recommended devices?

Adam Wolfe
I recently had a power surge that blew the PSU in my home server and,
sadly, my old UPS that has served me well over the past 6yrs.  It still
'works' but testing a power failure results in the UPS shutting off and
giving me one never-ending beep.  I've tried replacing the battery, same
deal.  Self-checks report no issues, but if there is a power
interruption, the device just quits.

So obviously I am in the market to purchase a new one.  Is there a list
of recommended units for use with apcupd?  Trying to keep it around
$100usd, but might splurge if it's worth it for extra features or some such.

thanks!

Re: recommended devices?

Ted Mittelstaedt-5
Hi Adam,

APC SMC1000 Smart-UPS 1000VA 120-Volt LCD UPS      This is the best
price per VA I think

They sell a cheaper 750va unit.

Both would be over your budget, though.   You may be able to find a
APC SUA1000US Smart-UPS 1000 VA  with shot batteries for $50 but
battery costs will be about $70-80

i generally don't recommend buying UPSes on Ebay.   the Ebay sellers
all charge shipping separately and the problem is if the UPS arrives
shot, then you pay as much as the UPS costs to ship it back.

Look on craigslist and take a small lamp with you when you go to
check out the UPS.  If the UPS is being sold without batteries then
you should get a guarantee or better yet take brand new batteries
with you and test them right there in the UPS.

To test a used UPS do the following:

1) Put a set of new charged batteries in UPS and connect them.
2) Measure battery voltage across battery terminals
3) Plug in UPS and turn on.  Battery voltage should rise at least
a half volt or more.  If there is no rise - the battery charger is shot.
4) Plug in lamp to UPS and unplug UPS from wall to test inverter.

Do NOT spend money on ANY APC upses that are colored beige!!!
If someone gives you one and you want to try new batteries out in
it then go for it.  The beige colored UPSes have battery chargers
that will overcharge batteries.  (their charge voltage drifts
with age)

Beware the BackUPS series.  Any BackUPS that looks like an oversized
power strip that is lower than 750 VA
will NOT have a data port even though it looks like it does.  Unless
it is pretty old.  Some of the older ones did have data ports but it
is very much a crapshoot with the older ones of these.

"new batteries" generally aren't.  Read my post on battery date codes.
The seller isn't going to drop money on new batteries then sell the
UPS right away and take a loss.   They aren't stupid don't you be
too.  People can be very creative with their lies.

Ted