vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Деян Димонов
It was working at the beginning but after that, it always stops with Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[root@shadow-land /home/vampi]# gdb apcaccess
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...
(gdb) _
Undefined command: "".  Try "help".
(gdb) run
Starting program: /sbin/apcaccess
[New LWP 100109]
[New Thread 28803080 (LWP 100109/apcaccess)]

[Switching to Thread 28803080 (LWP 100109/apcaccess)]
read_nbytes (fd=-61, ptr=<value optimized out>, nbytes=<value optimized out>)
    at apclibnis.c:77
77               FD_SET(fd, &fds);
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) bt
#0  read_nbytes (fd=-61, ptr=<value optimized out>,
    nbytes=<value optimized out>) at apclibnis.c:77
#1  0x0804a67c in net_recv (sockfd=-61,
    buff=0x2 <Error reading address 0x2: Bad address>, maxlen=-61)
    at apclibnis.c:170
#2  0x080494f2 in main (argc=<value optimized out>, argv=<value optimized out>)
    at apcaccess.c:60
(gdb)

[root@shadow-land /home/vampi]# uname -a
FreeBSD shadow-land.org 10.2-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p10 #9: Fri May 20 09:51:59 EEST 2016     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ShaDoW-LanD  i386
I also tried to install it from ports from pkg and compile it from source but always return with segfault

Re: vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Trevor Roydhouse
Деян Димонов wrote on 06/08/16 16:32:
> It was working at the beginning but after that, it always stops with
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[...]
> [Switching to Thread 28803080 (LWP 100109/apcaccess)]
> read_nbytes (fd=-61, ptr=<value optimized out>, nbytes=<value optimized
> out>)
>      at apclibnis.c:77

Are sure sure that apcupsd is running when this happens?

Re: vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Деян Димонов
Does not matter i try it both ways. also I get this every 10 mins or so
Jun  8 12:16:13 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
Jun  8 12:26:15 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
Jun  8 12:36:17 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.

Деян Димонов wrote on 06/08/16 19:38:
> Does not matter i try it both ways. also I get this every 10 mins or so
> Jun  8 12:16:13 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
> Jun  8 12:26:15 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
> Jun  8 12:36:17 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.

I'd hazard a guess that the above is your real problem, a symptom of
which is that apcaccess cannot contact apcupsd which results in the
segfault.

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Деян Димонов wrote on 06/08/16 16:32:
>     > It was working at the beginning but after that, it always stops with
>     > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>     [...]
>     > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>     > [Switching to Thread 28803080 (LWP 100109/apcaccess)]
>     > read_nbytes (fd=-61, ptr=<value optimized out>, nbytes=<value optimized
>     > out>)
>     >      at apclibnis.c:77
>
>     Are sure sure that apcupsd is running when this happens?

Re: vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Деян Димонов
The strange thing is that at the beginning the apcaccess was working correctly even with that error, I start think may be a RAM error could it be ?

Деян Димонов wrote on 06/08/16 19:38:
> Does not matter i try it both ways. also I get this every 10 mins or so
> Jun  8 12:16:13 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
> Jun  8 12:26:15 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
> Jun  8 12:36:17 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.

I'd hazard a guess that the above is your real problem, a symptom of
which is that apcaccess cannot contact apcupsd which results in the
segfault.

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Деян Димонов wrote on 06/08/16 16:32:
>     > It was working at the beginning but after that, it always stops with
>     > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>     [...]
>     > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>     > [Switching to Thread 28803080 (LWP 100109/apcaccess)]
>     > read_nbytes (fd=-61, ptr=<value optimized out>, nbytes=<value optimized
>     > out>)
>     >      at apclibnis.c:77
>
>     Are sure sure that apcupsd is running when this happens?

Re: vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Danilo G. Baio

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Trevor Roydhouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Деян Димонов wrote on 06/08/16 19:38:
> Does not matter i try it both ways. also I get this every 10 mins or so
> Jun  8 12:16:13 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
> Jun  8 12:26:15 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.
> Jun  8 12:36:17 shadow-land apcupsd[2208]: Communications with UPS lost.

I'd hazard a guess that the above is your real problem, a symptom of
which is that apcaccess cannot contact apcupsd which results in the
segfault.

I also had segfault when apcupsd wasn't running.
Try running  apcaccess on another host if you have it in your network for testing purpose.

apcaccess -h X.X.X.X

--
Danilo G. Baio (dbaio)

Re: vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Timothe Litt

A RAM error is quite unlikely.

It may well be that the comm lost event has a role, but acpaccess should not segfault in any case.

You have a core dump and trace and say you've built from source.  Rebuild acpaccess with -g -O0.
(That's letter 'O', digit zero)

That should make the "optimized-out" values appear & it should be possible to find out the cause of the segv.

I don't have current sources handy, but this seems likely to be a simple bug.

fd = -61 is a clue.  errno 61 is probably "connection refused", so there's probably code in acpaccess of the form:
    fd = open()
(missing check for fd < 0; e.g. if(fd <0) { perror("xxx"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE);})
(register containing fd ends up with -errno)
(read_nbytes(fd, NULL pointer)

So look at acpaccess.c line 60, where net_rcv is called and figure out where the missing code belongs.
Probably a few lines before.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
--------------------------
if any, on the matters discussed.

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: vampi: apcaccess Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Деян Димонов
yep after update to 3.14.14 apcaccess work but it aways show
APC      : 001,018,0447
DATE     : 2016-06-08 21:45:32 +0300
HOSTNAME : shadow-land.org
VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) freebsd
UPSNAME  : njoy
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2016-06-08 21:45:18 +0300
STATUS   : COMMLOST
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 2 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x05000100
END APC  : 2016-06-08 21:49:23 +0300

and constantly spams
Jun  8 21:50:19 shadow-land apcupsd[23842]: Communications with UPS lost.

[...]

bill
On 6/8/2016 2:52 PM, Деян Димонов wrote:
yep after update to 3.14.14 apcaccess work but it aways show
APC      : 001,018,0447
DATE     : 2016-06-08 21:45:32 +0300
HOSTNAME : shadow-land.org
VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) freebsd
UPSNAME  : njoy
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2016-06-08 21:45:18 +0300
STATUS   : COMMLOST
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 2 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x05000100
END APC  : 2016-06-08 21:49:23 +0300

and constantly spams
Jun  8 21:50:19 shadow-land apcupsd[23842]: Communications with UPS lost.

I had this problem with an earlier version on an Ubuntu 4.14.  I "cured" it by putting a USB hub between the APC UPS and the computer.  Apparently the APC UPS was having difficulty reading the USB port on the computer but could read the USB port on the USB hub.

bill
--
Bill Drescher
william {at} TechServSys {dot} com