modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial)

modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial)

ehmar
I recently purchased an SMT1500 UPS and I'm having problems getting
modbus working.

I'm running Debian using apcupsd 3.14.14

My UPS is an SMT1500 with firmware 09.3 / ID=18
(http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-1500VA-LCD-120V/P-SMT1500)

I've enabled modbus on the SMT's front panel (using the advanced menu)
and the "Modbus Address" is "1"

My config is...
> UPSCABLE usb
> UPSTYPE modbus
> DEVICE
> LOCKFILE /var/lock
> UPSCLASS standalone
> UPSMODE disable

I've also tried specifying the serial number...
> UPSTYPE modbus 3S1637X09876

I've tried both the usb and serial cable and can get communications
working with UPSTYPE usb & apcsmart. But when trying modbus for either
serial or usb, all I get is status COMMLOST.

> APC      : 001,017,0427
> DATE     : 2016-12-20 21:31:24 -0500
> HOSTNAME : dualquad
> VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
> CABLE    : USB Cable
> DRIVER   : MODBUS UPS Driver
> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
> STARTTIME: 2016-12-20 21:31:22 -0500
> STATUS   : COMMLOST
> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
> MINTIMEL : 10 Minutes
> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
> NUMXFERS : 0
> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
> CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
> XOFFBATT : N/A
> STATFLAG : 0x05000100
> END APC  : 2016-12-20 21:31:24 -0500

apctest returns the following...

> 2016-12-20 21:37:14 apctest 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
> Checking configuration ...
> sharenet.type = Network & ShareUPS Disabled
> cable.type = USB Cable
> mode.type = MODBUS UPS Driver
> Setting up the port ...
> 0.000 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:71 Open: open("") fails: No such
> file or directory
> apctest FATAL ERROR in apctest.c at line 321
> Unable to open UPS device.
>   If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
>   please stop it and run this program again.
> apctest error termination completed

I'm lost at what else to try. I'd like to be able to get the line
voltages (LINEV) and load percentages (LOADPCT), but assume this is only
available via modbus. They are not reported in usb or apcsmart mode.

The closet issue I could find on the list is here
https://sourceforge.net/p/apcupsd/mailman/message/34852904/ But I don't
see a solution.

Any help or pointers is appreciated. Thanks,

Mario

Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial)

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
Run this

http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/content/?id=FA281865

make sure your firmware is current

Ted

On 12/20/2016 7:03 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I recently purchased an SMT1500 UPS and I'm having problems getting
> modbus working.
>
> I'm running Debian using apcupsd 3.14.14
>
> My UPS is an SMT1500 with firmware 09.3 / ID=18
> (http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-1500VA-LCD-120V/P-SMT1500)
>
> I've enabled modbus on the SMT's front panel (using the advanced menu)
> and the "Modbus Address" is "1"
>
> My config is...
>> UPSCABLE usb
>> UPSTYPE modbus
>> DEVICE
>> LOCKFILE /var/lock
>> UPSCLASS standalone
>> UPSMODE disable
>
> I've also tried specifying the serial number...
>> UPSTYPE modbus 3S1637X09876
>
> I've tried both the usb and serial cable and can get communications
> working with UPSTYPE usb & apcsmart. But when trying modbus for either
> serial or usb, all I get is status COMMLOST.
>> APC      : 001,017,0427
>> DATE     : 2016-12-20 21:31:24 -0500
>> HOSTNAME : dualquad
>> VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
>> CABLE    : USB Cable
>> DRIVER   : MODBUS UPS Driver
>> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>> STARTTIME: 2016-12-20 21:31:22 -0500
>> STATUS   : COMMLOST
>> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
>> MINTIMEL : 10 Minutes
>> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>> NUMXFERS : 0
>> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
>> CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
>> XOFFBATT : N/A
>> STATFLAG : 0x05000100
>> END APC  : 2016-12-20 21:31:24 -0500
>
> apctest returns the following...
>> 2016-12-20 21:37:14 apctest 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
>> Checking configuration ...
>> sharenet.type = Network & ShareUPS Disabled
>> cable.type = USB Cable
>> mode.type = MODBUS UPS Driver
>> Setting up the port ...
>> 0.000 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:71 Open: open("") fails: No such
>> file or directory
>> apctest FATAL ERROR in apctest.c at line 321
>> Unable to open UPS device.
>>   If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
>>   please stop it and run this program again.
>> apctest error termination completed
>
> I'm lost at what else to try. I'd like to be able to get the line
> voltages (LINEV) and load percentages (LOADPCT), but assume this is only
> available via modbus. They are not reported in usb or apcsmart mode.
>
> The closet issue I could find on the list is here
> https://sourceforge.net/p/apcupsd/mailman/message/34852904/ But I don't
> see a solution.
>
> Any help or pointers is appreciated. Thanks,
>
> Mario

Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial)

ehmar

I did the upgrade, only to find that it was already the most current
9.3. And that modbus support should work for firmware 9.1 and higher.

My only other idea is to compile apcupsd from source, but I was hoping
Debian already did that properly (it's already 3.14.14).

On 12/21/2016 05:47 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Run this
>
> http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/content/?id=FA281865
>
> make sure your firmware is current
>
> Ted

>> I recently purchased an SMT1500 UPS and I'm having problems getting
>> modbus working.
>>
>> I'm running Debian using apcupsd 3.14.14
>>
>> My UPS is an SMT1500 with firmware 09.3 / ID=18
>> (http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-1500VA-LCD-120V/P-SMT1500)
>>
>> I've enabled modbus on the SMT's front panel (using the advanced menu)
>> and the "Modbus Address" is "1"
>>
>> My config is...
>>> UPSCABLE usb
>>> UPSTYPE modbus
>>> DEVICE
>>> LOCKFILE /var/lock
>>> UPSCLASS standalone
>>> UPSMODE disable
>>
>> I've also tried specifying the serial number...
>>> UPSTYPE modbus 3S1637X09876
>>
>> I've tried both the usb and serial cable and can get communications
>> working with UPSTYPE usb & apcsmart. But when trying modbus for either
>> serial or usb, all I get is status COMMLOST.
>>> APC      : 001,017,0427
>>> DATE     : 2016-12-20 21:31:24 -0500
>>> HOSTNAME : dualquad
>>> VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
>>> CABLE    : USB Cable
>>> DRIVER   : MODBUS UPS Driver
>>> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>>> STARTTIME: 2016-12-20 21:31:22 -0500
>>> STATUS   : COMMLOST
>>> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
>>> MINTIMEL : 10 Minutes
>>> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>>> NUMXFERS : 0
>>> TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
>>> CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
>>> XOFFBATT : N/A
>>> STATFLAG : 0x05000100
>>> END APC  : 2016-12-20 21:31:24 -0500
>>
>> apctest returns the following...
>>> 2016-12-20 21:37:14 apctest 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
>>> Checking configuration ...
>>> sharenet.type = Network & ShareUPS Disabled
>>> cable.type = USB Cable
>>> mode.type = MODBUS UPS Driver
>>> Setting up the port ...
>>> 0.000 apcupsd: ModbusRs232Comm.cpp:71 Open: open("") fails: No such
>>> file or directory
>>> apctest FATAL ERROR in apctest.c at line 321
>>> Unable to open UPS device.
>>>   If apcupsd or apctest is already running,
>>>   please stop it and run this program again.
>>> apctest error termination completed
>>
>> I'm lost at what else to try. I'd like to be able to get the line
>> voltages (LINEV) and load percentages (LOADPCT), but assume this is
>> only
>> available via modbus. They are not reported in usb or apcsmart mode.
>>
>> The closet issue I could find on the list is here
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/apcupsd/mailman/message/34852904/ But I
>> don't
>> see a solution.
>>
>> Any help or pointers is appreciated. Thanks,
>>
>> Mario

Re: modbus commlost (can't connect via usb or serial)

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
Maybe the debian admins did not include the modbus module when they
built it?

Ted