USV 1200VA - BR1200GI with  winapcupsd-3.14.14.exe 2016-05-31

we set the in the apcupsd.conf at this point

# If during a power failure, the UPS has run on batteries for TIMEOUT
# many seconds or longer, apcupsd will initiate a system shutdown.
# A value of 0 disables this timer.
#
#  Note, if you have a Smart UPS, you will most likely want to disable
#    this timer by setting it to zero. That way, you UPS will continue
#    on batteries until either the % charge remaing drops to or below BATTERYLEVEL,
#    or the remaining battery runtime drops to or below MINUTES.  Of course,
#    if you are testing, setting this to 60 causes a quick system shutdown
#    if you pull the power plug.
#  If you have an older dumb UPS, you will want to set this to less than
#    the time you know you can run on batteries.
TIMEOUT 60

so fine so good, the UPS gives after 60sek a Shutdown Signal to the Windows SBS 2011 Server and the Server begin to Shutdown after 1min..

perfekt!

How we can achieve with apcupsd that the UPS Stays alive? and Dont power offs his self after a certain time.?
It there a switch or something in the apcupsd.conf  ?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Recklinghausen
Robert Sulik

System & Netzwerk Engineer
Qualitätsbeauftragter

TIPWARE GmbH
Christine-Englerth-Str. 48
D-45665 Recklinghausen
Germany

Tel.: +49 (2361) 98787-90
E-Mail: [hidden email]
http://www.tipware.de

Geschäftsführung: Matthias Saul
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Marl
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Gelsenkirchen unter HRB 7671
USt.-ID: DE234769771

Achtung: Diese E-Mail ist VERTRAULICH, ihr Inhalt kann durch die Regelungen zum geistigen Eigentum oder sonstige gesetzliche Regelungen geschützt sein. Wenn sie nicht der berechtigte Empfänger dieser E-Mail sind, ist es Ihnen VERBOTEN die E-Mail zu lesen und/oder deren Inhalt zu verwerten. Wie Sie wissen, können über das Internet versandte E-Mails leicht unter fremden Namen erstellt oder manipuliert werden. Aus diesem Grunde bitten wir um Verständnis dafür, dass wir zu Ihrem und unserem Schutz die rechtliche Verbindlichkeit der vorstehenden Erklärungen und Äußerungen ausschließen.
Obwohl wir überzeugt sind, dass diese E-Mail und etwaige Anlagen virusfrei sind oder ein anderer Fehler nicht existiert, der einen anderen Computer oder IT System beeinflussen kann, obliegt es dem Empfänger sicherzustellen, dass diese E-Mail und etwaige Anlagen virusfrei sind. TIPWARE GmbH übernimmt KEINE Haftung für den Verlust oder die Beschädigung, die sich aus dem Empfang oder Gebrauch dieser E-Mail oder etwaiger Anlagen ergibt.

NOTE: The information in this e-mail is CONFIDENTIAL and may be protected by work -product immunity or other legal regulations. If you are not the intended recipient, you must NOT read, use or disseminate that information. As you are probably aware, e-mails sent via the Internet can easily be copied or manipulated by third parties. For this reason we would ask for your understanding that, for your own protection and ours, we must decline all legal responsibility for the validity of the statements and comments given above.
Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by TIPWARE GmbH for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use there of.

Re: help with apcupsd and APC Back UPS PRO USV 1200VA

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
The BackUPS may not have that capability but in any case this is highly
inadvisable.

Once the load turns off then the UPS should turn off.  Otherwise it's
battery will continue to be drained.   Then the UPS eventually HAS to
turn off and when the power comes back on the UPS battery is flat - and
if the power fluctuates within a few minutes of turning on, the UPS will
not be able to hold up the load - and the server will lose power right
in the middle of being booted.

You probably think I'm full of sheet but I have 12 hours running
eseutil on a SBS 2011 server under my belt precisely because it lost
power for a few seconds during bootup that says what you are trying to
do is foolish.

If you want to join the eseutil club by all means leave the UPS on after
the server shuts down.  I guess there's some he-men out there that think
that an overnight session staring at an eseutil prompt wondering if you
will ever get your mailserver back is some sort of rite-of-passage to be
striven for, me I'd just rather have my sleep.

Ted